Brew Take 2 - Check my recipe / method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewstertherooster

Reaction score
Hi folks, planning on doing this err, today, after I get a sleep. Stuffed up my first version, pretty sure I didn't dissolve the remaining extract and the fermentation has stalled at 1.020 (which it got to in abour 36 hours btw, this normal? dunno) even after adding more yeast, giving it some shake ups, heating up fermentation temp.

Blatant Ripoff Pacific Ale Take 2

Batch Size: 23L
Boil Size: 10L
Boil Length: 60 mins
Anticipated OG 1.048
Anticipated FG 1.013
Anticipated ABV 4.9% (after bottle conditioning)
Anticipated EBC 8.2
IBU 28.5

Fermentables
2.0kg Dry Golden Malt Extract
1.0kg Dry Wheat Malt Extract

Hops
Galaxy 12.2% 10 grams 60 mins 13.4IBU
Galaxy 12.2% 15 grams 15 mins 10.0IBU
Galaxy 12.2% 15 grams 5 mins 4.0IBU
Wai Iti 2.8% 20 grams 5 mins 1.2IBU
Galaxy 12.2% 15 grams 0 mins 0 IBU
Wai Iti 2.8% 20 grams 0 mins 0 IBU

Yeast
US-05 1 pack

Process
Boil 10 litres water in stockpot, take off heat and add 1kg malt (wheat malt?) and 10g Galaxy, return to heat
After 45 mins add 15g Galaxy
After 55 mins add 15g Galaxy, 20g Wai Iti
After 57 mins take off the heat, add remaining extract, return to heat
After 60 mins take off heat, add 15g Galaxy, 20g Wai Iti, fill stockpot (approx 17L) with pre-boiled cool water
Strain wort into fermenter
Top up fermenter to 23L with cool water
Place fermenter in ice bath
Once temperature reaches 22C pitch yeast (which has been pre-prepared in 25C pre boiled water)
Take OG reading
Ferment until it has reached about the expected FG and stayed steady for three days
Bottle and add 1.5g dextrose to each bottle
Leave the vast majority for at least two weeks in the bottle (obviously try one or two asap just to get the experience)

Initially I wasn't sure about how Galaxy and Wai Iti would go together, but smelling the one i stuffed up, they smell brilliant together. Smells like S&W pacific ale but a bit more citrusy. In any case, any feedback is appreciated, I'm doing more prep with this one after the last one was rushed to do at 5.30 in the morning the first chance I got to brew after moving into my new house.

Cheers folks

Drew

Ferment in a bucket of cold/ice water with a wet towel over the top, aiming to keep to about 20C (this worked with the last batch anyway, got a temp controller and a freezer to attach it to, just need to get the freezer from work to my house though).

Many people report galaxy for bittering as harsh, never used it early myself, I would have thought that the wai iti will get lost in all that galaxy, it's a fairly mild and soft sort of hop where galaxy is quite in your face.

Process looks ok to me from a quick read through, cool your boil pot prior to filling the fv, much quicker.

I would add the galaxy at 30mins left (enough for 29 IBU) then add the 40g of waiiti at 0 just before adding the cooled water. Done a brew the other week with heaps of waiiti, beautiful. All gone now.

Cheers folks, glad you're happy with the process, hopefully I don't stuff it up this time.

With regards to the hops though, think I'm just gonna stick with it as is, or maybe up it to 25g at 5 and 0.

Interestingly my original plan was for no early galaxy because I heard it produced harsh flavours and the advice I got on here was that those people have never had problems with it and I should do an early addition.

Think I'll go with it and learn from the way it tastes.

Cheers

Maybe just me, but I've not found galaxy that harsh as a bittering hop...drinking an all galaxy APA right now and it, in my opinion anyway, is mighty fine.

I'd say give it a try and learn for yourself whether you find it harsh or not!!

Cheers,

AJ

Thanks again for the input folks.

On tasting the one I stuffed up a bit, it didn't seem to have as much late hop character as what I was after. Also a bit of a harsh taste, which might be down to there actually being less fermentables than I'd planned for, but I panicked and went with a 15g addition at 30 mins instead of a 10g addition at 60.

Just brewed this, currently chilling

2kg Golden Light DME
1kg Wheat DME
15g Galaxy 12.2% 30 min
15g Galaxy 12.2% 15min
15g Galaxy 12.2% 5 mins
25g Wai Iti 2.8% 5 mins
15g Galaxy 12.2% 0 mins
25g Wai Iti 2.8% 0 mins

Fingers crossed

Cheers

Fermented with US-05, been fermenting for 9 days, just took a hydrometer sample. 1.012, which is what BrewMate predicted. had OG of 1.049, which was a smidge higher than anticipated. Should efficiency be higher than 70% for extract?

Hydrometer sample wasn't fantastic tasting, but I'm not too worried. Tasted like beer you've left out for a little while, but there was definitely some passionfruit and citrus there. Not too worried as it was warm and the yeast wouldn't have cleaned up after itself yet completely, yeah? The aftertaste was really nice though, definitely getting the passionfruit and citrus I was going for. Not as in your face as I was hoping but we'll see how it's going after it's been in the bottle a little while and is a bit colder.

So my plan from here is take another hydrometer reading on Thursday night. If it's the same I'll add some gelatin (how much?) that night and then bottle the next day, stick the bottles in the fridge at about 2-3C, try one, but mainly leave them for at least a week.

Sound good? Any advice on my plan, any answers to the questions I've scattered through this thing?

Cheers

Drew

Drew

I love this hop and I kegged a similar brew in December. Really disappointed when that keg blew. I used LME, WME, Crystal Malt and all Galaxy (fermented with rinsed 1056). My hop addittions in a six litre boil were 20g @ 40min; 15g @ 25min, 15g @ 15min and 10g @ day 5. Probably to bitter for a Pacific Ale but I loved it and will be making more this weekend.

If going into the bottle, leave out the gelatin, you will also need to keep them at ferment (room) temp for a few weeks to carb up properly.. I found bottled beer to be at its best with a few months of age on them, usually the last 3 or 4 bottles of the batch.. Ha. Ha.

HI folks.

Thought I'd update on this brew as I often read threads about starting to brew something and never get to hear how it turns out.

Bottled last week, stuck em in the fridge this afternoon. Tried one once it was cooled and I'm frigging happy for my first go. Still cloudier than I'd like but from what I understand that's what the week in the fridge is for? It's maybe a little darker than the very very light colour of S&W. The hop taste is similar. Probably needs more IBUs to come from later to get it the same as S&W. This was only meant to be inspired by S&W, and had Wai Iti, which S&W doesn't. Someone mentioned I'd probably need more wai iti to notice it and they were probably right. There's definitely a bit of lemon/lime zest on the finish if you look for it, but I was hoping for something a bit more obvious.

Cheers for the advice to everyone that's helped me out, and I'm looking forward to brewing my 2nd batch, a cascade SHIPA, Sunday morning.

Cheers

Drew

Latest posts

Back