Brewers Launch New Female Friendly Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fawnroux

Reaction score
Brewers launch female friendly beer

From the article
Molson Coors, the Carling brewer, will reveal a new beer for women today called Animee........Animee, from the French word for motivated, is billed as bloat-resistant..... It will be available in 275ml bottles in three varieties standard, rose and citrus.
Sounds horrendous... Now, I'm not one for judging what people drink, drink what you will. However, a 'rose' style beer concerns me :ph34r:
Meanwhile, Carlsberg.... is to introduce its female friendly Copenhagen brand.......Copenhagen is intended for modern women and men, who appreciate a refreshing taste delivered in a stylish design.
And this one just sounds wanky ;)

At least we know what the next big marketing push will be over here, after the 'lo carb' craze settles down.

At least we know what the next big marketing push will be over here, after the 'lo carb' craze settles down.

And we'll still be making fantastic beer, either way.

We have our crazes - pumpkin beer is one of them. I'm noting another IPA push again.

We just have a more sophisticated market (ourselves and home brew mates).

Goomba

Jeanette Elgaard Carlsson, international innovation director at Carlsberg, said: Many young people arent keen on the bitter aftertaste of beer. Here our surveys show that with Copenhagen we have created a highly drinkable beer with a balanced taste a real alternative to white wine and champagne.
Less hops, more non-malt adjuncts = cheaper beer sold at a higher price = profit!

I'm waiting for the "Chicken" in a brew craze to hit! :lol:

Seriously though I really don't see women cottoning onto swapping their Chardonay or Pinot for a citus beer. Not to stereotype the fairer gender but I would have thought the old beer gut would be too much to bear for most. :eek:

Chap Chap

I don't know, my sister and her young hot (not butch at all) friends enjoy drinking normal craft beer, seems like a waste of marketing to me.

re: the beer available in rose and blah:

"The company spent two-and-a-half years developing the beer at a cost of 1m."!!! That's one big slush fund! 1m to 'develop a beer'!!! Barmy!!!! How much of this rose-flavoured muck until they start turning a profit! What a world!!!! How big a Braumeister can one acquire for 1m!!! 2 and a half years!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Ere love, try this one, its carlsberg but we tipped some rose water in it, would you drink it on the lash when your oot on the toon with yer lasses?"

I don't know, my sister and her young hot (not butch at all) friends enjoy drinking normal craft beer, seems like a waste of marketing to me.

I think you are about to see a major marketing exercise soon on the subject. Had a taste of a new rose beer on Saturday being marketed soon and aimed at the alcopop market. Certainly not my idea of fun, but I'm not the target audience. At 4.5% its less than the current batch of alcopop drinks so may seem a better alternative. I hope for the bloke who gave me the sample the exercise is successful. Personally I thought the beer was shit, but as said I am not the target market.

Won't be long before someone comes on AHB looking for a clone recipe though!

Had a taste of a new rose beer on Saturday being marketed soon

Where abouts was that? Do you know if it was a smaller player looking for a niche? Or just a tester for a bigger company? I'm curious.

On the subject of beer gut.. I was under the impression that the higher alc % in wine gave it more calories and was more fattening?
Is this the case or is there something else in beer that is supposed to make you gain more weight (maybe carbs?)?

Would think the beer makers would be pushing the lower calories for womens beers? (I guess the low carb beers are already sortof doing this)

I have seen the future here and it was a Hibiscus Flower Saison......tasted and looked fantastic and was 8%. Almost like champagne and pink/red colour. Beautiful.......

I have seen the future here and it was a Hibiscus Flower Saison......tasted and looked fantastic and was 8%. Almost like champagne and pink/red colour. Beautiful.......

I second that. My wife and friends went nuts over the hibiscus Belgian wheat I just put on tap. Its actually a pretty tastyy and good looking beer. Those that only normally like sweet lolly wines and rtd 's enjoyed. The first beer they enjoyed.

Aahh, good to see it finished at 8 %. I was lucky to try it halfway through ferment and it was impressive at that stage. Very tasty, and if wimmen don't like it they won't like anything :icon_cheers: .

LOL, How insulting.

Not that I'd mind trying one of those hibiscus wheat beers. :icon_drool2:

LOL, How insulting.

Not that I'd mind trying one of those hibiscus wheat beers. :icon_drool2:
:icon_cheers:

Seriously, there is a potential huge market out there for somebody who gets this right. Baccus's hibiscus saison is a good one.
Just dumping some artificial fruit flavouring into Carlton Cold (for example) won't work. Mango hefes on the other hand......

Edit: should have mentioned Watermelon Wheat as an successful example from the States. I might have to get a pint of Guava Wit right now.

here are the details of the beer FGZ mentioned http://www.shadyladybeer.com.au/ definitely a niche play from a new entrant not something from 1 of the majors.

Good Lord:

Shady Lady edifies you, the women beer drinkers, and reflects a womans femininity

:icon_vomit:

I was at the Bavarian Bier Cafe last night (in Parramatta) and I think there would have been an even split of guys & girls - EVERYONE in the venue was drinking beer, which I thought was good to see.

Latest posts

Back