Brewing Classic Styles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A3k

Reaction score
Okay fellas,
My sister asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told her the book Brewing Classic Syles thinking it was full of All grain recipes.

Unfortunately it doesnt have any, all extract brews. Ive read the start about yeast malt and hops which was okay, but Im just wondering if its worth keeping or trying to swap it for an allgrain book or something.
Occasionally I do extract beers, but I generally work from AG recipes. I was hoping it was full of AG recipes and I could go through and try most of them.

Does anyone have this book that moved onto allgrain? Do you still reference it at all? Is there handy information in it that Im just not up to yet?

Im thinking about getting Noonans brewing new lager book (or whatever its called).

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Al

Every recipe in there has an extract version and an all grain version. So you're safe either way? Well with the extract recipes it requires some steeping of grains.

Al,

If you look at the recipes more closely. You will see that they are also all grain recipes with what to substitute the extract for interms of grain. This is an excellent recipe book and proven recipes. I wouldn't be trading mine in as have brewed numerous recipes from this book with good results.

Cheers

Phil

Okay fellas,
My sister asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told her the book Brewing Classic Syles thinking it was full of All grain recipes.

Unfortunately it doesnt have any, all extract brews. Ive read the start about yeast malt and hops which was okay, but Im just wondering if its worth keeping or trying to swap it for an allgrain book or something.
Occasionally I do extract beers, but I generally work from AG recipes. I was hoping it was full of AG recipes and I could go through and try most of them.

Does anyone have this book that moved onto allgrain? Do you still reference it at all? Is there handy information in it that Im just not up to yet?

Im thinking about getting Noonans brewing new lager book (or whatever its called).

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Al

Okay fellas,

Unfortunately it doesn't have any, all extract brews. I've read the start about yeast malt and hops which was okay, but I'm just wondering if it's worth keeping or trying to swap it for an allgrain book or something.

Does anyone have this book that moved onto allgrain? Do you still reference it at all? Is there handy information in it that I'm just not up to yet?

I'm thinking about getting Noonan's brewing new lager book (or whatever it's called).

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Al

Just got this book and I do all-grain. (If its the same one by Palmer & Jamil).
Yes, the main recipe on each page is extract, but at the end of each recipe is the variation for all-grain and tells you what to substitute -(annoying at first but you get used to it). Check it and you'll see. I had it recommended by some award winning brewers in my brew club and they have brewed some great All grain recipes with it. Haven't seen too many 'All grain recipe books' out there that would be comparable.

Hopper.

What Kram said - there is an option at the end of each recipe for turning it into All Grain - usually just a case of replacing the extracts with some form of base malt. Also gives you the mast temps to use for a single infusion mash.

I wouldn't be swapping his book - it is a great reference for brewing different styles - especially if you are not sure what they should necessarily taste like.

Assuming you have John Palmer's "How to Brew", if you want something a bit more technical, Ray Daniel's "Designing Great Beers" is great - no recipes, but very detailed on how to construct recipes for different styles.

Brendo

AWESOME NEWS.

Yeah its the Jamil & Palmer
Cheers All, Id read lots of good things about this book before getting it, which was why I decided on it, but was disappointed when I couldnt see the AG.

This is the problem with us youth these days (not sure if I still count as youth as its my 25th bday present), No concentration. My guess is that I read the first few things I could see and conceded defeat.

Definitely wont be getting rid of this book then. Think my next one will be from this book.

I dont have How To Brew, but I have read it online lots of times. Wouldnt mind it, but since I can access it anyway, it doesnt really bother me.

Pretty funny that the only books Ill read are about beer.

CHEERS, thats made my day better.
Al

Also, I just noticed that I got an extra barrel. Could my day get any better.

Unfortunately though Im only a partial man. I Thought I was a whole man.

I don't have How To Brew, but I have read it online lots of times. Wouldn't mind it, but since I can access it anyway, it doesn't really bother me.

I reckon it is def worth getting a hold of in hard copy - I used to look at it online and find that I refer to my hard copy pretty regularly just to brush up on things as required. Definitely a worthwhile invesment IMHO.

Brendo

Palmer's How To Brew is the first edition on-line. The current soft-cover is the third edition.

I would definitely recommend getting the "dead-tree" version, especially for taking off for a read during "thinking time", or to cuddle up to at night.

Fine, I guess everyone has voted. Ill buy a copy. I'm seceretly excited to get another book in the library. Thatll make a fourth book that i own, and all about beer. Might have to get a bookshelf at this rate.

Hopefully I can get a copy before Friday as Im flying to Bali. Could do with the read. Probably need it to read if I get bali belly.

Aslo Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels would compliment it

Also, I just noticed that I got an extra barrel. Could my day get any better.

Unfortunately though I’m only a partial man. I Thought I was a whole man.

I was a partial man for awhile .. very confusing. Try the belgian pale from classic styles. I got lots of compliments on that one.

This is the problem with us youth these days ....

Youth is wasted on the young ................

I was a partial man for awhile .. very confusing ... braufrau

I guess you were a bit like my pet cephalopod, born without one of his tenticles .. he was not the full squid.

well i just got home from work and looked at the book. Luckily you guys weren't all lieing to me and i've seen the AG versions.

I do think it's a little weird the way it's set out, but if the recipes are as good as everyone says, i'll be a happy man. Even if i do have to read sentences to get the malt ingredients.

I was a partial man for awhile .. very confusing.

That must have been a tough time for you braufrau. But with perceverance, you seem to have passed that stage.

Try the belgian pale from classic styles. I got lots of compliments on that one.
I think we have a winner for the next beer for me to make.
I've never brewed a belgian beer before. i've been buying lots of different ones lately to try and work out what i want to brew, but haven't done it yet. Belgian pale sounds good too cos i can have a few without falling over.

Cheers Guys.
Back to making Risotto.

What software do you use to formulate your recipes? The book uses the Rager formula for bittering. Beersmith uses Tinseth formula as default.
Your gonna need to substitute some grains as the U.S. has different grains to AUS.

Correct me if I'm wrong someone. When the grain colour is say Crystal 80L youll need a Crystal grain that has an EBC colouring of 160.

Correct me if I'm wrong someone. When the grain colour is say Crystal 80L youll need a Crystal grain that has an EBC colouring of 160.

The way I see it you'll need something in the EBC range close to 80-100
Correct me if I'm wrong but EBC is very close to Lovibond.

Franko

The way I see it you'll need something in the EBC range close to 80-100
Correct me if I'm wrong but EBC is very close to Lovibond.

Franko

Nope, SRM is close to Lovibond. Lovibond is a measure of the colour of malted grain, SRM is a measure of the colour of beer.

What you want is: L = EBC / 2

Or: EBC = L * 2

This is close enough for most of us homebrewers

Cheers for the heads up fellas.
I use Beersmith and will be sure to change the bitterness to Rager.

I just opened Beersmith to check colour, and according to the malt list, 60L Crystal is 118.2 EBC.

Looks like Warm beer is right on the money (well 98.5% correct).

Cheers,
Al

Nope, SRM is close to Lovibond. Lovibond is a measure of the colour of malted grain, SRM is a measure of the colour of beer.

What you want is: L = EBC / 2

Or: EBC = L * 2

This is close enough for most of us homebrewers

My appoligies that's the one, must remember SRM

Franko

Latest posts

Back