Brewday experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiller

Reaction score
We tend to do a lot of things in home brewing for sound reasons but many are based on accepted wisdom that is often just accepted and then regurgitated over time as lore without challenging why. I rarely step outside the circle of home brew lore but decided to rebel and look behind the curtain.
I have posted a couple of times on Windsor yeast, boil times and cube hopping so decided to do an experimental batch combining all three.
Specifications for my experiment.
Half keg batch about 95% Pilsner malt
Step mash with a low main mash temperature
Full volume mash - recirculated with march pump and direct heat occassionally to maintain temperatures - no sparge, just pump to the kettle.
30 minute boil. Boil off of about 2.8 litres in 30 minutes. No lid.
FWH and then following the boil whirlpool then stand for minimum 10 minutes [covered pot] cube hop only.
Windsor yeast.
Brewday took just under 3 hours including clean up.
Yeast pitched the next day [Sunday 23/11/14] Not rehydrated.
The wort was very clear into the cube and I used a square of voile to hold back any floating hops as it went to the fermenter. The wort was fresh tasting without any noticeable off flavours. tasted no different to any previous beers made with a longer boil chilled or no chilled.
The surprise has been Windsor, it is finished or very close to at about 72% attenuation has gone from 1.046 to 1.013 in 2 1/2 days. My fermentation temperature was 17c and I have just raised that to 19 for the next day and will then slowly drop the temperature to kegging temperature and add gelatine if the yeast doesn't clear.
The taste is excellent, hops are balanced and the brew seems very clean in flavour. I particularly chose a Pilsner malt so that there would be not a lot for mistakes to hide behind.
It may be terrible when it conditions but at this stage it is very good. I don't advocate this for everyone but I will certainly try this again - after this one has kegged for about 3 weeks :)

View attachment border brew-12litre.pdf

So the experiment was a short boil with pilsner malt? Or am I missing something?

I don't get it either. (not unusual..)

So you did a two stage protein / starch step mash?

How was the circle stepped outside? How was lore rebelled against? What was behind the curtain?

So you're saying no noticeable DMS from a 30 min boil with pilsner malt and then no chilling?

The internet experts would tell you to expect a glass full of cabbage

Yeah, I have always been curious about no-chilling/cubing and DMS. I assume that a llong boil is the cure, and is subsequently less likely to come back with the slow chilling because there is very little leftaafter the boil.

Interested to see how you go with DMS and a 30min boil...

Draughton said:
So you're saying no noticeable DMS from a 30 min boil with pilsner malt and then no chilling?

The internet experts would tell you to expect a glass full of cabbage
Yes Draughton no noticeable DMS - in fact no noticeable indicators it was a 30 minute boil in any way that I could pick and I have brewed many All Grain beers. .Despite the first 3 replies which possibly have missed my point, my idea was to post my observations from a home brew position contrary to commercial brewing practise, books and oft repeated ideas that have just been accepted and that may or may not really apply to our scale of production.
Me, I would never have considered putting my wort in a plastic cube. I remember the discussion in 2006 I think with Ray Mills and MAH and many others, a discussion that went for many pages. At the time I thought it was just asking for flavour problems. I didn't try it till 3 years ago and now wish I had used the method much sooner. To me that was a recipe for disaster but thousands of homebrewers have proven otherwise. I no longer judge or enter competitions but I still like the best beer I can make. Anyway others may post similar procedures and highlight if it works for them.

Assuming you - or a judge - can taste DMS and that it's definitely not there, maybe boil vigour (vigourousness, vigourosity?) is more important than boil length?

If I read correctly you boiled 2.8L from 14.8L, so 19%? Maybe that's the secret, just boil off 18-25% and that's all you need, even if you do it in 15min?

I'm pretty sure there's a thread hiding here about a 10 minute IPA that the brewer took a bit to literally.
Cant remember how it turned out. If at all.

Tahoose said:
There was and it turned out fine.

Some guys are making milds with a 30 min mash and a 30 min boil.

For my APA's I'm doing a full 4 step infusion mash with a 10 min boil and 100%cube hop additions. I literally add the brew bright as it comes to the boil.

5-6 batches in and no problems.

here you go

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/76190-10-minute-ipas-are-good-for-school-night-brewing/?hl=%2Bmin+%2Bipa+%2Bschool+%2Bnight

I believe BribieG took this to another level with his 30min boils with his brews.

Adr_0 said:
Assuming you - or a judge - can taste DMS and that it's definitely not there, maybe boil vigour (vigourousness, vigourosity?) is more important than boil length?

If I read correctly you boiled 2.8L from 14.8L, so 19%? Maybe that's the secret, just boil off 18-25% and that's all you need, even if you do it in 15min?
Your point is probably correct. My boils is normally about that mark. I also don't boil partially covered.

Latest posts

Back