Breweries, Brew Pubs In New York Area?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have caught up with Ross, Pocket Beers and me. We sampled something like 72 different beers in the 36 hours they were in NYC. :beerbang:

They will be back on Sunday if you are still around. I have a few more bars to show them yet.
Hey Zizzle.

We have kept up our beer drinking pace and kept minimising the hours of sleep required to function. Last count was 1.5 hrs sleep before brewday.

Even though we have been brewing for 4 days straight here....we're still ahead of our 1 beer / hours in US tally.

Getting your drinkin' sox out for our return...we're seasoned now.

PB :icon_chickcheers:

Hey Zizzle.

We have kept up our beer drinking pace and kept minimising the hours of sleep required to function. Last count was 1.5 hrs sleep before brewday.

Even though we have been brewing for 4 days straight here....we're still ahead of our 1 beer / hours in US tally.

PB :icon_chickcheers:

Seasoned? more like pickled :p . Keep up the good work lads, I probably would have fallen in a mash tun by now.

I was checking out the wall street, financial district today and popped into one of the heartland pubs for a couple of cold ones. I had a pint of Empire premium lager which is based on a czech lager that was OK but nothing special. Second brew was the multiple "award winning" Oatmeal stout which I actually didn't think much and quite couldn't put my finger on a particularly annoying sickly sweet flavour that was dominating the beer and consequently spoiling the drinking experience....First thing that came to mind was lactose but not in a good way.

oatmeal_stout.JPG

Yeah the heartland "brewpubs" are not much chop... I think they outsource all their beers to the megabreweries now, but the Union Square one still has lots of shiny gear in it - all for show. Did you see anyone get the 3 litre beer glass that you can get there?

You blokes are just scary. But I'm sure I'd proud of the Aussie reputation you must be building up there (being generous and calling Ross an Aussie ;) :p )

Actually, we should get Devo as well next week and team Australia can assault some yankee bars. We've still got some big beers in my fridge still too.

Did you end up getting a SIM card yet?

No sim card yet - not had any time away from the beer yet.

Today was f.....g awesome, we found a bar with 20+ beers on tap & it's all FREE...just help yourself.
will update our travel log shortly.

Cheers Ross

No sim card yet - not had any time away from the beer yet.

Today was f.....g awesome, we found a bar with 20+ beers on tap & it's all FREE...just help yourself.
will update our travel log shortly.

Cheers Ross

WTF??!! :eek:

Why am I not living there? :(

What's the catch? We all know there is always a catch... ;)

This is just a pic of one section of beer on offer at the whole foods markets on the lower east side of NY.

View attachment 30133

View attachment 30134

View attachment 30135

devo out B)
Kid you not devo... it's worth picking up a nice 100L esky for SFA, a roll of bubble wrap and spending half an hour filling out a spreadsheet that keeps customs happy. Prob cost you the excess baggage on way home (unless work is paying?), but you will get an esky full of beers that will give you fond memories for some months. Or at least one good session. IF you want it, I'll email you the spreadsheet I set up to track the customs duty based on their standards.

I have to say I echo your sentiments Rook :)

Very Jealous.

:)

enjoy you lucky *******.

Devo BTW what was the hop flavour like in the Torpedo? that uses the new Citra hops right?

Quintrex
Certainly a nice change from the massive Cascade hit SN normally chuck in. I gave 3 a quiet nudge this afternoon/early evening, but at 7.2%, they let you know they're there. Well balanced beer by SN, same body as a Pliny or Dorado IMO. Not quite the balance, but still well disguised for the ABV.

My mate and splendid host organised a hire car so we could take a day trip just north out of NY to a place called Peekskill that has a small dinky little brewpub hosting about 10 taps featuring the usual regional brews as well as 2 house brews.

peekskill01.JPG
peekskill02.JPG
peekskill03.JPG

I'd have to say I really enjoyed the in-house Hop common and put down a couple quite easily as well as the peach ale that was brewed with a belgian yeast but rather than being a strong ale was quite the opposite at 3.5%. Looked and tasted like a weisse beer but without the tartness. The Hop common really got better with each mouthful and had a wonderful herbal hop flavour that lingered nicely and differed from usual yank hop driven beers. The Brewery itself is a small 300 to 400lt DME rig that is squeezed into what is an extremely tiny brew space that pumps out about 8 to 10 kegs per batch.

peekskill04.JPG
peekskill05.JPG

Devo out B)

Attachments

• pekkskill03.JPG
    pekkskill03.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 29
Finally landed back home early this morning after a looong hell flight of bad food, no sleep and screaming kids/infants. God I wish they would let them play out side during the flight!
The up side is that I was at least able to squeeze a six pack of these buggers into my bags.

IMG_1003.jpg

If I recall a 12 pack at the local super market set me back about $12US.

Welcome home, devo.

I've sure enjoyed your thread ;) .

Cheers,
reVox

Yep welcome home Mr D... From the big apple to the little burger haha. :lol:

Warren -

Congratulations, you arrived home just in time to sample the new Coopers 62 Pilsener :p

Definitely not a hop driven Yank. Not driven by anything actually <_<

Cheers fellas. I also just managed to drop off my ANAWB entries before the interstate deadline.

did you have a pastrami and rye sandwich Devo?

No I didn't get around to having one of those because I was busy eating mexican food most of the time. I did have a a late night attempt at eating a rubens after a big night on the sauce.

No I didn't get around to having one of those because I was busy eating mexican food most of the time. I did have a a late night attempt at eating a rubens after a big night on the sauce.

corned beef and saurkeraut!

mustard or thousand island.... ?

You cant get good mexican over here! :angry:

just got home from the Astoria beer garden in Queens NYC and sampled many beers the two standouts were Hennepin farmhouse saison and the ever reliable Hoergarden which i have only had in bottle before but let me tell you it is something else on tap, anyone going to new York i sugest you stop in here, especially good after a mets win :)

Back