Brewing In Refridgerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brend0n

Reaction score
hi everyone, ive had great succes with normal kit style brewing but haved moved on to better quality kits using no dextrose only good quality malts and cold yeast ( 12 to 18 degree) hence iv started brewing using a fridge held at 13-15 degees. ive bottled my first batch and have alot of sediment in the bottom? dont know why? should i have put finnings in before bottling? should i pul it out of the fridge for a couple of days to warm up to check its brewed out? thanks

hi everyone, ive had great succes with normal kit style brewing but haved moved on to better quality kits using no dextrose only good quality malts and cold yeast ( 12 to 18 degree) hence iv started brewing using a fridge held at 13-15 degees. ive bottled my first batch and have alot of sediment in the bottom? dont know why? should i have put finnings in before bottling? should i pul it out of the fridge for a couple of days to warm up to check its brewed out? thanks

How much sediment?

A little bit of sediment is normal, given that yeast fall out of suspension once they finish eating the sugar in the liquid. A lot of people add finings, but I personally don't bother. I let everything ferment for at least 2 weeks (often more) and then give the beer a nice long conditioning time in the bottle.

As far a checking if fermentation is finished, just make sure you use your hydrometer and have the same reading over 2-3 days before bottling.

Since you have a fermenting fridge setup, with most my beers I use three different a few steps during fermenting. Say you are using a us-05 which likes around 18c for the main ferment. (some beers down to 16c and some up to 20c) Allowing a good healthy yeast to kick it off, I would
24 hours at 17c
Few days at 18c (until main ferment is completed)
Couple of days at 20c (ensure that the main ferment is over and a clean up)
Week at 4c. (allow the beer to clear)

Lager yeast I still do the same thing, start in the correct range until main ferment is over, then ramp up a few degrees, finally cold chill before kegging (or bottling).

You can use a finnings agent, but you may find a cold step does winders for clarity. Also check out polyclar.

You may find your extra sediment is due to the better yeasts at their correct temps are floccing better dragging more crap from the beer; which is good.

QldKev

Back