Brewcraft Keg & Line Cleaner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
This could belong in the "Gear & Equipment" section, but I figured here would be good too...

I've got a small tub of Brewcraft Keg & Line Cleaner here in front of me and it lists the active ingredient as "Oxygen Bleach & Sanitiser".

Since I certainly don't have access to a gas chromatograph *sic* I can't figure out for sure what kind of "oxygen bleach" it is referring to.

Its odour is somewhat similar to Sodium Percarbonate, but not nearly as strong...in fact it is quite a faint odour.

There seem to be two different materials in there...a granular substance that looks just like Napisan and a translucent powder of some sort.

Does anyone here know what this stuff is really made from?

PZ.

p.s. would Sodium Percarbonate (Napisan) be a suitable, cheaper alternative for cleaning kegs and lines, or does it have the potential to damage either of them?

Ask BrewCraft or the person who sold it to you for the Material Safety Data Sheet(MSDS). that will answer all of your questions. If they can't do that they should not have sold it to you!
James

Fingerlickin_B said:
Its odour is somewhat similar to Sodium Percarbonate, but not nearly as strong...in fact it is quite a faint odour.

There seem to be two different materials in there...a granular substance that looks just like Napisan and a translucent powder of some sort.

p.s. would Sodium Percarbonate (Napisan) be a suitable, cheaper alternative for cleaning kegs and lines, or does it have the potential to damage either of them?
[post="83175"][/post]​
Sodium percarbonate in its pure form has very little odour. Are you comparing the odour with napisan or sodium percarbonate.

Lots of people use Napisan and are apparently very happy with it. I use pure sodium percarbonate which is cheaper and doesn't have other funky stuff in it. An experiment I did with it early on was to clean my expression group head which had been in service for about 3 years. I have posted it before but this kind of topic seems to come round every 6 months or so.

groupheadclean.jpg

The photo is from is http://brewiki.org/CleaningAndSanitation

sosman said:
Fingerlickin_B said:

[post="83175"][/post]​
Sodium percarbonate in its pure form has very little odour. Are you comparing the odour with napisan or sodium percarbonate.

Lots of people use Napisan and are apparently very happy with it. I use pure sodium percarbonate which is cheaper and doesn't have other funky stuff in it. An experiment I did with it early on was to clean my expression group head which had been in service for about 3 years. I have posted it before but this kind of topic seems to come round every 6 months or so.

groupheadclean.jpg

The photo is from is http://brewiki.org/CleaningAndSanitation
[post="83179"][/post]​

Sosman, yeah thanks I have seen that pic before...it was really the beer lines I was more worried about...Sodium Percarbonate will not harm them?

As for the odour, I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell, so much so that Potassium Nitrate for example almost makes me retchand we all know it is odourlessover-exposure perhaps :ph34r:

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B said:
Sosman, yeah thanks I have seen that pic before...it was really the beer lines I was more worried about...Sodium Percarbonate will not harm them?

As for the odour, I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell, so much so that Potassium Nitrate for example almost makes me retchand we all know it is odourlessover-exposure perhaps :ph34r:
[post="83182"][/post]​
I use it for my beer lines too. It is reasonably inert and decomposes to oxygen and sodium carbonate. I sometimes add some detergent (LABS acid) to help it "get in".

Sounds good then...now everything brew-related in my house will be cleaned with it...except the glasses :D

PZ.

Back