Brew Stand Vs Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I have a birthday coming up and am also in the final stages of completing my AG setup - the final stages of which will be my present. I've got a couple of theories that I'd like to bounce off everyone.

Current Equipment:
2 x 50L Stainless Steel Kettles (1 x Boiler, 1 x HLT as soon as I pick it up ;) )
1 x 38L Esky mash tun with Copper Manifold
1 x Goliath Counter Flow Wort Cooler
1 x NASA Burner + Reg

Already in the pipeline as another present:
1 x NASA Burner (to use with HLT)

As I see it, I have 2 Paths forward

1 - Spend some money on the slotted angle iron stuff which I can use to bolt together into a 3 level, gravity fed brew stand. I hear $100 will go close to covering the expenses.

2 - Spend a bit more money and get a March Pump with the idea of not spending any money on brewstands. Using the pump, it will be fine to use the NASA burner stands for the HLT and Boiler, and the pump will be used to transfer from HLT (on stand) to Mash Tun (on BBQ), which will gravity feed to Boiler, and then pump from boiler to CFWC.

I'm personally leaning toward option 2, because it involves less handy man work on my behalf, and is the most flexible for the near future. I'll also be moving house in the next year or so when we buy, and won't know if any stand I build now will suit the future house. It will also mean I'll have a March Pump B)

What I'm not sure about is the cost of a March Pump. I have it in my head at around $250.
Also, I'm assuming the march pump will be fine to transfer the liquid upto the mash tun on the BBQ.

Any opinions / alternate paths forward would be appreciated.

Cheers everyone.

Boots

I would recommend the march pump. I got one from morebeer along with a bunch of other stuff and it has the mounting plate on it which is nice. Couldn't live without it now!

It will pump the strike water up to your bbq level as long as it isnt sitting on your roof :) I do the same with mine and pump the strike water up about 1 - 1.2m above the pump without any issues.

Boots said:
Spend a bit more money and get a March Pump

I'm personally leaning toward option 2,

It will also mean I'll have a March Pump B)
That's the way Boots

Your not a true brewer until you own a March pump :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please note the funny faces :lol: :lol: :lol:

Batz

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Drag set to 3/4

Trolling steady 5-6 knots , waiting :p

Batz

I have a March pump and use it. However you still need something to mount your gear on.

Hi Boots,
If the financial controller approves the March pump then go for it.

But dont mention that it will forever negate the need for a stand. ;)

This will leave you options open and still let you brew AG as necessary.
A good idea if you get the one with the mounting plate.
When I got mine from some mob in Melbourne, the guy on the phone knew nothing of the mounting plate, thus I now have a pump that is what I consider is "jerry mounted".
My set up will work on either gravity or pump but it is too high, so I will be cutting it down soon and I will need the pump to push the wort through the CFWC.
Good luck with your brewing,

Cheers

March pump users are wankers.............................

HEY ?!?! whats that buzzing sound??? :huh: ;) :ph34r:

UH OH!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Thanks to everyone who responded ...

I've just orderd my March pump from Grain and Grape. Delivered to adelaide for $278, and it has the mounting plate.

I'm soon to be a ticket carrying member of the March Pumpers :D :ph34r: B)

It was too convenient an option for me, which made it worth the extra cost. If I had to build a stand, it would take me forever.

.... and the March Pump owners shall inherit the earth

Did you buy the pump and the extra/optional mounting plate? I bought my March from G&G but mine didn't have a mounting plate :(, they did offer me a mounting plate to buy though for about $30-40 :eek: but from the descriptions sounded like I could make the plate for much less myself. Interested to here?

Where's my plate :(?

I *believe* (and was told) mine has a mounting plate (like the picture on their website) affixed to the actual unit - but there's also an additional S/S mounting plate which you can affix to your mounting post, and then attach the pumps mounting plate to the secondary S/S one - supposedly to let you easily remove the pump for cleaning etc etc.

Hmmm. Maybe they got in a new shipment from the states. Anyway, mine doesn't have the plate which is a bugger. Still toying with the ideas of how to mount it. No definite decision yet. Anyway, haven't brewed for a while, too much beer in the kegs. That's the problem with having so many corny's (well only 5 but that's ~90L), you fill em up and then you've got to drink em. Means that there is no brewing for a little while when all are nearly full.

Anyway, have fun with the pump ;)

Justin

John did mention that they'd just received in a new shipment of a couple, so they may well have come from the states.

It doesn't have the power plug fitted so that may well mean it is from the states... (?) or not ....

Got excellent service from John at G&G by the way too .... (no affiliations etcetc)

Justin said:
Anyway, haven't brewed for a while, too much beer in the kegs. That's the problem with having so many corny's (well only 5 but that's ~90L), you fill em up and then you've got to drink em. Means that there is no brewing for a little while when all are nearly full.
I'm having difficulties understanding your situation here.
I have five kegs, and lately at least one has been running empty each week :(

I think you need to have a few more pints a night, or get some mates over for a few and watch the cricket. Then you'll have an excuse to brew :lol:

Doc

Fair comment Doc, and duely noted. I've had a bit of time off the beers lately and haven't spent much time at home really. When I have got on the beers I've been elsewhere or commerial stuff has been involved :eek:.

Itching for an excuse to brew but I've got no room to store it. Perhaps a lager with a long lagering period would fit the bill and could live in the lagering fridge until a keg comes free. Still 90L of beer is a lot for one man to drink (I live with two girls these days) so I do need to call in help.

FWIW I've volunteered to supply a keg of North German Pils for a Poker and Pool night coming up.

I really want to do a GOOD kolsch next brew. I'd love to really nail that style. I've heard good reports about the Black Widow Kolsch recipe that can be found with a google so might give that a go.

Cheers, Justin

Justin said:
I really want to do a GOOD kolsch next brew. I'd love to really nail that style. I've heard good reports about the Black Widow Kolsch recipe that can be found with a google so might give that a go.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I brewed my first Kolsch recently.
Sampled it last night and it tastes great.
Will be racking it tonight.
I've never had an authentic Kolsch but if it is anything like my brew I'm hanging out for the migration project coming up in Germany that I put my hand up for at work this week :lol: :D

If you want the recipe I used we can start a new topic.

Beers,
Doc

you people make me sick! (joke) I have 10 kegs..... :( but only one is "Half" full

i have 2 lagers in fermenters and i will try to do a double Ale this weekend, but hell i cant keep up! .... maybe i make myself sick?

oh well, money is no good unless you spend it, so i guess beer is no good unless you drink it :)

Doc. I would be interested in your kolsch recipe. I'm not AG as yet, but maybe (with some help!!!) I could create a partial mash equivalent.

Cheers

hey doc i echo quincy, my ag set up is getting closer to being reality and a kolsh sounds just the ticket.

Latest posts

Back