Brew suggestions? What to put down

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bax

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My brews have getting more and more complex with additions and the like of late, not that this is a problem at all! But I wanted to keep my next brew simpler, as money is a bit tight at the moment.

Inventory:
500g LDME.
Packet of Chinook Hop Pellets
Packet of Cascade Hop Pellets
Packet of Nelson Sauvin Hop Pellets
Packet of Citra Hop Pellets.

Preferred yeast is US-05.

I'm thinking something simple, nothing too hoppy, just a pretty mellow beast.

Australian Pale Ale with hop additions perhaps. But what hops for a bit of aroma and a TINY bit of bitterness.

Are you planning to use a kit like the Coopers Australian pale ale kit?

That kit will probably have enough bitterness in it already, you could boil up some cascade and chinook for 5-10 minutes for some nice flavour and aroma.

What weight are the hop packs?

Beer is definitely a good choice, and I think in the end you'll be pretty accurate with that suggestion haha

They've 500g packs or something ridiculous, so I've got plenty to go around.

It's a coopers pale ale kit, but I'm not looking for authenticity, as I'm actually not a huge fan of the genuine product, gives me massive headaches for some reason. So aroma/flavour but no bitterness sounds ideal.

I did read in here somewhere, somebody did the standard kit with 15g of Nelson Sauvin dry hopped at the end.

Nelson goes well with Cascade? Maybe a 10 minute boil with the LDME? I need to jump in the calculator I think.

Calculator is saying 10 minute boil is massively hoppy. Maybe 10 minutes on the Cascade and add the Nelson in at flameout.

Add 300g of Dex will take me up to 1036. Could probably bump that to 500g for 1039. Could also leave the dex out and go more malt.

Check out the spreadsheet for your desired IBU and malt additions... What alcohol range are you after? If you're after 4.5% ish you'll be looking at 15-17 litres.

I've never used NS so I can't give any actual reports on it, but I've read that it doesn't work well with many hops, but does work with cascade.

I'm a big fan of dry hopping...

Cheers I'll have a play around when I get back to work.

4-4.5% will do me. My last few have been 5-6.5% so bringing it back would be a bit more drinkable at the moment

I made one with Citra, was freakin AWESOME.

Crystal in 10 litres @ 65°

10 Citra @ 20

25 Citra @ 10

25 Citra @ 5

30 Citra Dry Hop

Use the DME for the boil.

indica86 said:
I made one with Citra, was freakin AWESOME.

Crystal in 10 litres @ 65° 10 Citra @ 20 25 Citra @ 10 25 Citra @ 5 30 Citra Dry Hop
Use the DME for the boil.
Isn't citra great? I've seen so many people say it stinks, but I love it.

One of my favs to dry hop with.

Hey there!
I used to make an APA with those sorts of ingredients. If you pick yourself up a can of goo and 500g of crystal 60 you'll be quite sorted.
Since you have the spreadsheet just plonk in 500g crystal 60 1.5kg ldme a can of Coopers Pale ale and cascade at 15 and 5 and you've got an epic and tasty APA. Follow the brew-day instructions and you're good to go!

Canuck

I would not use 500g crystal.
250g is plenty.

indica86 said:
I would not use 500g crystal.
250g is plenty.
500g of crystal or caraanything is too much for a single/small batch

What's the issue with using 500g of crystal in a single batch? I'm just about to bottle a Coopers Unreal Ale with 500g of crystal so curious to know what it will do.

I don't think I'll be using any crystal this time guys. I just need to pick up some yeast from the local shop, I don't think they'll have any crystal but I'll ask, if they do then I'll add it. But I was hoping to avoid any ordering just so I could get it down asap.

I think I'll go with the Nelson/Cascade mix. 500g of malt and tin of APA goo.

Northkit said:
What's the issue with using 500g of crystal in a single batch? I'm just about to bottle a Coopers Unreal Ale with 500g of crystal so curious to know what it will do.
i find it makes the beers very sweet.

I have done it once - 500g - and it was way too sweet.

Bugger, not a big fan of sweet beers. It's been fermenting for almost 2 weeks now, the brew has 24g of fuggles but is there any extra hop additions I can make to balance out the sweetness?

Cheers.

Probably not. Live and learn you can though.

Well, there's nothing "wrong" with it... The OP wants something mellow.

If you're doing a 23L batch, I would say 500g is a lot of crystal (I'd say around the 15% 'fermentables' for an all grain equivalent)

Latest posts

Back