Brewing Legislation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globe

Reaction score
Gday guys as far as i know there is no limit to home brewing beer.
But does anyone know the legislation behind home brewing i know there
are restrictions in the states.

The main reason for posting this question is i have a nosey neighbour that thinks
because of the amount of tallies i have which is approx 160 he thinks that i have
a business selling homebrew.

I have tried to explain to him a couple of times that im not selling and the law doesnt allow the sales
of homebrew but he still doesnt get the picture.

Just thought id post something to see if anyone had any info relating to brewing in OZ.

its a bit of a boring post i know

Cheers
Chris

Tell him if he wants a beer all he has to do is ask =p.

Sorry I don't have anything productive to say, but 160 tallies is definitely not excessive. If I were you I'd get in first and ring the police myself to ask. That way you can tell him you called the police the next time he hassles you, and if he ever does call them you can show you've done the right thing.

There is legislation. It's commonwealth. So ur local cop is going to know jacks about it. FYI it's about 20l a week from memory. Or 20l a fortnight. Can't remember.

Search AHB and it will come up.

Tell ur Neighbour to f*ck off and mind their own business. Unless of course your selling your homebrew and then your in trouble

Tell ur Neighbour to f*ck off and mine their own business.

Exactly what I would say!

a quick wiki bought this up

In Australia individuals may manufacture their own alcohol without paying excise provided that they do not employ the use of a still. Permission is required to own a still larger than 5 litres regardless of whether it is being used to produce alcohol. To operate any size still for the production of alcohol (even for personal use) requires an excise manufacturing license and excise must be paid at the rate of approximately $65 per litre of alcohol produced.[17]

New Zealand lifted the ban on home distilling in 1996, and it is now legal to distill spirits for your own consumption. Homebrewing and winemaking are both legal as well. It is still illegal to supply or sell any alcoholic beverage without the appropriate license.

You are right with respect to not being able to sell your brew..

I think there is something in Commonwealth legislation that limit home brewing to 22ltrs per week, per person. Of course this has never been enforced, but you can near bet that someone in the future will try to use it against us

And Distilling is very much illegal, so dont even go there

This post from the What's the Law thread gives a SA perspective but I didn't see any specific QLD legislation in my quick scan.

the police are over there now doing a welfare check to see if
he's ok mentally. he wont be too happy about that hehe.
im just putting it down to old fashionisms not being able to mind
his own business.
if its 22l a week per person then im sweet.
as for distilling not even.

cheers for the replies to guys

this is my signature from now on.....

F i just want to brew beer its not against the law!!! :super:

Is it 22L per calender week, or averaged over a year? I'd hate to think I'm breaking the law every long weekend! :ph34r:

edit: damn it, I'd have got away with it if only I'd kept my mouth shut!!

Environmental impacts

Homebrewing can reduce the environmental impact of fermented beverages by using less packaging and transportation than commercially brewed beverages, and by the use of refillable jugs, reusable bottles or other reusable containers.[27][28]

Now I feel all warm and fuzzy :)

Sounds like a neighbor I had when I lived in Brisvagas, only he used to try and tell me that I wasn't allowed to use my welder at home and that by restoring my own car and then building my own boat that I was running a business from home. Some people just need to get a life and mind their own business.

Gavo.

suggestion..offer him a few bottles of you best beer ..but use some preservative..arsenic :rolleyes:

I've seen a post here somewhere that it's 23L/week. I believe it was illegal until the whitlam government legalised it in 1973.

The wiki link to the ATO site doesn't give a great deal of info, it only mentions distillation which wouldn't interest me even if is was legal.

Edit: I had a bit of a look but the best I could do given that it's late was this link.

Sorry I don't have anything productive to say, but 160 tallies is definitely not excessive.

:icon_offtopic: Sorry, I dont have anything useful to post either, but I reckon this may be excessive... Near on 1000 longies

05122009608.jpg

Yes, its a recycled photo, sorry!! :icon_cheers:

Tanga, thought you might get a kick outta this

So what if you do three brews in one week and no brewing for the next two weeks, does it get averaged out? And does that mean 22L of wort production or 22L of finished beer? I currently have 2 in cubes, 3 in primary, one in secondary and nary a drop of those to drink (but 3 kegs in the keggie of course) :icon_cheers:

So what if you do three brews in one week and no brewing for the next two weeks, does it get averaged out? And does that mean 22L of wort production or 22L of finished beer? I currently have 2 in cubes, 3 in primary, one in secondary and nary a drop of those to drink (but 3 kegs in the keggie of course) :icon_cheers:

:chug: DESTROY the evidence...... :ph34r:

I'm inclined to think that the "no more than 2n litres a week" rule is either an old rule that is no longer applicable, or an urban myth. From what I've found, the law says "not for commercial purposes".

Isn't that why the standard kit batch's are 23L, I thought that's what the limit was, remember reading it somewhere.

Back