Breweries, Brew Pubs In New York Area?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most local, corner minimarts have a pretty impressive selection of beer over here. I couldn't resist hooking into a couple of these monsters last night. Sierra Nevada, torpedo extra IPA is a big beer with a big hit of hop bitterness and flavour down to the very last drop and at 7.2% can knock you around a little.

IPA.JPG

...oh and will hopefully be going to a baseball game sometime next week.

Devo, if you're still planning to hit SF, it's less than an hour to go a little bit further north to Santa Rosa... Russian River... seriously great beer. Seriously.

You're in NY & you're drinking Sierra Nevada? Great beer for sure, but maybe try some of the local east-coast brews?

You're in NY & you're drinking Sierra Nevada? Great beer for sure, but maybe try some of the local east-coast brews?

Sixpoint so far but I'd have to say I'm still getting over the jet lag and daunted by the vast selection on offer. I am planning on hitting some more local brews this week.

Will also be in NY this oct for my wedding having a do at the Astoria beer garden the night before the big night, the missus cousin lives a few doors up. So should be a good night :)

Also in manhatan try the brewhouse about a block from the empire state building if I am remembering right they brew all their own beer and have damn good eats

My Friend and I hit the Brooklyn Brewery on Saturday which turned out to be an excellent day indeed that eventually degraded into a marathon pub crawl....good times. BB had about 8 brews on tap which you could purchase via tokens which you could buy at the entrance. I managed to sample about 5 of the 8 with the EIPA and The Blast(Imperial IP) being a massive hop and alcohol driven brew.

BB01.JPG

BB02.JPG

Also included was a very relaxed brewery tour that explained in layman's terms the history and how beer was made.

BB03.JPG

BB04.JPG

Afterwards we all would trudge back to an extremely packed beer hall and hook into some brews. Amusingly there was the usual group of loud and boisterous frat boys chanting USA, USA at the top of their lungs and taking turns at dancing on the table. Some funny shit.

BB08.JPG

BB07.JPG

My mate and I are hoping to make it to either Sixpoint or KELSO but as most of these places tend to only open doors on a Saturday it can make it difficult trying to get to them all. I will report back none the less.

Cheer
devo

Haha like a pig in shit there mate... Did you try the choc stout?

Warren -

looks like a good time, will have to sweet talk the missus in to letting me and the boys go check it out in oct.

Jeez you blokes slacked off at the Brooklyn Brewery. People kept leaving and giving us their remaining tokens last time I was out there. Don't remember much after that.

You should have caught up with Ross, Pocket Beers and me. We sampled something like 72 different beers in the 36 hours they were in NYC. :beerbang:

They will be back on Sunday if you are still around. I have a few more bars to show them yet.

brewery.jpg

We weren't so lucky as to be having free tokens thrown our way but I'd hate to think of the consequences if they had. I was still a tad green the next day. :icon_vomit:

I should be still in town on Sunday so fer sure.

BTW zizzle have you taken the lads to the whole foods market on the lower east side. The beer selection is vast and staggering to say they least, unlike anything I've ever come across. Plus the offer a growler service.

One thing is clear NY has an excellent number and great diversity on offer for the beer drinker. I've just sat down after a hot day out exploring my arse off to a chilled bottle of Famille Rue "The Bruery" Saison De Lente from Orange County CA which I picked up from wholefoods.

......Magnificent drop. :icon_drool2:

also some link to some brewpubs i visited

House of Brews

Astoria Beer Garden

and if your homesick i found this little place

The Australian NYC

the owner is a top bloke originally from manly, we spoke footy and beer for a good couple hours last time i was there, they also show all of our sports games live, like nrl, union, afl, cricket etc.

also some link to some brewpubs i visited

House of Brews

Astoria Beer Garden

and if your homesick i found this little place

The Australian NYC

the owner is a top bloke originally from manly, we spoke footy and beer for a good couple hours last time i was there, they also show all of our sports games live, like nrl, union, afl, cricket etc.

The Astoria is excellent, i spent a whole arvo drinking at that place.

yes looking forward to going back in october.. have a day with the boys for my bucks, going to a mets game then finishing up at the astoria beer garden.

This is just a pic of one section of beer on offer at the whole foods markets on the lower east side of NY.

wholefoods.JPG

wholefoods01.JPG

wholefoods02.JPG

devo out B)

I have to say I echo your sentiments Rook :)

Very Jealous.

:)

enjoy you lucky *******.

Devo BTW what was the hop flavour like in the Torpedo? that uses the new Citra hops right?

Quintrex

I have to say I echo your sentiments Rook :)

Very Jealous.

:)

enjoy you lucky *******.

Devo BTW what was the hop flavour like in the Torpedo? that uses the new Citra hops right?

Quintrex

Cheers rook...my problem is that even though there is a great selection to choose from, where do you begin??? It takes me back to being a kid watching willy wonka and the chocolate factory.

Quintrex.....I'd have to say that the seppos ain't shy when it comes to throwing obscene amounts of hops at a brew but I'd have to admit some relief to sitting down to a nice clean euro inspired beer.

.....most bars here that ain't even remotely beer motivated have 5 taps on the go that are at least different or interesting....it's an eye opener to say the least.

devo

Back