Brewing In Ballarat!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasabi

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Well after a long absence, I have finally made it back on line. The big move has been completed. Left my old career behind and am now settled in Ballarat with Uni having just started

So hello to you all!

I won't get to do any brewing courses until 2nd year, but there is still a lot to learn until then anyway.

I have located the 1 homebrew shop in town, and luckily it seems to be a pretty good one, quite reasonably priced to. Not that brewing is on the agenda just yet. With mornings of 8C followed by afternoons of 36C, it's still a little inconsistant for my liking.

Hope you guys are all well. Will make my way through the last three months of posts over the next few days.

Anyone new joined up who is from Ballarat?

Welcome back Wasabi.
Whats this they wont let you brew till year 2? :huh: :lol: :lol:

You have to crawl before you can walk Johno.

Welcome back Wasabi. Good to hear from you again.

When you have finished the course we should get together and open up the BBC.....

Barossa Brewing Company... :lol:

Welcome back, its good to hear you're starting to settle in.

How are the lessons going so far? Learning anything interesting yet? :)

Yeah, G'day Wasabi, hope things are going well for you down there.

Shawn.

The East End Station B&B has Uni of Ballarat beers on tap. Top place.

There is one guy I know of mashing there, Jason Jones on Mt Doran Rd (I think, right on the outskirts of Ballarat anyway)

Joviall Monk

Guys,

Yep settling in very fine thankyou. I was thinking the transition to a country town might be tricky, but Ballarat is actually a really nice town.

I don't get to do the brewing stuff until year two becase technically this is a Food Tech degree. Th ebrewing stuff is more a stream you can choose to follow. I have sat down with the guy who is head of brewing and he has told me what the stream is all about. IT's pretty similar to the Graduate Degree, so that means I don;t have to do the graduate degree afterwards.

Kook: Finding the change a bit of a challenge. The first year stuff is stats and chem, and I haven't touched that stuff for a VERY long time. All the fresh from hugh school 18 year olds look just as lost as me so there is some comfort in that.

Ken: Don't worry I haven't forgotten!

JM: Actually after your recomendation last year I stayed at the East End Station when I was looking for a place to live. Became quite pally with the owner (Darren) and I'm pretty much there every Friday night (have just got back). The Uni beers are pretty good, so I stick to them, but the beer variety here isn't to bad at all anyway. Darren wasn't in tonight so the bar girl had to change the kegs over by herself. Screwed it up, and she took off the UNi lager and put on there special Beligian Ale (9.6%). No complaints from this side of the bar. Hope you get to run one of your mash weekends there...I can definately make it next time!

Now just itcing for some stable weather so I can get back into it.

Welcome back Wasabi !

So spooky...I was working in St Leonards today, and at lunch-time going for a walk I went past "Cafe Wasabi" next to the station...And I thought how you were getting on, and tonight there /here you are

Keep us posted on the course

Linz,

Spookier still, I know the Cafe. My wife is studying at Nature Care College accross the road and she eats there all the time!

I think it will be nicer thought when she moves to Ballarat :-(

good to see you back on the site wasabi and to here all is going well.

Welcome back Wasabi.
Good luck with the studies.
Would love to see some pictures of the brewing equip at the Uni too.

Best of luck,
Doc

We have had two OzFests, Ballarat and Sydney

Was supposed to have another one last year, staying at the East End Station, mebbe this year we can get the Fests started again, if so definitely Ballarat will be the first

Jovial Monk

Welcome back Wasabi. Good to hear Uni life is going well.
Hope to see regular reports from you.
And BTW, the beer in the UK is still tasting awesome :D

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

DOC: Damn fine idea. I'll take my camera in tomorrow. I can get some of the main brewery and the test brewery, from outside. I'll hunt down my PHD friend and get her to let me so I can get some more.

TDA: I thought of you as I sweltered through a 47C Christmas drinking Tooheys Old. (My home brew ran out :)) I thought that TDA is just sitting in a some cosy pub somewhere drinking his pints while we suffer out here.

Awrabest Wasabi, good to see you took the path I didn't and will be studying brewology.

hi wasabi i live in melbourne and am giving serious thought to a career in beer making. I'm not into all grain yet, i'm 23 and i'm very interested in the idea of creating very nice beer and earning money out of it. I looked throught the VTAC guide.
the only brewing course i found was a business degree in brewing. I'm guessing it is about the money side of things. This was at the University of Ballarat (which is where you are?) I'm sure you looked into all the brewing related courses and am wondering if you could shed some light on the subject for me (or anyone else if possible)
I think i have to recquest postions in late Sept so i have to get a move on if i want to study next year. I'm wondering if there are any courses in Melb, they can be TAFE courses too. I don't know where to look for them and i'm hoping you could push me in the right direction.
By the way what requirements did you need to do the course you are doing, and what is the name of the course you are doing.
Help from anyone would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back