Brew Stand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much to contribute to this thread, but the two-tier stands will generally have a pump in there. I think the mash tun on the top is best, where hot water is pumped from the HLT right below, up to the mash tun for doughing in and sparging, etc, then just run off the wort from the mash tun down to the boiler, then down to the fermenter.
The one with the HLT on the top basically means you just have to pump wort from the mash tun to the boiler. I would prefer to pump water, but apparently wort is ok to pump.
I'm going to be making a two-tier soon, and shall be using zee power of electricity to heat everything up... which means I don't need burners/space for burners.
I will have the HLT on the top tier, going down into the mash tun on the first tier, with the boiler on the ground. Nice and simple. I can either put a pump in there and spend $50-$200, or pick up the boiler while it's cooling, or even pick up the mash tun if I'm not going to do a sparge. I'll probably get a mate to help me, in case you're wondering. :)

In Melbourne you can get 2nd hand Dexion from One Stop Second Hand Shelving Shop. The address is 3/162 Grange Rd Fairfield. tel: 94999755. I'd call first because the stock changes depending on what's around at the time.

Cheers Rob! :)

That number's noted. I'll give 'em a call up the track. Sick of sitting my brew kettle on a fairly wobbly wooden shelf.

I want something on castors that I can move around the garage and that won't collapse :super:

Warren -

Last time I asked they were selling lengths of about 3 metres for $10 a length, including nuts & bolts.

My 3 tier stand cost a total of $10 from the Canberra Tip. Its an old TV stand from the National Archives. It was already on wheels so I just modified it with some pipe for extra legs that I had laying around in the shed.

3tiersetup.jpg

Wobbo

Hey Wobbo.

What's the white thing on the bottom of your stand when it's not being used in the brewery?

I'd presume it to be a boiler? :blink:

Warren -

Yeah its an old "Malleys" brand gas copper they used to be used before washing machines. Ive converted it to Natural Gas so never run out of gas. :D Holds 55L & comes to boil very quickly. Bought it from an old lady in Melbourne from thre Trading Post. :D

Wobbo

Nice setup Wobbo :)

Is that a Therminator chiller you're using. Very interesting looking devices.

How well does it work? Did you buy it from Northern Brewer?

Warren -

Wobbo said:
My 3 tier stand cost a total of $10 from the Canberra Tip. Its an old TV stand from the National Archives. It was already on wheels so I just modified it with some pipe for extra legs that I had laying around in the shed.

View attachment 2189
[post="52207"][/post]​
How do you change channels?

I wouldn't recommend the hammerlok shelving - it is very thin steel and would probably buckle with the twin influences of weight and heat. Its fine for storage but I wouldn't load it up with hot liquids and hang around :(

One approach, if welding is out and you don't have any 19" racks laying around, is the 'vertical plank' - I've seen some quite decent ones using just timber and strong shelf brackets. Build an upside-down T with wheels on the bottom, and then fix shelves at staggered heights on either side of the vertical support. I'm sure this is nothing new but let me know if you want more detail and I'll try and find some pics.

Ive used dexion racking, but bolted together. There are/were pictures in the gallery. Cost was $70 in total for what I needed.

Roach what ever you do on your brewery do not sacrifice the proffessional look for the sake of cheap ,your missus will hassle you so long as it looke like a heap of crap .

Its a Therninator. Bought it from ibrew in QLD, although should have bought it direct fron the States would have been cheaper....
Works excellent, for a single 23L batch it chills as fast as I can gravity drain fron the boiler - about 6-7min all done. Double that for a double batch. Best investment I ever made.......

Wobbo

warrenlw63 said:
For those of us who can't weld,

Has anybody ever had any experience with Dexion?

They claim each shelf can hold 120kg

http://www.dexion.com.au/www/welcome.cfm

Warren -
[post="52061"][/post]​
Warren,
Thats pretty much been my choice all along. When I do get around to the stand part.
I dont have much room so I want something i can leave outside.

cheers
johnno

Wobbo said:
Its a Therninator. Bought it from ibrew in QLD, although should have bought it direct fron the States would have been cheaper....
Works excellent, for a single 23L batch it chills as fast as I can gravity drain fron the boiler - about 6-7min all done. Double that for a double batch. Best investment I ever made.......

Wobbo
[post="52371"][/post]​
Wobbo, how much did it set you back ?

Hoops said:
Wobbo said:

Wobbo
[post="52371"][/post]​
Wobbo, how much did it set you back ?
[post="52386"][/post]​
Hoops,
I just emailed ibrew for a quote.
I went to the Therminator site in the States and the recommended retail is $199. Cosidering they are a very small unit postage wouldn't be too much.
I want one!!

cheers
johnno

Paid $295 and it included a Thrumometer and postage as well. I believe prices have gone up since and they are now selling them for about $365. Thats why I would be buying one direct from the States, they dont weigh that much - about 5 kg so postage wouldnt be prohibitive.

Wobbo

Doc said:
NOT HAPPY JAN

Was just clearing it with the building manager and security to get it out on Sunday and a damn #$(&*#) backflip.

#$(*&#$(&*@(*&@$#

Now got the feelers out on other avenues to score a 19" rack.

Doc
[post="52065"][/post]​

Score

Have now scored a brand new APC full height 19" rack (so comes in the perfect colour, BLACK), and it will be delivered tomorrow to my house, by my work for FREE.
WOOOHOOOOOO
Apparently it has a minor ding and the vendor wouldn't take it back as a return :lol:

Beers,
Doc

Spent most of yesterday in a server room, all I could see was 6 beautiful brewing stands in a wonderfully temperature controlled environment.

Back