Brewers Caramel Flavour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randai

Reaction score
So I've been reading through Bronzed Brews (book by AHB Member Korev) and the shut up about barlcay perkins blog and a stack load of recipes come with Brewers Caramel to up the colour.

Now I've seen mention to
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com.au/2009/07/barclay-perkins-1936-kkkk-water.html

That they get the temperature up high.

Also in the recipe it says "if smells burnt" throw it away.
http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-brewing-info/making-brewers-caramel

I tried making it, it go fairly dark brown but no burned/bitter flavour and it appears it was far too light in colour to noticably colour my beer I made with it. Just wondering if I should do another crack and put that in the fermenter to give it a bit more flavour to it.

But I am not entirely sure what I am aiming for here. Does brewers caramel add in any bitter/burnt flavour to the beers that it gets used in? or is it purely colouring? I mean burnt/near burned caramel definitely has some sort of bitter flavour going on.
Should I aim for more a burnt runny sugar opposed to a dark brown sugary taste? Anyone else got any input?

I came across this while making a cola product.
I scabbed a few hundred ml to try in my beer.
It may be what your looking for.
You can turn an ipa into a black ipa or any colour In between and only adds a little bit of bitter roast. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1458552699.526739.jpg

I have not tried making my own.

My understanding of the product used commercially is that it is entirely used for colour adjustment. Not sure about barclay perkins version - he does have recipes for various invert syrups - presumably this is different.

Cheers tugger, I had seen that before. But I didn't know that it added a bit of bitter roast flavour.

Manticle, yeah I think this is different more like a caramel that has gone too far.

I actually tried another batch tonight and went further this time and it did go extremely black and slightly burnt smelling. But not entirely unpleasant, with a bitter flavour to the black sugar. It did seem to colour water a lot better than previously.

Though in the water I couldn't pick up any of the "burnt" flavour. So maybe its all just for colour, but I guess there has to be some "flavour" there, though whether its a distinguishable amount or not, not sure.

Latest posts

Back