Brewing MisHap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenTheDrunk

Reaction score
Happy New Year Fellow Brewers. I had the fortunate luck of winning a trip to Wild Turkey Distillery in Kentucky about 4 years ago and one of the nicest drops we tasted was the batch called "Mistaken" which came about when a long time employee essentially pushed the wrong button and made a "mistake" with I think was about 300,000 barrels of product. She resigned because of this but the Master Distiller Eddie Russell (wonderful fellow) decided to bottle it and see how it went. Well fair to say that it was one of the most popular batches and sold for a premium price and during the guided tour by Eddie, I sampled more than my share. Problem is, they NEVER mix their spirits with anything other than ice... We were all bent as banana's by the end of the day. Anyway, the point of this post is that I have no idea how or why but it appears I mixed some beer with apple cider and I am sitting here at 11am which is far too early on New Years Day enjoying way more than I should, a MISTAKE. It is NOT the "hair of the dog" because I was in bed at 10.30 last night very sober indeed. I most certainly will be exploring this MISTAKE further down the track as I like both cider and beer so why not ...!!! All the best for the New Year All

Thanks Sidney... Bless the Snake Bite...This is going to be a "standard" batch for me in the future. I need to brew up some sweet apple cider for a mate but after that..."Gimme the Poison"

Yeh, happy thingo and merry whotsit mate, a "snake bite" in Southern England was a 50/50 mix of lager and cider.
Worth mentioning is the fact that it was also banned in many pubs due to it's potent but unpredictable effects on people.
It averaged about 5% abv, and yet after only 4 or 5 pints many folks would be fighting drunk, I could never work it out, a bit like rum has a similar effect on some yet others just get happy.

If you add black currant cordial it’s called “diesel”

Yeh, happy thingo and merry whotsit mate, a "snake bite" in Southern England was a 50/50 mix of lager and cider.
Worth mentioning is the fact that it was also banned in many pubs due to it's potent but unpredictable effects on people.
It averaged about 5% abv, and yet after only 4 or 5 pints many folks would be fighting drunk, I could never work it out, a bit like rum has a similar effect on some yet others just get happy.

G'Day mate. Back too you with the gratitude's. Well I live on my own but I still would lose the fight anyway. Mine is 10.5 cider and 7.2 beer. Nice drop. All the best for new year.

Well I am just enjoying a Snake Bite now and had 500mls..."feeeelin Goood". Will just sit tight before I drive. Beer 7.2 and cider 10.5%...sweeeeeet

Very good advice my friend. I got done after having 2 stubbies at a mates place ...BUT...it was home brew so I blew 0.05... 6 days ago. So in Victoria loss of license for 3 months and $500 fine. I have known I can drink 2 stubbies every day for the past 40 years but did not think about the home brew. I simply just did not THINK...I Eff up and must face the music but I honestly did not know what the % was in the stubbies and just did not consider it so now I am a pedestrian. Fair to say I have my tail between my legs and rightly so. Very sad and up0set.

Sorry to hear that Darren, timing could have been better, if we were in full lockdown you wouldn't have missed your licence, still we could be back at it before you get it back

I got breathoed ages ago, on the way home from work, on two consecutive days. On the first day the young officious constable made me wait 10 minutes in 40 degree heat, did it again and let me go. The 2nd day, after consuming the exact same amount (2 travellers), a different young cop smiled and and told me not drink anymore until I get home. Nowadays in vic the traveller is banned thanks to JACKIE FELDGATE! Apparently the worse thing about license loss is the interlock device and it's associated bull-shit. I was actually jokingly asking you what you drove, taxi or uber? Sorry about you getting nabbed, it's always been a very fine line.

I got breathoed ages ago, on the way home from work, on two consecutive days. On the first day the young officious constable made me wait 10 minutes in 40 degree heat, did it again and let me go. The 2nd day, after consuming the exact same amount (2 travellers), a different young cop smiled and and told me not drink anymore until I get home. Nowadays in vic the traveller is banned thanks to JACKIE FELDGATE! Apparently the worse thing about license loss is the interlock device and it's associated bull-shit. I was actually jokingly asking you what you drove, taxi or uber? Sorry about you getting nabbed, it's always been a very fine line.
Not having an open container of alcohol or literally drinking and driving is a no brainer. Extremely unnecessary for a person in charge of a motor vehicle to be drinking an alcoholic beverage while operating it. Seen enough road fatalities thanks.

But not allowing passengers to have an open drink is just mind boggling. I mean, there is no risk for a passenger to be having a drink. Many times going out fishing etc if a mate is driving might have a sneaky beer in the passenger seat. So I agree with you there, that you should be able to enjoy a beer when not driving.

As a side note, not that long ago in Vic if it was your first offence for drink driving and you blew 0.05 you could get an infringement notice with 10 demerits which I am unsure why they got rid of. People make mistakes and blowing right on .05 is hard luck, then again if I have even one beer I don't drive. Just my thoughts.

Hopefully you get the licence back by the time we lift out of lockdown 3.0 Darren and in the mean time, no excuse not to drink those snake bites!

Hi Darren The Inebriated. Sorry to hear Mate. May be a dumb question, but how accurate/verified/certified is a reading of .05? It may have been .047 - .053 depending on the accuracy of the testing unit. Maybe they take that in to account and have current calibration certificate with the deviations recorded. Not being a couch lawyer but from a technical QA background I am surprised that they can get a definitive reading of .05 without a plus or minus deviation.

Hi Darren The Inebriated. Sorry to hear Mate. May be a dumb question, but how accurate/verified/certified is a reading of .05? It may have been .047 - .053 depending on the accuracy of the testing unit. Maybe they take that in to account and have current calibration certificate with the deviations recorded. Not being a couch lawyer but from a technical QA background I am surprised that they can get a definitive reading of .05 without a plus or minus deviation.
Legislation and case law would have that argument well and truly covered, as you submit to a preliminary roadside breath test and then if you indicate a positive reading are then compelled to provide a sample for analysis on a fixed machine either within a roadside booze bus or at a police station. The reading is accurate and I believe the lower limit is taken to prevent the argument about a range of indication.

Legislation and case law would have that argument well and truly covered, as you submit to a preliminary roadside breath test and then if you indicate a positive reading are then compelled to provide a sample for analysis on a fixed machine either within a roadside booze bus or at a police station. The reading is accurate and I believe the lower limit is taken to prevent the argument about a range of indication.
Thanks Kad that makes sense!

Kadmium you are right about how it happens. I am sorry but I do not agree with anyone being denied having a beer INCLUDING driver. As any drinker knows, having a traveler does not impact your driving at all and is no more a hindrance than drinking a coke or eating something. I have seen women putting on make up while driving now that is an issue for sure...possibly but they are fine. The 0.05 law is enough...you do not exceed 0.05 or you suffer the consequences as I did. Only a few days earlier, I had a discussion with an extremely senior and I mean "extremely" police officer confided in me that he still has travelers when he knocks off work and does not agree with the newish law...but DO NOT exceed the limit and I agree 100%. To conflate the issue of a driver having a beer and road trauma just does not cut the mustard in my opinion. 100% agree that excess drinking and road trauma is the issue but as mentioned, there is a clear difference. Victoria and no doubt all of Australia were banging on and on about having a designated driver and this is correct but to then say to a few going on a footy, fishing, home brewing, stitchwork, crochet exhibition that the passengers can not have a drink or the driver in my opinion again, defies what is logical and what is being complied with IMO. I broke the law and will have to pay the price but I can assure you I was not 1% impacted by being 0.05 but again...that is the law and they need to set the limit to the "lowest common denominator" and in Vic that is 0.05... Finally, the interlock is total bullshit for a situation like mine and this is denying my human rights. If the reading was higher or a am a repeat offender then the interlock is fantastic but not in my situation. I have not heard if I will need the interlock but if I need it, I can not have 1 glass of beer then drive an hour later if it reads 0.0001.. Not right IMO. I am done !!!

Back