Brewing A Double Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I like a range of beers but I do have my favourites ,which I cant get enough of due to popular public demand( the public is mainly me) plus Christmas coming up , I got a 60 litre fermenter and thought I would see if it could be done in my 36 litre & my old 19 litre mash tun and two kettles and things well went well.

Now I can fill my modest two kegs in one brew .

I started at 5.15am watched the Rugby league test then the union test , I was all finished by 12.00midday and 46 litres is now in the Fermenting fridge .

That will save some time which seems to be at a premium these days ,I should have done it before now .

pumpy

Pumpy said:
I like a range of beers but I do have my favourites ,which I cant get enough of due to popular public demand( the public is mainly me) plus Christmas coming up , I got a 60 litre fermenter and thought I would see if it could be done in my 36 litre & my old 19 litre mash tun and two kettles and things well went well.

Now I can fill my modest two kegs in one brew .

I started at 5.15am watched the Rugby league test then the union test , I was all finished by 12.00midday and 46 litres is now in the Fermenting fridge .

That will save some time which seems to be at a premium these days ,I should have done it before now .

pumpy
[post="91908"][/post]​

Pumpy,

Seems your beer intake has increased a bit since my visit - Didn't pass on my bad habits, did I?... :)

Ross,

I have a long ,long, way to catch you up, but Hell gotta start someday ;)

pumpy

I am planning on doing the odd double batch soon too. I am having a new ~50L stainless kettle being made up as we speak. The plan is to do a couple of 40L brews to have on hand as staple brews. I will probably just divide the wort up into two 30L fermenters though at this stage. I'll probably do a coopers PA style beer, an APA, and maybe an ESB. Would love a pilsner too but my lager brewing fridge only just fits one 30L fermenter in it. I will try a 28L pilsner soon though (will be pushing the headspace a bit!).

Good day
I nearly always do a double batch, mostly two different styles, sometimes the same style with one variation. Lots of fun and saves time per litre. Only adds 30-40 minutes to the brew day. Crack the grain and get the water ready the day before. Turn on the heaters for the water at 6 pm and usually finish around 1 pm.

G'day Pumpy,

How things?

Where you'd get the 60 litre fermenter from? The damage???

Cheers,
Jase

Edit: Spelling

Pumpy
Smart move mate, I just did exactly the same thing, and am happy as Larry with it (no offence if there is a Larry that posts on here with no 60L fermenter). Mine cost me $70 odd with the tap, thermometer, airlock, all the stuff that goes with em, the only problem is when ya have 46L in em they way a bloody ton (or probably around 50kg).So I have the ferm fridge door open, siphon out of the kettle into my ferm right infront of the fridge, do the bendy legged pick up, and shuffle it onto the shelf. I find it adds an hour to an hour and a half onto my day, but that saves me spending 2 x 5 hour brewdays for the same amount, and about 2/3 the gas of 2 separate brews. Of course, still doing single batches for beers I am not too sure how much I will like (new styles I havent tried before), but the old favourites get the double batch treatment. The best part about that is, for secondary, it goes into 2 different 30L ferms, and I can dry hop with 2 different hops, see which is better. Have to recommend doing it to anyone that has a big enough kettle.
Sorry if this looks like a little bit of a thread hijack! Just very excited I can do double batches now :super:
All the best
Trent

EDIT - Jase, most HBS's would carry the 60L fermenter, I think

I've been doing the double batches as well and splitting into 2 x 30ltr fermenters so that I can dry hop em differently. B)

That's what I'm going to do with my lager; will be interesting to taste the different when I get back from my holiday

TD ,
I started thinking about it cuz I was tieing up the fermenting fridge with a single batch of lager .

Barry,
That was the only thing that knackered me the crushinh of 9 kilo of grain at 12oclockat nite though my rollers which I now set to .7 mm but the maris otter just came apart with the husks in tact got great efficiency too (I dont usually rave about efficiency as flavour is my priority)

Jase ,
I got it from Cooperage on the Merrylands road past Smithfield in Sydney they are mainly wine stuff but he will get me stuff from ESB and he is on my way home ,best thing is if you are a regular he gives you a cold beer on the way home .
Cost $60 bucks for a 60 litre not tap or thermometer I knocked him down from $70 cuz I had bought a few other things he was happy but he said the price may come down in when he buys his next batch so I will keep an eye out .

Trent,
I know what you mean with the 'bendy leg pick up' ( not quite the same as a knee trembler' but a great deal of satisfaction when you lift it into the fermenting fridge :eek: )but I have one of those $18 sack barrows from Bunnings that saves busting a a disc or two on the way to the fermenting fridge ,good idea about the dry hopping in two secondary containers that will make it slightly different .

Pumpy

This is what you need Pumpy, saves the old back.

hoist.JPG

I take it that your fridge is bolted to the wall. :blink:

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
This is what you need Pumpy, saves the old back.
[post="92197"][/post]​

It hangs from the garage roof, not the best pic.

But it will be redundant soon, when I join the ranks of the "Real Brewers".

Hijack over.

Vlad ,

If I hung that from my Patio where I brew , the state its in I would more than likely bring the roof down .

I like that oversized skateboard though, Eddie Murphy had one of those in that film where he exchanged his life as a beggar with Dan Akroyd a Merchant banker .
Think it was called 'Exchanging places'.

In the start oif the film Eddie pushed himself around with his knuckles on one of those boards with the little wheels on that your fermenter is standing on .

Pumpy

Pumpy said:
I like that oversized skateboard though, Eddie Murphy had one of those in that film where he exchanged his life as a beggar with Dan Akroyd a Merchant banker .
Think it was called 'Exchanging places'.

In the start oif the film Eddie pushed himself around with his knuckles on one of those boards with the little wheels on that your fermenter is standing on .

Pumpy
[post="92265"][/post]​
Pumpy,
It was called Trading Places

roach

Thanks Roach for that correction, 'Trading places' thats was the film with Eddie Murphy it it reminded me of Vlads Fermenter trolley .

Pumpy

Latest posts

Back