Brewday and what is everyone brewing currently?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnClunks

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a older style of beer, I'm making a nursing stout given to nursing mothers in days of yonda. A lot of oats and chocolate malts and going to bitter with magnum because I'm cheap and magnum has high aa%.
What are you guys currently brewing going to brew?

I've got a NEIPA in the fermenter currently. I've made a couple previously, but I'm dry hopping a lot more than I have previously. I've also used lactose for a bit of sweetness and smooth mouthfeel. No idea if it'll work. Time will tell.

I've got a NEIPA in the fermenter currently. I've made a couple previously, but I'm dry hopping a lot more than I have previously. I've also used lactose for a bit of sweetness and smooth mouthfeel. No idea if it'll work. Time will tell.
Be interesting to know your results with lactose I want to use in my next Irish Red.
To add body and creamyness, what step are you adding it?

Nothing. My brewery is dismantled, house sold, awaiting a move to Brisbane.
Once we're resettled I'll be doing a couple of batches of APA or AAA, followed by a Belgian Dubbel.

Have a Simcoe inspired Two Hearted Clone fermenting with BRY-97. Then I'm stuck, the Keezer is full and two kegs to condition and the weather is great for brewing!

Balter xpa on tap.

Munich Helles 1 week in on ferment.

Irish red ale ready to ferment.

Brewed an American IPA over the weekend and put an Irish Dry Stout into the keg for later this week. In 2 weeks, going to brew an oatmeal stout. Wish I'd thought of brewing dark beers earlier, before the cold settled in in Sydney. But, plenty of winter left to enjoy a few. :)

Strong American Brown Ale. Going to bottle half when ready and condition the other half of the brew on some bourbon soaked oak staves. Will be the first time for trying that. Also wish I did this brew earlier now that we are in real Winter

Cherry Saison.
My first fruit beer and have no idea what I'm doing. Hope 1kg of cherries for a 20lt batch is appropriate.

Have an oat milk stout in the fermenter that's ready for bottling this weekend and have a blonde ale fermenting along side it. Experimenting with new hops in the blonde, and have a bit of late Idaho 7 additions in it that I added for tropical fruit characteristics. But I wish I had read up a little more. Black tea is one of the other characteristics of it apparently and the flame out addition resulted in very noticeable tea aroma from the pot. Was crazy noticeable. I hope that doesn't carry through as strongly in the flavour. Anyway - will see how it turns out, part of the fun.

I'm making hay while the sun doesn't shine, getting some lagers going.

I'm kegging out a hoppy Pale Ale, full of BRU-1 but it didn't get the same 'hubba-bubba GroovyGrape' flavour as last batch.
Also crashing a Hoegaarden clone, used the Omega OYl-021 'Hefeweizen I' yeast to keg on Thursday.
Yesterday I brewed my first Baltic Porter, looks and smells good, running S-23 at 12ºc OG= 1.072
Today I'm brewing German Pilsner on W34/70, I love this beer can't wait for Christmas.
Tomorrow I will be brewing a Vienna Lager (also my first one) again I'll use the W34/70.

Cheers big beers!

Cherry Saison.
My first fruit beer and have no idea what I'm doing. Hope 1kg of cherries for a 20lt batch is appropriate.

That amount is on the light side. One US brewery that built its reputation to a large degree on a tart cherry ale uses one pound to twelve ounces of beer, or almost 27 kg in 20L.

https://newglarusbrewing.com/beers/ourbeers/beer/wisconsin-belgian-red
I've used 4kg in 20L. The cherry flavour was noticeable, but not strong. You will likely get a hint of cherry, which will be fine so long as the beer would be good without it.

Not sure what I was thinking, as I haven’t chilled a batch in many years, but I decided with my latest crack at an Epic Pale Ale clone I would dust off the hop rocket and plate chiller and use some old cascade flowers I found lurking in the freezer.

This is a double batch on the BM50 and I’ll run off the first 21 litres at flameout through the hop rocket, then do a big hop stand addition and cube the other half of the batch. Will see how they compare…

Currently have a lager, stout and dark ale on tap, bottled a lager to build up my travellers.
Going to do an IPA this arvo or tomorrow and maybe a rice lager.

Currently have a lager, stout and dark ale on tap, bottled a lager to build up my travellers.
Going to do an IPA this arvo or tomorrow and maybe a rice lager.
Nice. For the rice lager do you have to do a cereal mash first? Like at higher temps and then use that wort as the base for the malt mash? I would like to have a go at a rice lager, any tips would be welcomed!
Cheers big beers,
Ben

Nice. For the rice lager do you have to do a cereal mash first? Like at higher temps and then use that wort as the base for the malt mash? I would like to have a go at a rice lager, any tips would be welcomed!
Cheers big beers,
Ben
For the 3 times ive brewed it i didn't do anything different, just added 1kg of cooked rice to the mash at about 66c.

4kg pale malt
1kg rice (uncooked weight)
Saaz hops
S189 yeast.

In the fermenter is my take on a festbier, using extra light DME, a bit of melanoidin and carapils, with Tettnang for bittering and flavour.
I'm using a Kolsch dried yeast, but the temperature is 35 C here so plenty of frozen water bottles being used to keep things in check.

Back