Brew with coffee

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlnicholas

Reaction score
Hi,
I brewed a russian stout and would like to add some coffee flavor in it. What is the best ways to do this?
Ive think about making fresh espresso and add it to the fermenter, or simply add the grain to the fermenter. What guys are you thinking is the best way to proceed?
Thank

Sorry, wish I can help, but it's interesting to know what comes out. Guys more knowledgeable will surely be along soon to answer your questions. Keep us posted?

Get a jar with a a lid, add1 cup of smashed up coffee beans steeped in 2 cups of vodka for a week or two.
Shake it daily.
When you're happy with it, strain it out and add to taste.
For a new and exciting twist, you could sub out the potato water for Bundy OP rum and go full send as the children say.

In my RIS I put 3 heaped dessert spoonfuls in a small French press, filled with water (cold) and left it in the fridge for about 36 hours. (Also added 6T spoons of vanilla paste)
Added to the fermenter prior to O2 free transfer to keg
Bloody awesome

I get a good coffee hit by "dry-beaning" in the keg (19L) with about 140g of whole beans, in a stainless steel tea ball. Pop it in the keg for 2 days.

I have made many coffee stouts. A simple way would be to buy a 100g vacuum pack of ground coffee, boil it up in a pot, strain it through a chux cloth and add the liquid directly to your brew. Works a treat.

I have made a few coffee stouts myself aswell, about to crash chill one this afternoon actually. I kinda of do a dry hop with 400ml fresh coffee (22l batch). Sanitised French press, chill for an hour in the fridge and pour it in on day 4. Works a treat for me.

Hi,
I brewed a russian stout and would like to add some coffee flavor in it. What is the best ways to do this?
Ive think about making fresh espresso and add it to the fermenter, or simply add the grain to the fermenter. What guys are you thinking is the best way to proceed?
Thank
Hello, how were you able to proceed, any updates? Thanks.

Hi,
Thank
How do you guys prepare your cold brew coffee (step by step and pictures would be awesome!)? How does Stumptown produce the amount of cold brew they do (going off the Los Angeles location, they have it on tap, bottles, and 64oz jugs)? Any cool homemade cold brew devices on here? And what is your normal coffee to water ratio with the final product (mention what strength you’re going for and type of coffee you use for that measurement)

How do you guys prepare your cold brew coffee (step by step and pictures would be awesome!)? How does Stumptown produce the amount of cold brew they do (going off the Los Angeles location, they have it on tap, bottles, and 64oz jugs)? Any cool homemade cold brew devices on here? And what is your normal coffee to water ratio with the final product (mention what strength you’re going for and type of coffee you use for that measurement)

I use one of these to make my cold brew at home. It only makes a small amount (about 750mL), but you can get bigger devices to make more. I just keep it in the fridge and then start another batch the following day.

I half fill the water bit with ice, the other half with water and fill the coffee bit to just below the top with medium to coarse ground fresh beans.

This gives me medium strength brew, but it does vary depending on the beans.

There's a place close to me (Cartel in Geelong), who make bigger volumes (around 10-20L at a time) but the device they use is very large.

JD

No need for a homemade device. Just use a spare plastic fermenter if you need volume. Otherwise a 2L glass jar, 5L demijohn etc etc

I have been to Code Black in South Melbourne and chatted to the dude their who literally uses a 50L fermenter and a BIAB bag to steep their cold brew in. Tastes delicious. Easy to filter.
As for process. Depends on how strong you want it. But I'd do a 1:4 ratio for a coffee concentrate, all the way up to 1:16
for 1:4 this would look like:
  • 125 grams coffee grounds to 500 ml of water
  • 250 grams coffee grounds to 1 liter of water
Course grind your coffee beans, as if you were making a french press coffee.

Back