Brewing Ales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stebas

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm currently looking at brewing something like an American pale or amber ales. I'm probably going ot use something like the WLP001 Californian Ale yeast.

I'm looking for a kit receipe for a good American pale or amber ale, but can't seem to find one. I've found many AG receipes on these forums but nothing from a can, (haven't graduated to the AG just yet).

Can anyone help me out here, shed any past experiances you've had. Is the WLP001 the way to go. any suggestions please

WLP001 is a great yeast to use. Very clean and forgiving. It will improve a kit beer heaps more than using the standard dry yeast. I would suggest that you but a ESB fresh wort kit. They make an american pale ale. This might be what you are after;

American Pale Ale Fresh Wort Kit

Aroma: Usually moderate to strong hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. Citrusy hop aroma very common. Esters vary from low to high. Diacetyl moderate to none. Appearance: Pale golden to amber. Flavor: Often moderate to high hop flavor. Citrusy hop flavor very common (such as from Cascade hops), but also other American hop variety flavors are found. Malt flavor moderate relative to aggressive hop flavor and bitterness. Caramel flavor is usually restrained. Diacetyl moderate to none. Mouthfeel: Many are rather light, refreshing and more highly carbonated than many other styles, but body can reach medium. Overall Impressions: Should be refreshing.
Comes with DCL Safale yeast. Will work best with White Labs WLP001 California Ale Liquid Yeast.

good luck

Stebas
Have you considered a Grumpys Masterbrew. The Boston Cream is Very good. Or you could try the Double Hop Pale Ale.
Jim

Jim - Perth said:
Stebas
Have you considered a Grumpys Masterbrew. The Boston Cream is Very good. Or you could try the Double Hope Pale Ale.
Jim
[post="71145"][/post]​

Jim are they Kit brews? Do you have a hyperlink that has the receipe, cause it doesnt sound half bad :)

Tim said:
Try www.grumpys.com.au
[post="71149"][/post]​

Is there any way to purchas those Grumpy's kits in Sydney, or is online only?

Have done a couple of the grumpy's brews. The bostons is a nice drop. I used the medium bittered extract for it and wyeast 1272. Online shop is very user friendly.
I assume that you did read theat they do nead a short boil so are not quite as easy as a regular kit but are far superior.

.....No affiliation..bla

Borret

Grumys Boston is good - but IMHO Goliath's is better - he uses Amarillo where as grumys use Cascade.
www.goliathbrewing.com.au - hope i have it right.

Amber Recipe.
Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale
1.5kg light LME
150gms Dark Brown Sugar
Steep overnnight in 2ltrs of cold water:
150gms english Xtal 100EBC
50gms of Carared.

Boil liquid with 20gms of EKG Hop Pellets for 20mins with sugar.
Add to fermenter with can goo and LME.
Top up with cold water to 20ltrs.
Yeast 1st choice 1084 Irish Ale, 2nd is 1338 European Ale
Dry Yeast - Windsor ale or London Ale.

Happy Brewing.

GMK Posted Today, 01:26 PM
Grumys Boston is good - but IMHO Goliath's is better - he uses Amarillo where as grumys use Cascade.
www.goliathbrewing.com.au - hope i have it right.

www.brewgoliath.com.au
Get's me (nearly) everytime as well...

Goliath Home page:
Goliath

Goliath American Cream

Happy to second the recommendation.
Slightly off topic, but Dave's Alt is pretty damn good too.

No affiliation, etc.

Good day
If you live in Sydney it is fairly easy to go to ESB Peakhurst and choose the Wort kit or 3 kg kit and yeast that you want.

Stebas
I can highly recommend a Grumpys Boston Cream. Add 12gms of Amarillo hops with the rest of ingredients, boil for 10 mins as per instructions. And then dry hop in secondary with another 12gms of Amarillo...bloody sensational. You wont be disappointed.
Cheers
Steve

Back