Brewbrite

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
i'm a big fan of using brewbrite in the kettle but have noticed it does lose it's effectiveness
after a few months, mine is about 6 months old i think.
chill haze is back bigger than ever and no cornflake effect in the kettle.
has anyone else noticed this?
is there an expiry date for using it, say 3 months?
seems to clarrify the wort still but loses its effectiveness in reducing haze.

Haven't with mine yet but its not that old i think. iirc it readily absorbs water from atmosphere , not sure if that effects it but was told to keep it well sealed

How are you storing yours?

I was told to keep it airtight in the fridge. No issues yet, have had for about 4 months...

Nick

I bought two tubs of BrewBright from MHB in August and yes I've noticed it's gone a bit "slack" although it still goes well in the kettle. I've been keeping mine in the fridge.
I've got new supplies on the way and intend to freeze it. Provided it's well sealed it should stay good - I recently found a cliplock pack of some Brewbrite I'd bought from a bulk buy about 2 years ago in the freezer. It was still dry and running freely and I used some in a boil last week. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

Will report in this thread.

How are you storing yours?

I was told to keep it airtight in the fridge. No issues yet, have had for about 4 months...

Nick
hi nick, just keeping it in the ziplock bag and sqeezing out the air but it can be a mongrel to get it to seal, seems dry enough, but noticed less cornflaking when adding to the kettle and the chill haze has returned.
usually clears up after 2 weeks but so does the volume of beer in the keg :rolleyes: .
i think ross mentioned something about a shorter shelf life when he was asked to stock it , which he now does :) .
might order some more and compare, will confirm the results, could just be my storage habits.

i'm a big fan of using brewbrite in the kettle but have noticed it does lose it's effectiveness
after a few months, mine is about 6 months old i think.
chill haze is back bigger than ever and no cornflake effect in the kettle.
has anyone else noticed this?
is there an expiry date for using it, say 3 months?
seems to clarrify the wort still but loses its effectiveness in reducing haze.
thanks bribie, it's cheap enough to buy but would be nice to know if it needs chucking out :unsure:

Manufacture recommends storing in a cool dry place and that the container be tightly closed, moisture uptake shouldnt have too much affect on kettle performance but can make it harder to disperse evenly.
I pack mine in a wadded chemical jar with a moisture absorbing sachet, have never refrigerated or frozen it and have had no problems, even with the test stock that is several months older than that which is being sold. But I always make a slurry in cold water and add to the whirlpool, if adding the powder directly to the kettle, it is better to add it 10 minutes from the end of the boil to ensure proper hydration.
MHB

MHB so if making a slurry, which I always do, would you recommend stirring that now and again for 10 minutes or so before pouring into the kettle? Or just chuck it in once mixed.

Manufacture recommends storing in a cool dry place and that the container be tightly closed, moisture uptake shouldnt have too much affect on kettle performance but can make it harder to disperse evenly.
I pack mine in a wadded chemical jar with a moisture absorbing sachet, have never refrigerated or frozen it and have had no problems, even with the test stock that is several months older than that which is being sold. But I always make a slurry in cold water and add to the whirlpool, if adding the powder directly to the kettle, it is better to add it 10 minutes from the end of the boil to ensure proper hydration.
MHB

I'm still using the test sample you sent me MHB, never stored in the fridge but always kept tightly closed. I think it's still working like the day I first used it.
Great stuff as well.

batz

Manufacture recommends storing in a "cool dry place" and that the container be tightly closed, moisture uptake shouldn't have too much affect on kettle performance but can make it harder to disperse evenly.
MHB
hi mark, i originally bought this from you, been mostly a great success, my main concern is the humidity up here last summer was extreme,
i probably should invest in an air tight container, just wondering whether my chill haze is a direct result of poor storage or keeping it too long?

Moisture- absorbent silica gel sachets in humid climates perhaps? Obviously not food safe though...

I've had mine about 3mths and keep it in fridge sealed and dry. I rehydrate in a small amount of cold boiled water from fridge and add about 15mins from end of boil. Works great with my beers.

Moisture- absorbent silica gel sachets in humid climates perhaps? Obviously not food safe though...
I dont quite understand your point and no you arent meant to eat the packet of desiccant (as it says on the packet) but the silica gel is pretty benign, it is the same type of sachets you find in bottles of tablets. The sachets are made to be safe in contact with food stuff.
we sell another form of PVPP blended with silica gel powder (Polyclar 70/30+) the same type of silica gel is used to bind proteins but at the other end of the brewing process it being a post fermentation treatment. So even if you dumped the sachet in the kettle it wouldnt do any harm.
Rather than just stick the BrewBright in a plastic bag, we chose high quality food grade plastic jars from a pharmaceutical packaging catalogue, with a moisture proof lid and added a desiccant (which costs more) to give the best possible shelf life to the product and still manage to sell at a more than competitive price
I suppose if you opened the packet and carefully ground the silica gel to a very fine powder and snorted it, you could get silicoses, otherwise ... meh
MHB

Ive been storing mine in an old home brand napisan container that has been washed 10000 times and dried completely.

Never had a problem using brewbrite and it stays in the brew dungeon where it can get quite humid (only when brewing, otherwise it stays at a nice dry 22-22'C)

I could store it in the fridge, or even fermenting fridge, but havent had a problem with it and been using it for about 4 months now without a problem.

I may even get a little silicon packet to help with any moisture absorbtion but ive found it quite fine being in the large white plastic container

Sponge

I just vacuum seal it each time after i have taken required amount, sealer is already out for the hops, takes 2 seconds

I just vacuum seal it each time after i have taken required amount, sealer is already out for the hops, takes 2 seconds

Good idea, I'm thinking of sealing it into 12g bags ready for single use. Grab a bag, it's pre-measured so its just cut and add.

(12g is for my 3 cube x 4g system)

a little bit OT., but Ive never used brewbrite...does it replace whirlfloc? or do you need both at the end of the boil?

Back