Brewerschoice: Australia's cheapest keg set?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mzungu

Reaction score
Where are you located?

It will be easier to give an idea of where to look.

I bought that set-up and added an extra keg for about $70. It works, but I totally expect that I got what I paid for.

When I got mine I swapped out the pluto gun for a picnic tap so can't comment on that.

The regulator works and doesn't creep (so far at least), but it isn't a pleasure to use, the nut to adjust it can be a pain to grab and turn at times - but it is hexagonal and to be shifted with a shifter,

Keep in mind that they don't swap the gas bottle and only fill it, I haven't emptied mine yet but I understyand it is a 1 week turn around. Not a huge issue for me and the small bottle is great for my fridge - I don't want to drill the fridge and have the gas and kegs in it. If I find thge gas turn around an issue I will just get a soda stream adapter and pinch the kids soda stream gas ^_^ .

I don't think you will find cheaper, certainly not with a better regulator, which is probably to only real variable in the set-up with kegs all same same and gas being gas etc.

I got my keg setup from 'My Beer Shop'. They have a bunch of packs available containing 2 kegs plus everything you need sans CO2 bottle.

mine was about 260 to 280 from memory with fast postage.

No compalints yet but I've only had it a few months.

That's fairly cheap. I've just installed my kegging gear and looked around quite a bit before deciding on this http://www.mybeershop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=96. I added a non-return valve and two gas line splitters to gas one keg while serving another. Cost an extra $40 to get delivered from Melbourne to country NSW. I then had to get the gas bottle so went with this http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/products/Co2-Gas-Bottle-2.6kg-%252d-Keg-King.html as there is one relatively close by and they do a swap and go arrangment. All up my setup cost me about $500 (not including fridge which I acquired a while ago for a carton of beer).

From what i've read, those regulators are crap and the guns are about the same
I'd grab a kit from mybeershop.com.au ($270 for 2 kegs and a micromatic reg) and pay the bit extra for a gas bottle on Ebay
I had cheap crappy taps and a cheap regulator when i started off, I had to replace both within a year of buying them
I'm now Running Andale DA taps and a Harris regulator and have no problems
The extra bit of money really is worth it

Is micromatic regulator any good or am I going to be replacing it sooner than I want?

acarey said:
Is micromatic regulator any good or am I going to be replacing it sooner than I want?
Micromatic seem to get good reviews, haven't heard anything bad about them

I use a micromatic - I have only had one issue (internal leak), but this was surely due to me dropping it once accidentally.
Otherwise I can't fault the unit.

Thanks for the input, Im going to go with it until I grab some more kegs and dedicated fridge to house some taps, then update the regulator and maybe the co2 bottle with a splitter. This setup should last me 6months if I treat it well. Another question, how many kegs will the 2.6kg tank last force carbing beer?

Latest posts

Back