Brewing Losses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many litres have you lost ?

• 1-2 lts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Up to 5 lts

• 5-10 lts

• 10-15 lts

• 20 lts+

• 600 lts

• Total voters

Gerard_M

Reaction score
Well we have all done it from time to time. Gas leaks, Iodophore spills, but nothing hurts more than watching good beer go down the drain, or into the carpet or the dog was drinking from the fermentor. Whatever. How many litres have you wasted. If you can, tell us how. In a few days we will see just how these little spills add up!
Cheers
Gerard

I ticked 600 lts Had a pump die when the spare pump was away being serviced. 600litres of hot wort that couldn't make it through the heat exchanger to the fermentor. Not a great drive home.

Up to 5 in my case. 5 too many... :angry:

Shawn.

I am upto about brew number 29 for a 12 month period.
No spills, or other........but got about 5 infections.
Not ever happy with infections, but more pi@@ed off when i cant pinpoint where i got the infection.....
So i guess over 120L down the gurgler.......AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I refuse to tell you how much I have lost, the brew gods will be watching. I did throw out one batch of beer that was kit based (brewed for an inclub comp), was told it smelt like chutney and tasted worse.

Homebrewworld, have a read of a recent thread by jgriff, he had a persistant infection that he eventually traced down to his regulator. The rest of the thread may give you some ideas of where to chase.

pint of lager said:
smelt like chutney and tasted worse.

[post="59570"][/post]​

POL. I've got the roast lamb waiting on some bread 'ere :rolleyes:

I've had a a couple of dumpers over the years. First couple of all-grains made with a suspect C/F chiller didn't help. Then there were the various fruit experiments, exploding bottles etc. etc.

We've all been there. <_<

Warren -

Well, thanks to Tuesday night's tragedy, I've just joined the 20L+ club :angry:

- Snow

I have lost approx 40lt over the years. The worst 2 losses were a full cube of amber ale thanks to my son turning the tap on while it was sitting on the carpetted floor of our spare bedroom and lost 1/2 a keg while carbonating once. I had a dodgy poppet valve in my liquid post and opened the fridge to find 1/2 a keg of beer had escaped through said liquid post. :eek:

cheers
:beer:
Anthony

Mothballs said:
I have lost approx 40lt over the years. The worst 2 losses were a full cube of amber ale thanks to my son turning the tap on while it was sitting on the carpetted floor of our spare bedroom and lost 1/2 a keg while carbonating once. I had a dodgy poppet valve in my liquid post and opened the fridge to find 1/2 a keg of beer had escaped through said liquid post. :eek:

cheers
:beer:
Anthony
[post="59699"][/post]​

Seems you're not the only one...

http://whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au/words/au...atcalamity.html

Mothballs i did exactly the same thing but i lost the whole keg.....

Can we add another category - millions of litres, so that one of our Melbourne based members has a chance to vote?

Lost a bit here and there I have lost close to a whole brew in a drunken brewhouse diaster once.... >hose on pump recycling the mash comes off>---- walk in 5 mins later to wort covering floor. Decide to brew a smaller batch only to run all of it into a fermentor in the dark with its tap open. I ended up with a couple litres and it was a lovely very limited edition ale.

As far as brews i have actually tipped out on purpose well thats between me and my compost heap! :ph34r:

You can't qualify.

Reading what you did Johnno just makes you a working-class hero. :beerbang:

Warren -

Johnno
I am not panicked, not yet anyway. We survived a visit from Duff last week without incident, apart from the lingerie girl putting on a bit of a show. Your effort was not really the type of day that your team leader would brag about. Must have stuffed up the production bonus for a few of your bosses.
Gerard

Last night in a fit of madness I mashed in at 1030pm!! to try and get a pale ale on the way for a club comp in a few weeks

I ran off 31 L of wort into a fermenter, which I put in the fridge at 2AM as I was going to boil it when I got home tonight. It didn't sit on the floor of the new fridge so I thought I would rest it up on the compressor shelf at the back of the fridge, it seemed to sit there 1/2 on the shelf quite happily so I put a keg in front of it and some other things to keep it in place and went to bed. I didn't bother about checking it before I went to work this morning but knocked off a bit early this arvo and eagerly went to the shed to take a gravity reading.

To my utter dismay the fridge door was open and the fermenter was sitting on its side with absolutely bugger all left in it and the floor of my shed looking a mess :( :( all of my hard work was for nothing. Luckily a lot of it was soaked up by a piece of carpet I had on the floor but its still pretty sticky in here. I had only screwed the lid on loosely as I was just storing it

The only up side of it is I managed to get a gravity reading from the runnings, my efficiency is about 85% and I fly sparged with a single hosebraid manifold in a 26L esky. Needless to say my next midnight brewing adventure is probably going to be batch or no sparged!!!

Cheers, ausdb

Back