Brewery Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain_booze

Reaction score
i have a couple of kegs that i got from a old neighbour who worked for carlton united brewery;
whats the deal with kegs, are they all the property of their respective breweries or are there ones avaliable that arn't.
mine are marked with 'carlton united' and i wish to sell them because i dont need them all, but i dont know whether this is illegal.
unlike some kegs, there is nothing on them that says "this keg is the property of...."

so whats the deal?
thanks.

they remain the property of the brewery, and you are asking for trouble if you try to 'publicly'sell them - so yes it is illegal. do it on the q & t and you will be right. if you are in adel i would certainly be interested. if not you will have no trouble offloading them to other AHB'ers

CUB have a guy who has the task of searching places like ebay, trading post etc for people that are selling their gear. It started from a CUB executive type wandering through a Trash & Treasure car boot sale where some idiot was trying to off load some CUB kegs. If Dairy Farmers did the same with the milk crate every plumber in Australia would lose his tool box! A few charges have been laid already & Lion Nathan are doing the same now!

Someone posted on a thread here that there are old kegs with the top hacked out for sale in Adelaide from a scrap metal yard?
If this is the case and you bought one would you legally own it?
If so I may check it out on my travels.

Hoops

I doubt it Hoops, it's the property of the brewery regardless of whether the top is cut out, whether you get a receipt for it etc. If you "unknowingly" purchased such a keg from somewhere and did get a receipt they might be less likely to go after you personally rather than the place you bought it from, but still I don't think you'd legally own it.

westend have a person before the courts at the moment.i suppose if there is no identifiable markings on it e.g brand or serial number then theres no saying who,s it is.
be wary of posting your pics with brand names on them and your mug in the picture as if the brewery guys are trolling these sites then who knows how far they will take it.

cheers
big d

You could always accidentally brush your angle grinder against the keg a few times.

Back