Brewers Selections Apa Final Gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johndec

Reaction score
I bottled a brew of this today after 2 weeks in the fermenter at 18 degrees with US-05 yeast. I usually have 2 fermenters going but haven't put another one down as I was disappointed with the OG which was 1.038. Well bugger me sideways but I took a FG reading before bottling and it was 1.004 :D So with bottle priming I should end up with a very healthy 5% ABV. Looks like it will make a fine light Summer Ale much like Coopers Pale Ale ( as if it will last till then, talking about future brews !! )

I just wanted to mention this I was worried that I would end up with at best a mid strength beer. I'm used to seeing 1.044 to 1.048 OG's with the kits and bits and 4.5 litre ezybrews I've been brewing but they usually top out at 1.010 -1.012. I'm looking forward to trying it in a few weeks (takes that long at this time of year for the bottles to carb up).

to me 1004 seems way to low. without knowing what you put with the kit its hard to say for sure but I would be betting on an infection if
you normally get 1010-1012. Unless you changed something radically you shouldnt be finishing that low. I hope not.

to me 1004 seems way to low. without knowing what you put with the kit its hard to say for sure but I would be betting on an infection if
you normally get 1010-1012. Unless you changed something radically you shouldnt be finishing that low. I hope not.

Think you missed my point. This not a K&K, it's a 15 litre FWK. I've never tried one before, not counting the 4.5 litre ezybrew quasi FWK's. I was comparing and contrasting it to K&Ks OG and FG.

Think you missed my point. This not a K&K, it's a 15 litre FWK. I've never tried one before, not counting the 4.5 litre ezybrew quasi FWK's. I was comparing and contrasting it to K&Ks OG and FG.

I think you assumed i thought there was a point.
FWK, K & K, AG...1004 is a very low gravity and one I have only ever had with a brew that ended up infected.

Guess I'll find out in a few weeks. Didn't look infected, didn't taste infected. Yes, I agree it's a very low FG which made me wonder, hence I posted. Perhaps I framed the OP badly, I should have been questioning the FG rather than being pleased with an acceptable ABV.

Back