Brewers -- Mash Paddle 2006 Is A Porter !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiller

Reaction score
Ok -- well a blind man inside a Porter vat could easily identify what was on the table for this year's Mash Paddle.

The guidelines for this beer allow you scope for creativity so do some research as well as many trial brews. It is a "standard beer" in most Australian competitions and as such you could brew for the Mash Paddle and enter your beer in other competitions as well.

Yes it is a a traditional English style Robust Porter

Now for the hard stuff.

Although a rather broad style open to interpretation, it is to be distinguished from Stout as lacking a strong roasted barley character. It differs from a brown porter in that a black patent or roasted grain character is usually present, and it can be stronger in alcohol. Roast intensity and malt flavors can also vary significantly. May or may not have a strong hop character, and may or may not have significant fermentation by-products;.

Ingredients: May contain several malts, prominently dark roasted malts and grains, which often include black patent malt (chocolate malt and/or roasted barley may also be used in some versions). Hops are used for bittering, flavor and/or aroma. Water with moderate to high carbonate hardness is typical. Ale yeast can either be clean US versions or characterful English varieties.

Important stats:
OG 1.048 - 1.065 FG 1.012 - 1.016 IBUs 22 - 35+ SRM 25 - 50+ ABV 4.8 - 6%

Aroma: Roasty aroma often with a burnt, black malt character. This beer can also show some additional malt complexity such as any or all of the following -- grainy, bready, toffee-like, caramelly, chocolate, coffee, raisins and other dark fruit. Hop aroma low to high povided by UK and or some possible European varieties. Fruity esters are often present but must compliment all the nuances of the mailt bill and not overpower the flavours of the grain bill. This is not a Belgian yeast driven beer. Diacetyl very low to none.

Appearance: Medium brown to very dark brown, often with ruby- or garnet-like highlights. Can approach black in color. When the beer is not opaque it should be clear (particularly when held up to the light). Full, tan-colored head with moderately good head retention.

Flavor: Moderately strong malt flavor usually features a black malt character with chocolate and/or coffee flavors with a hint of roast barley dryness in the finish. Overall flavor may finish from dry to medium-sweet. Should not be overly acrid, burnt or harsh. Medium to high bitterness, which can be accentuated by the roasted malt. Hop flavor can vary from low to moderately high (UK and or some possible European varieties), and balances the roasted malt flavors. Diacetyl very low to none. Fruity esters moderate to none.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Moderately low to moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may have a slight alcohol warmth. Astringency (hop or grain) is a negative.

Main Impression: A complex, malty dark ale with a flavorful roasty character. A smooth drink that brings you back for more.

Rules:

This year there will only be a single round of judging so you need only to submit 1 long kneck or 2 stubbies.

This is part of the 2006 ANAWBS Beer competition and is only open to full mash brewers. The winner will be the national ANAWBS mash brewing champion for 2006 and receive his or her own Mash Paddle to keep and do with as they choose.

The standard ANAWBS entry fee will apply.

All the best everyone.

Steve

great choice steve.

A beer with a wide range of posabilities and great to drink.

Just bottled one yesterday so first trial done already :p

cheers mate.

good luck everyone. :beer:

So, interpretations of Doc's Vanilla Burbon Porter not allowed eh? Damn that's a fun drop.
Cheers

Andrew said:
So, interpretations of Doc's Vanilla Burbon Porter not allowed eh? Damn that's a fun drop.
Cheers
[post="85118"][/post]​

I love the Paddle -- always someone [well everyone] wants to bend break or buckle the rules.

Steve

Chiller,

Are there any restrictions on grain, hops, yeasts etc for this one??

Ross said:
Chiller,

[post="85122"][/post]​

I dare you to use cascade :lol:

Good luck judging this one Steve !

Your going to be sampling a few I bet :party:

Batz

Ross said:
Chiller,

[post="85122"][/post]​

Hi Tony ,,

Please read carefully - again -- or for the first time -- :) the provided guidlines.

Again Cascade -- Amarillo -- and anyother American hops that were not available when a traditional porter was made are not to be used.

It is a traditional English style Porter.

Grain is up to you -- the world is your oyster.

Yeast is an interesting one as we don't really know what a good Porter yeast really was but just as a guess London 3 -- 1028 -- 1084 -- 005 -- 002 -- 1056 -- 001-- 008.

Have fun and I look forward to all the entries.

Steve

Does anyone have any suggestions of commerical porters that are available here and taste good. Being a lager/pilsner drinker I need to get a good understanding of the taste so will need to do some research.

:D

chiller said:
Yeast is an interesting one as we don't really know what a good Porter yeast really was but just as a guess London 3 -- 1028 -- 1084 -- 005 -- 002 -- 1056 -- 001-- 008.
Presumably, one or other of Wyeast 1098 and 1099 is "Whitbread A" yeast, which originated from Whitbread's Chiswell St. Brewery - one of the biggest and most famous of porter breweries in the heyday of London Porter (and more recently used to brew the Whitbread celebration Porter at Castle Eden Brewery). The other is presumably "Whitbread B", which originates at Mackeson's - also a brewery with a strong emphasis on dark beers. Likewise SafAle S-04 is most likely one of those two (I would guess Whitbread B, as that has always been far and away the most widely used). This is getting highly speculative, but I would guess that 1098 ("British Ale") is Whitbread B (which has for a long time been widely used in breweries around England, both those belonging to Whitbread and others) and that 1099 ("Whitbread Ale") is Whitbread A (only used in recent times at Whitbread's Castle Eden brewery).

I've got an attempt at reproducing the Castle Eden version of Whitbread Porter (itself suposedly based on the real Whitbread porter of 1850) maturing in cube at the moment which will hopefully make an ideal entry.

sluggerdog said:
Does anyone have any suggestions of commerical porters that are available here and taste good. Being a lager/pilsner drinker I need to get a good understanding of the taste so will need to do some research.

[post="85129"][/post]​

JS make a Porter slugger , failing that you could try Batz smoked Porter in your Xmas case , brewed today :p

Batz

sluggerdog said:

[post="85129"][/post]​
The one that is most widely available is probably the James Squire Porter.

I dunno about the other brewers here, but i find that my porters are best at only a couple of weeks old, and go down hill fairly quickly compared to most beers. It will be a challenge to ensure that i brew a top drop only weeks before the comp, and no time to try again in the case of failure.

Hargreaves Hill has just released his Porter. I had one the other day and enjoyed it very much. I would prefer to have a couple more and preferably not after coming home from the horse races having consumed too many crownies!!!

I found it in a pub on Courtney rd or st in North Melbourne (around the corner from the old Red Back Brewery - havent seen it in the bottle shop yet but I am sure it is out. I am sure it would be a good guideline Porter and I reckon better the the JS Porter.

jgriffin said:
I dunno about the other brewers here, but i find that my porters are best at only a couple of weeks old, and go down hill fairly quickly compared to most beers. It will be a challenge to ensure that i brew a top drop only weeks before the comp, and no time to try again in the case of failure.
[post="85135"][/post]​
Kind of implies you aren't hitting the historical style anyway - one of the main marketing points of the original porters were that they were aged for a long time. Something the pubs couldn't do (for lack of space) and which therefore helped drive the rise of "common brewers" like Whitbread, Meux, etc replacing pubs brewing for themselves.

Steve,
Did I read it correctly that only all-grain brewers can enter? This is a scandal <_<

You're not a real brewer until you brew all-grain, with a march pump, with reverse-osmosised water, in your Dixell temp controlled, nasa-burner fired converted keg boiler, while sipping your mash paddle porter drunk from AHB glasses filled from a nice Ventmatic tap system connected to your imported kegs.

Or something like that :p

Steve............. I didnt say a bloody thing about hops or grain.

that was someone else with the cascade comment.

I just said it was a fine choice of beer for the paddle.

well while im putting my foot in it.......... will the rules be changing at xmas time again.

:p just shitting ya :D

I think its great that this comp has been blended into the ANAWBS. It can only make it stronger and attract more great brewers.

More stiff competition makes me try to make better beer. And the winner is ME :party:

Tony with a smile :)

Latest posts

Back