Brew Stand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach

brasserie de cancrelat
Reaction score
i drag the components of my set up out of the tool shed every time i want to brew and assemble them to sit on assorted outdoor furniture for brew day(eg 2morow for a lawnmower AG for summer).

i really need to build a two/three tier setup. Would love to have something like Andrew's ss work of art, batz's slotted angle iron frame, Chillers nice set up, Ashers plug n play etc etc.

But I am wanting something that is functional and cheap. What is people's view about a cost effective and easy to assemble 2/3 tier system. yes there are heaps of sites on the net, but would value ahb 'ers view about getting something together relatively easily.

cheer
roach

Roach, I am in the same boat as you.
I have seen some old shelving - like what Batz is using at Paramount Browns on Cavan Rd. I haven't asked a price yet as I need to borrow a ute or a car with towbar so haven't been too bothered moving gear around. Maybe give them a call or drop on down. It's in pretty good condition. You could probably get the rest of what you need for a good price too.

hi roach, my ramblings on the subject.
what kind of chiller do you have? imersion or cfc? as that might help decide what size stand you go for. if you have a cfc, then you will need a large drop to use a gravity feed setup (unless you have a pump).

a cheap option is to use the ground as your third tier and you only then need to make a 2 tier set up (gravity fed) if i got it right you use an immersion heater to get the boil going, so you might want the boiler at around waist height so you can 'safely' use the element.

not to sure if it is still happening, kmart up this way, had 5 tier angle iron shelving systems going for about $15 (50kg per shelf), maybe check it out, buy 2 and chop them into the lengths you need.\

.... more rambling... (sorry, to many hb's)

if you have seen the 'plastic breweries' on the web, one had some shelving bolted to the wall. might be worth a look if thats possible. be very easy to build (with strong brackets etc) and possibly light on the wallet.

ok, time to pass out now, hope there is something of use in this post.

thanks bonk and siiren. might try paramount browns and check out the kmart set ups

i just bought a cfc from Goliaths, have no pump, so I figure I might have to use the immersion cooler until I get one.

thanks guys

roach

I picked up an old florists trolley at a garage sale for $20, this serves as the base for my system and its on wheels so draging it out of the shed it nice and easy. Keep your eye out for garage sales or auctions as you can get some nice cheap gear at them.

Hi Roach,
I know this is an obvious statement, but whatever you do put wheels on it! Also consider its total height to its width. If you are going the 3 tire gravity route, 60 litres or so of very hot water up above your head has the potential to be nasty if you trip and fall into your rig...

Cheers!

Thanks Andrew. Yeah I'm a bit paranoid about the hot stuff above my head. So I think I'll go the 2 tier and buy a pump or 2 to move stuff around. are the pumps you use doing the job? see if i can scrounge some dexion and bung it on wheels. haven't got a shed, which is a PITA

Dexion,,, yeah thats the stuff!
couldn't think of it last night!

I agree roach i m still building my stands and going 2 tier as i dont like the idea of the hlt being to high

if going three tier build it sound and in time you will not worry <_< about having 75deg water above your head.
i dont give it a second thought these days ;)
mind you the beauty of a level playing field using a pump removes the need to stand on a ladder which does annoy me as ive fallen of this ladder enough times in the past. :(

cheers
big d

roach said:
i just bought a cfc from Goliaths, have no pump, so I figure I might have to use the immersion cooler until I get one.
Hi rob,
You don't need a pump to use the chiller they do work fine with just gravity that just means everything does need to be higher, it actually becomes four tier with the fermentor at the bottom(on the ground).

I got my slotted angle iron from paramount browns all up around 30metres for $100. If you buy a whole pack of ten then they come wrapped up with enough nuts and bolts to do the whole job.
They are around 3metre length, it as easy as hacksawing and bolting together and it is very very simple.
Jayse

fr019.jpg

Thanks Jayse - looks like a trip to paramount browns is in order.

Question for people with brew stands - how do you check the water temp in the HLT? Do you all mount thermometers in there?

Those black plastic drums are quite infamous now!

That other bit is a silo kai, even i wouldn't use that much grain :eek:

Jayse

Yeah I know it's a silo but I assumed some clever dick could turn it into a fermenter. I don't know much about that sort of thing so I guess it might not be possible.

And I feel uneasy just looking at those barrels. I don't think I could use one for beer.

what is the conventional wisdom on what sits at the top in 2 tier systems? More specifically why do some have the HLT at the top and others have the mash tun at the top(eg Asher)?. I have seen both setups with pumps and so interested to know the pros and cons.

I plan on getting a march pump in the b4 xmas, BTW.

cheers
Roach

Back