Brewclub -minors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
So i'm starting a Brew Club at my university but i just wanted to find out where i might stand on some things to do with minors. Understandably I've had a fair bit of interest from younger students who are underage and can't BUY alcohol. One iron gutted kid has been doing kn3k (thats kit and three kilos of sugar :icon_vomit: )

So from what i understand its legal for a minor to go to a brew day, chuck in for ingredients and then take a cube home, what they choose to do with that cube at home is their business. Is that right? I know when i was a kid we could just go buy homebrew kits from woolies and they didn't even bat an eye lid.

Obviously minors can't be involved in any activities that directly involve alcohol (like case swaps), but the making of it should be sweet shouldn't it?

Brew clubs are for grown ups.

Are you attending some kind of university for the gifted where 12 year olds are studying for their second PHD or are you somewhere where the legal age is 21?

18 is the legal age for purchasing alcohol hereabouts so most uni students are seasoned drinkers by the time they front their first lecture.

Possibility he is from America?

I turned 18 half way through my first year of uni. Not uncommon at all.

I'm at a QLD uni, so in the first year there's some students that are still 17. When i first started uni i was 17, it wasn't that great (until i worked out you could buy the coloured 'over 18' arm bands at the newsagent :beer: )

I'm not trying to setup a childcare/brewery operation. Oompa loompas?

Are you attending some kind of university for the gifted where 12 year olds are studying for their second PHD or are you somewhere where the legal age is 21?

18 is the legal age for purchasing alcohol hereabouts so most uni students are seasoned drinkers by the time they front their first lecture.

In QLD it is more common for 1st years to be under 18 at first, and turn 18 part way through the year, often a long way in...

I just had a quick read of Craftbrewers Terms and Conditions. I'm taking a guess it would be ok as long as it is not alcohol of any form, but you may want to find some legel person to clarify it. You can buy yeast and sugar from woolworths.

QldKev

mmmm... coles wine

You can buy yeast and sugar from woolworths.

QldKev

I had a read of the liquor act and there's nothing there about homebrew (which i thought there might considering how common knk is). The uni will probably ckeck it out for me, brewing will be done there so they'll wanna cover their ass as well.

Common sense suggestions the creation of malt extract by minors is fine.

...but the law aint always common sense

Short legal answer is yes its fine as its only wort.
Moralky should u, is another q,uestion

I was.17 when I started uni in victoria. It happens.

Just make it minimum age of 18 to join, simple. :beerbang:

I can tell you for a fact that it is not illegal but I'd get your hair done so that when your fronting the cameras for Today Tonight or Current Affair you look good running away from that reporter asking you some very pointed questions. Great way to get homebrewers a bad name also.

Moralky should u, is another q,uestion

All of them who want to join are already drinking goon. A couple told me that they get a kit, add some sugar and let it ferment for a couple days and then drink it straight from the fermenter. These aren't muslim schoolgirls i'm talking about!

I just want to make sure that if we have a 200L brew day and 8 people chuck in for ingredients and one of them happens to be underage that i'm not breaking the law.

winekids.jpg

I always like an opportunely to add this attachment :lol: :lol:

They won't be that impressed once parents of minors start complaining if they take wort home to ferment.
I bet most of the kids still live at home n all.
Different if the brewing is done at uni premises.
I know that some schools (might be tafe) do brewing up here. The brew shop guy said so quite apologetically when I asked why all his chemical racks were empty.

17! Geeez they're late starters! I was fermenting sultanas at the ripe old age of 13 and it hasn't done me any harm. :chug:

They won't be that impressed once parents of minors start complaining if they take wort home to ferment.
I bet most of the kids still live at home n all.
Different if the brewing is done at uni premises.
I know that some schools (might be tafe) do brewing up here. The brew shop guy said so quite apologetically when I asked why all his chemical racks were empty.

Funnily enough ( or not) one of the local high schools up my way did a science experiment for the year 12 classes that involved making home brew, a few eyebrows where raised, go figure.

Back