Quantcast

Brewcraft Fresh Wort Kit

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

soundawake

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wanted to get a brew on today and had close to zero time so I thought I'd get a Brewcraft fresh wort kit. Normally I avoid going there but they're the only place in Adelaide that sell them (that I'm aware of).

Anyway I got a 15L 'Original Porter' kit. No expected gravity figures were supplied. I topped up to 20L with water as per instructions and took a reading, and it only came up at 1.036. This is pretty low and I'm expecting to have a midstrength beer at the end of it, not a typical porter! I put the brew down after Brewcraft had closed for the day so I couldn't call them.

I'm kicking myself I didn't take a reading at 17L or so, but the kit was designed to be a 20L kit. Should I be happy with this or should I call Brewcraft and ask them what the deal is?

After taking the reading I just pitched the yeast, s-04 in this case. About half an hour later I realised I just should have added more dry malt... d'oh!

Helles

Reaction score
call them Frigin cheapskates

soundawake

Reaction score
Still not too late I reckon. If you have any that is...
I do.... according to brewmate I'd want to add around 330grams.. wasn't sure if I should be adding anything after pitching.. should I?

pimpsqueak

Barbeerian
Reaction score
I do.... according to brewmate I'd want to add around 330grams.. wasn't sure if I should be adding anything after pitching.. should I?
Hell yes man, get that stuff in there. Just dissolve it in a small amount of cold water then boil and cool before tossing it in.
All sorts of stuff can be added after pitching. Hops, sugaz, spices etc...

RdeVjun

Reaction score
Yes, add the extra malt now, will be fine. :icon_cheers:

soundawake

Reaction score
Hell yes man, get that stuff in there. Just dissolve it in a small amount of cold water then boil and cool before tossing it in.
All sorts of stuff can be added after pitching. Hops, sugaz, spices etc...
Will do! Thanks!!

Edit - how much water for 330g of LDME? Obviously I want to add as little water as possible.

Florian

Back On Track
Reaction score
Just as much as you need to be able to bring it to boil. You're not trying to make a yeast starter, so keep the gravity high if you don't want to dilute further.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
Anyway I got a 15L 'Original Porter' kit. No expected gravity figures were supplied.
They should be

I topped up to 20L with water as per instructions and took a reading, and it only came up at 1.036. This is pretty low and I'm expecting to have a midstrength beer at the end of it, not a typical porter! I put the brew down after Brewcraft had closed for the day so I couldn't call them.
Make sure everything is as it should be - hydrometer works properly, etc.

I'm kicking myself I didn't take a reading at 17L or so, but the kit was designed to be a 20L kit. Should I be happy with this or should I call Brewcraft and ask them what the deal is?
Um........... ring and ask.

After taking the reading I just pitched the yeast, s-04 in this case. About half an hour later I realised I just should have added more dry malt... d'oh!
You still can - boil some up in a minimum amount of water, cover and allow to cool, then add gently in.

soundawake

Reaction score
Well, I just bottled this today and it smelled and tasted fantastic out of the fermenter. Should be a cracker. Thanks for everyone's advice.