Brew Stand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes although you can get a 1.5kg CO2 bottle from Goliaths for $120. And you don't have it upside down like a fire extinguisher(unless you get the spear removed and refill the bottle)

I decided to go two tier as I didn't like the look of all that hot stuff up high. I have the mash tun at waist height while the HLT & boiler are at shin height.

I decided the mash tun should be highest so I can run off using gravity during the sparge while everything else is pumped. If the mash tun is not above the boiler then I guess you have to batch sparge as you will have to pump the runnings out.

So - u will also be pumping from the kettle into the fermenter as well then.

GMK - assuming the question is directed at me. yes i intend to pump from the kettle through the CFWC into the fermenter - otherwise i have heard it is verrrrry slooooowwww.

so what pump do you all use for pumping I was thinking about a Idra pump has any one got one of these if so whats it like

I use an IDRA pump and know of a few others who do as well.
It is a good pump and with the 2m high it is very versatile - can have 12mm inlet and 12mm outlet barbs/pipes.

Very happy with mine.

Still been giving thought to getting myself built a proper brew stand.
The old bedside drawers I've been using for the last couple of years are really starting to fall apart now.
So I'm sitting at my desk just looking around, staring into space, when I actually focus on what is in front of me. An old 19" rack with the front, sides and back removed. A good solid rack with a top etc. Then bingo. Perfect a 19" rack as a brew stand. Why not. Insert a few shelves. HLT can sit on top, MLT below, and boiler on the bottom. A perfect 3-tier vertical gravity feed brew stand.
I've attached a pic for those not in IT so you know what I'm talking about.
Now to find one I can get at the right price :lol: Would be great if I can score the one I'm looking at.
We are actually moving a whole bunch of infrastructure to a centralised hosting centre in the next few months which will free up about eighteen 19" racks. I've talked to my buddies in that department to see if they can earmark me one then too.

Beers,
Doc

19_Rack.jpg

Sheet Doc, why didn't i think of that before? I actually have 1/2 dozen Compaq racks sitting down at the storage shed waiting for someone to sell them too.... hmm can i justify such an expensive brew stand?

Good news.
Just talked to the right people, and they have been wanting to get rid of it.
It is all mine for free. They just want it gone.
Just have to score a couple of rack shelves and the assoicated nuts etc and I'm in brewtree heaven (after how I've been doing it up until now :p )

Glad I've got you thinking too now John :lol:

Beers,
Doc

Nice potential Doc as they say great minds, :D

We had a similar rack at work with the phone system and server mounted into it. Used to sit there pondering with my brewer's mentality.

You did well scoring one gratis. :super: :super:

Isn't it funny how over time we see everything has some form of potential in the brewery. :lol:

Warren -

Hmm, now you have me thinking.
I have a set of steel shelves in the shed which i bought from bunnings for like $20. I think they are rated at 50kg per shelf. But they also had bigger one which could hold more weight.
Im going to look into getting two or three of the super heavy duty ones and bastardising them into a brewstand.

I've got 3 stands for sale that require some cutting and welding to turn into a 3 tier. They are new, powder coated and very sturdy. i've already turned one into a 2 tier. Message me if you're interested. Can pick up in Violet Town or Melbourne. Probably asking $75 each, i'll post a pic asap

Nice one Doc.

Don't forget to cable manage your hoses properly :lol: You'll be able to buy a rack mount UPS off ebay for cheap so you can still run the HLT / pump in a blackout. ;)

I've thought about the bolt together shelves before, but my father in law bought a bolt together work bench from stratco last week which had two levels 1 @ foot level, and 1 at waist level, with wooden bench top that is slotted to lock into the metal frame. Not sure how much it cost but I'm pretty sure it could handle a brew setup easily, as it looked much sturdier than the shelving racks I've got in the shed.

NOT HAPPY JAN

Was just clearing it with the building manager and security to get it out on Sunday and a damn #$(&*#) backflip.

#$(*&#$(&*@(*&@$#

Now got the feelers out on other avenues to score a 19" rack.

Doc

warrenlw63 said:
...Has anybody ever had any experience with Dexion?

They claim each shelf can hold 120kg...
[post="52061"][/post]​

I use Dexion pallet racking (work context), and they seem to be an industry standard for that product. Dexion make good quality stuff, and should easily take rated loads. Don't know about cost, though.

Similar product I just found in Blackwoods catalogue is Hammer Lok by Summit. 12mm MDF shelves, 350kg capacity. Sizes and prices (with my discount, ex. GST) are:
(height x length x depth)
900 x 1140 x 550 = $101.82
1800 x 900 x 600 = $142.57
1800 x 900 x 400 = $103.48
Never heard of Hammer Lok, but cheaper's got to be better... Another option, anyway.

BeerIsGood - that sounds like the stuff i was talking about.

I reckon it looks the goods for those of us who are HandToolChallenged and are only after a single / 2 level brew stand, and those *real* brewers who are not restricted by the laws of gravity thanks to pumps.

Similar product I just found in Blackwoods catalogue is Hammer Lok by Summit. 12mm MDF shelves, 350kg capacity.

I have used this shelving system before, and it is tough as. Easy to put together, modular, fairly cheap, widely available at Bunnings etc, only drawbacks are it weighs a ton and the wooden shelving supplied may have issues with your NASA burner.

Website here.

Back