Brewing kettle.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackgym

Reaction score
Hi Brewers
Moving into extract brewing.
Do brewing kettles heat the water and allow you to boil the ingredients in the same container?
Do they have their own power supply and other features like a cooling system?
Only looking at partial boils for now, 19L or more.

Depends on how much you spend.
At its most basic, its a big pot.
At the other end you can have what ever you want, just cost an arm and a leg, or maybe a nut!
Mark

Depends on how much you spend.
At its most basic, its a big pot.
At the other end you can have what ever you want, just cost an arm and a leg, or maybe a nut!
Mark
Yes, how much to spend is the question.

Personal opinion here.
Forget Extract, get a 40L pot, put a tap in it, get a BIAB bag and some no-chill cubes, a LPG burner and go All Grain.
There are lots of good AG recipes out there and, once you learn the basics, you can tweak them to your taste.
AG gives you the biggest range of options; apart from buying a bag it actually costs less and lets you make better beer.
Mark

Personal opinion here.
Forget Extract, get a 40L pot, put a tap in it, get a BIAB bag and some no-chill cubes, a LPG burner and go All Grain.
There are lots of good AG recipes out there and, once you learn the basics, you can tweak them to your taste.
AG gives you the biggest range of options; apart from buying a bag it actually costs less and lets you make better beer.
Mark
Yes, you have me thinking on that.
Cheers.

Also, if you want to do huge ("standard") batches like 19-23L+, and you have an outdoor area suitable, consider rigging up a pulley so you can lift the grain bag and let it drip. Combine that with the hinged twin-tennis-racquet idea that someone posted, and you can squeeze your bag in no time without burning yourself.

If I was starting out in all grain these days and wanted a BIAB or single vessel system I would probably go with an off the shelf system, Kegking and kegland both have very reasonably priced ones.

If I was going to put together something simple I would go with electric rather than gas and base it on the original electric BIAB systems that were popular in Europe during the Seventies and Eighties.

The old Electrim bins are still available in the UK but I don’t think they can be bought or are shipped to AU. Electrim Mashing Bin - 32 Litre - Suitable For Mashing And Boiling

With electric BIAB like Electrim you can set, maintain and raise the temperature easily using the thermostat. You could do the same with a DIY BIAB using something like an STC 1000 or Inkbird thermostat then use the same stat on a fermenting fridge. You may already have one on a fermenting fridge that you could use on brew days?

If I was starting out in all grain these days and wanted a BIAB or single vessel system I would probably go with an off the shelf system, Kegking and kegland both have very reasonably priced ones.

If I was going to put together something simple I would go with electric rather than gas and base it on the original electric BIAB systems that were popular in Europe during the Seventies and Eighties.

The old Electrim bins are still available in the UK but I don’t think they can be bought or are shipped to AU. Electrim Mashing Bin - 32 Litre - Suitable For Mashing And Boiling

With electric BIAB like Electrim you can set, maintain and raise the temperature easily using the thermostat. You could do the same with a DIY BIAB using something like an STC 1000 or Inkbird thermostat then use the same stat on a fermenting fridge. You may already have one on a fermenting fridge that you could use on brew days?
Yes, I do have an Inkbird temp. controller.
Thanks for the good information.

Tempting. If it came in 20 L and had temp control, I’d be sold.

Tempting. If it came in 20 L and had temp control, I’d be sold.
20L will fit into a 35L urn, it’s the other way around that won’t work. 35L into a 20L urn gets a bit messy. :D If you have a heating and cooling temp control on your fridge you could borrow that to control the urn on brew days?

35 L won't fit elsewhere though (i.e. in my drawer/cupboard). It's excessively big.

I also live in Qld, so my fridge definitely doesn't have heating control :p

20L will fit into a 35L urn, it’s the other way around that won’t work. 35L into a 20L urn gets a bit messy. :D If you have a heating and cooling temp control on your fridge you could borrow that to control the urn on brew days?
Good idea.

35 L won't fit elsewhere though (i.e. in my drawer/cupboard). It's excessively big.

I also live in Qld, so my fridge definitely doesn't have heating control :p
I live at Cabarita Beach 15 minutes from the Qld border. I have a heating belt I use to up the temperature when doing a diacetyl rest on my lagers.

Latest posts

Back