Quantcast

Brewers Selections Apa Final Gravity

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Johndec

Reaction score
I bottled a brew of this today after 2 weeks in the fermenter at 18 degrees with US-05 yeast. I usually have 2 fermenters going but haven't put another one down as I was disappointed with the OG which was 1.038. Well bugger me sideways but I took a FG reading before bottling and it was 1.004 :D So with bottle priming I should end up with a very healthy 5% ABV. Looks like it will make a fine light Summer Ale much like Coopers Pale Ale ( as if it will last till then, talking about future brews !! )

I just wanted to mention this I was worried that I would end up with at best a mid strength beer. I'm used to seeing 1.044 to 1.048 OG's with the kits and bits and 4.5 litre ezybrews I've been brewing but they usually top out at 1.010 -1.012. I'm looking forward to trying it in a few weeks (takes that long at this time of year for the bottles to carb up).

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
to me 1004 seems way to low. without knowing what you put with the kit its hard to say for sure but I would be betting on an infection if
you normally get 1010-1012. Unless you changed something radically you shouldnt be finishing that low. I hope not.

Johndec

Reaction score
to me 1004 seems way to low. without knowing what you put with the kit its hard to say for sure but I would be betting on an infection if
you normally get 1010-1012. Unless you changed something radically you shouldnt be finishing that low. I hope not.
Think you missed my point. This not a K&K, it's a 15 litre FWK. I've never tried one before, not counting the 4.5 litre ezybrew quasi FWK's. I was comparing and contrasting it to K&Ks OG and FG.

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
Think you missed my point. This not a K&K, it's a 15 litre FWK. I've never tried one before, not counting the 4.5 litre ezybrew quasi FWK's. I was comparing and contrasting it to K&Ks OG and FG.
I think you assumed i thought there was a point.
FWK, K & K, AG...1004 is a very low gravity and one I have only ever had with a brew that ended up infected.

Johndec

Reaction score
Guess I'll find out in a few weeks. Didn't look infected, didn't taste infected. Yes, I agree it's a very low FG which made me wonder, hence I posted. Perhaps I framed the OP badly, I should have been questioning the FG rather than being pleased with an acceptable ABV.

Latest posts