Brew virgin from Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewller

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a first timer (so go easy on me) and am trying to get me first batch to completion.
I've been wanting to do something for ages but have only just got around to it.

I started off with a Brigalow home brew kit, chucked out the ingredients and went to the home brew shop (not sure of its name) in Church Street Richmond and bought Mangrove Jacks Northern Bitter, Beer Essentials Brew Blend extra malt booster #20 and Lallemand Nottingham Ale Yeast.
I kind of followed the instructions on the packets mixed with a bit of what the brew kit told me to do (possibly my first mistake but have never been great at following direction!)
I mixed up the Northern bitter packet and teh malt in 4 litres of hot water, then added 19 litres of cold, then mixed the yeast in after mixing it in hot water first.
Its in our single car garage under the building which is not super warm but is pretty constant in temperature
So that was on 29 June 2014 and I've been taking a few SG readings since then.
It hasn't bubbled up through the air lock but I wasn't sure whetehr that was due to the drum not being full.
The SG readings were:
5/7/14 - 1025
7/7/14 - 1020
9/7/14 - 1020
11/7/14 - 1020
13/7/14 - 1020
15/7/14 - 1020
Well you get the idea.
I've read about stalled fermentation and the 1020 curse but am not sure what I need to do now.
Is it kaput and ready to flushed down the sink, should I bottle as is, or is there some way to move it along?
I've attached a photo of the top (I'm sure it has a name but like I say, I'm new here!)

Anyway, happy to hear any and all suggestions, feedback etc and won't let this set back keep me from trying again.

Thanks again.

Jez

IMG_0790.JPG

a couple of questions
you mixed yeast in hot water ?

What temp is your fermenter at (if it's like my garage it's too cold for an ale yeast)

mxd said:
a couple of questions
you mixed yeast in hot water ?

What temp is your fermenter at (if it's like my garage it's too cold for an ale yeast)
Ummmm, yes?!
Was that wrong?
That's what the yeast packet said to do.

Not sure about the temperature as I hadn't considered getting a thermometer to measure ambient temperature or aything like that.

Brewller said:
I mixed up the Northern bitter packet and teh malt in 4 litres of hot water, then added 19 litres of cold, then mixed the yeast in after mixing it in hot water first.
If you topped up your fermenter with cold water, what was the temperature?

If you DID mix your yeast with some hot water and then pitched that into the fermenter then I'd hazard to say you've killed your yeast. Yeast and hot water don't go well.

And put that lid back on the fermenter, how often have you been removing it, or did you take it off for the photo? The more chances your wort has to see air, the more chance it has to become infected.

Happy trails my friend, welcome to a world of wonder.

Cheers

Brewller said:
Ummmm, yes?!
Was that wrong?
That's what the yeast packet said to do.

Not sure about the temperature as I hadn't considered getting a thermometer to measure ambient temperature or aything like that.
If you want to re-hydrate the yeast (I'm assuming that is what it said), never use hot water. Ale yeast enjoys pitching and rehydrating around 18-20 degrees, that's what I've always done and never had a problem.

Get your self some thermometers, you'll need them.

If you could throw some info out for people to work on.
What yeast was used
What is the actual temperature in your garage.
As this will allow for a better review of the situation as mxd said it may be to low for the yeast.

Crouch said:
If you want to re-hydrate the yeast (I'm assuming that is what it said), never use hot water. Ale yeast enjoys pitching and rehydrating around 18-20 degrees, that's what I've always done and never had a problem.

Thanks Crouch.

So no one has come straight out and said it yet but I'm getting the feeling that I need to tip out, clean up and start again with some new tools.
Is that what you reckon?

Rob.P said:
If you could throw some info out for people to work on.
What yeast was used
What is the actual temperature in your garage.
As this will allow for a better review of the situation as mxd said it may be to low for the yeast.
Hi Rob

As I mentioned in my post I used Lallemand Nottingham Ale Yeast.
Not sure on the ambient temp as I have not got thermometers (yet!)
Crouch also suggested issues with yeast and hot water.

Cheers

No, just get another packet of yeast (normally you dont need to rehydrate most dry yeasts, I do occasionally, but not often) and pitch that into the fermenter.

Crouch said:
No, just get another packet of yeast (normally you dont need to rehydrate most dry yeasts, I do occasionally, but not often) and pitch that into the fermenter.
Thanks Crouch!
And get some thermometers, check.
Is it worth looking at heat pads/belts to bring the temp up/maintain the temp?

there's a difference between warm and hot water..yeast you mix with water about 20 degrees.wort temp should be about the same temp..just out of curosity which suburb you in

I suspect the yeast has stalled because the temperature is too cold. See if you can get a heat pad from homebrew shop or online. Repitching yeast will get it going again but you need to be able to maintain a warmer temperture. Good luck.

DU99 said:
there's a difference between warm and hot water..yeast you mix with water about 20 degrees.wort temp should be about the same temp..just out of curosity which suburb you in
Yeah I'm starting to get that now!
I've just re-read the instructions and it appears that I may not have read them correctly.
I'm thinking that perhaps I was reading the bit about the clearing agent which is mixed with hot water before adding... ooopsss!!

I'm in Clifton Hill.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Notto is fine at cool temps, its range goes down to 14, I've used it at 12.

What temp did you rehydrate at?
To be honest I have no clue!
Without a thrmometer I would have to guess that the ambient temp is around 13-15 C.

scrimple101 said:
I suspect the yeast has stalled because the temperature is too cold. See if you can get a heat pad from homebrew shop or online. Repitching yeast will get it going again but you need to be able to maintain a warmer temperture. Good luck.
Thanks, I think I might just do that today.
Cheers

Crouch said:

Actually, Danstar/Lallemand recommend 30-35°C for rehydrating Nottingham.

Latest posts

Back