Brewer’s Vernacular...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drover's dog

Reaction score
I used a well known supplier of brewing gear and ingredients to buy an IPA recipe of theirs. With the sack of grains where a number of cryovaced pouches containing hops, Whirlfloc and yeast. The pouches where marked add @ 10 mins: add @ 60 mins: add at 30 mins. Had it not been for the Whirlfloc that was to be added at 10 mins. I would have stuffed the whole brew up. Before I make it known that this just doesn’t make any sense at all to buyers of recipes from these folk, I thought I had better check that in the “Brewing Game” this was just may be the accepted and expected way someone would write on a pouch that add @ 10 mins. Actually means add 10 mins before the end of the boil. Therefore hops to be added @ 60 mins means add at the start of a 60 minute boil. I was totally confused. So what’s it to be, did they screw up or do I need to understand more on brewing vernacular.

Boil addition times are all usually referenced as minutes to end of boil. So in essence their instructions appear to be correct, just possibly vague, and assuming if such knowledge, in my opinion.

I thought as much, hence my note… As Iv’e said before; being a beginner in your 70’s sucks.

Boil and hop times can be very different. you might do a 120 minute boil and in some cases not add any hops until the last 10 minutes or so (hop bursting). So 60minutes, 10minutes... is always from the end as the length of time the hops are boiled has an impact on the final bitterness, where as the boil time without hops doesn't.
I know we tend to use a lot of Jargon like L:G Liquor (all water that touches malt or extract is liquor) to Grist, why not Water to grain (meh) just tradition.
Don't get too fazed, if in doubt ask, ideally before doing something irrevocable.
Mark

Boil and hop times can be very different. you might do a 120 minute boil and in some cases not add any hops until the last 10 minutes or so (hop bursting). So 60minutes, 10minutes... is always from the end as the length of time the hops are boiled has an impact on the final bitterness, where as the boil time without hops doesn't.
I know we tend to use a lot of Jargon like L:G Liquor (all water that touches malt or extract is liquor) to Grist, why not Water to grain (meh) just tradition.
Don't get too fazed, if in doubt ask, ideally before doing something irrevocable.
Mark

Yes, liquor is a particularly unnecessary term.

As brewers, yes us home brewers, and like any hobby we should maintain the correct terminologies.

If we do, our conversations, recipes, issues can be understood by all current and future people that read our threads and notes. To not do so, will create more confusion.

Like all hobbies, when you start there is a learning curve. Do some reading, and I guess that's why we come here - to learn.

There are also many homebrew clubs around, many are active on this forum, join one.

Not sure if I was the supplier, but if I were I'd welcome a call to explain what everything means. And I have done that with dozens of brewers. I am sure any good retailer would do that.

Cheers Steve

Liquor is a nice easy way to say Product Water (water that goes into the beer), as apposed to Process Water, might not be as important to home brewers but it really matters to professionals. Brewing Liquor needs to be at the right pH, have no Chlorine, the right salts... Process Water used for washing, wort cooling... doesn't need to have time and money spent on it.

Every trade has its terms and jargon, they survive because they are useful, if they aren't they fade away.
Mark

Back