Brew Stand Shelving

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kymba

what?
Reaction score
as per title - anyone used this stuff for a brew stand?

http://www.handy-storage.com.au/product-range/rack-it.html

i have searched but the terms "Rack it" generally return results like "should i rack it to secondary"...if i had a dollar!

it looks ok and claims to hold up to 750kg per shelf (as long as you use the shelf braces when using the 1800mm beams, which i wouldn't) - at the local bunnings they even had galvanised parts as well as the powdercoat finish, and that is good because gal is way more manly than pc

anyway i want to make a stand for my upcoming build - i am thinking of having a shelf with kiln fired pavers and a splashback type arrangement on the 3 sides made from more pavers. This should give me protected space underneath for the hex and gas bottle

i recon you could make a decent biab stand+skyhook thing out of the 2100 side frames with a pair of beams up the top

oh and it is pretty cheap too, and it looks like you could fit out an entire garage with this stuff in the time it would take to put up a single one of those other bolt together 3 tier weak-as-piss shelving units from the same joint

i was thinking of using the same thing as im about to build a 3v single tier rig myself, i worked it out it would cost me about $130 to build from my local green shed

I have one of these just for storage and does the job. It seemed a little flimsy when putting it together but once you have weight on it is pretty solid.

Was just in the green shed checking it out myself, looks good and better quality in my opinion than the other bolted angle steel. The only problem is you are limited to either 1800 or 900 lengths which for me was either to short or a bit too long. Still a very cheap option that looks pretty good.

Sean

ok, i am seeking approval from the minister forthwith!

if you can get onto some Dexion shelving stuff cheap it bolts up well and seems pretty strong
i have my (being built) 3 V / BIAB set up on it and roll it around the shed nicely

i always looks at that bunnings stuff keep and thinking i should just buy a bit of it each week and fill the shed with it :)

Just went down to bunnings and brought me a rack-it setup 900mm high 450 deep I think and 1800 long.
Cost $101 all up and is solid as a rock very happy with it I'll post some photos in a minute.

here, as you can see its quite long but i got the room. there is plenty of space for pumps and the like on the lower shelf. and the price was actually 120 including the wood and metal shelves but those could easily be improvised. and it really is solid as a rock i could park my car on it.
photo_1.JPG
photo_2.JPG

granted there is cheaper options but for quality vs cost i thinks its a great deal, what do people think, anyone got any ideas/suggestions.

Price Breakdown
end things $17 ea
shelf cross things $15 ea
safety pin kit $7

Mic

here, as you can see its quite long but i got the room. there is plenty of space for pumps and the like on the lower shelf. and the price was actually 120 including the wood and metal shelves but those could easily be improvised. and it really is solid as a rock i could park my car on it.
View attachment 55974
View attachment 55975

granted there is cheaper options but for quality vs cost i thinks its a great deal, what do people think, anyone got any ideas/suggestions.

Price Breakdown
end things $17 ea
shelf cross things $15 ea
safety pin kit $7

Mic

What was the name of his stuff at Bunnings?

For the price it looks fine. Could you put casters on it to move it around?

BOG

its called Rack-it, and yeah i reckon you could put castors on it, there is tabs with holes in so you can bolt it to the ground so you could use them but i would think you might need to reinforce that part maybe with a piece of flat bar between the two legs?

looks good mjad! the CFO has given approval so hopefully this weekend

hey whats the shooter in the background? reminds me of wagging school to go play time crisis at the pinnies

I've had my eye on that rack it setup for a while. The price seems right for what I'm after.
How easy is it to assemble & pull apart? I'm thinking of using it for a temporary setup & stack away when not in use.

its called Rack-it, and yeah i reckon you could put castors on it, there is tabs with holes in so you can bolt it to the ground so you could use them but i would think you might need to reinforce that part maybe with a piece of flat bar between the two legs?
I have used the same stuff for my brewing stand. I'm considering that I will have to change the shelves for some marine ply at some point (given MDF doesn't stand up to water too well), but for the moment it works well.

While wandering around my local Bunnings, I found they had, what I think were supposed to be, little flat trollies for moving furniture. I found that they had 4 decent casters on them and a good bit of ply, and were about the right size to fit under the ends of the racking (the short side). At around $20 each, I bought 2, and now my brewing stand is on wheels.

Might be worth having a look around your local store for them. I'll try to take a photo of them tonight and post a pic.

cheers
Sam

hey whats the shooter in the background? reminds me of wagging school to go play time crisis at the pinnies
its Point Blank i picked it up of a mate who was in need of some room got it for free too. only has 1 gun at the moment but have a spare just need some time to figure out connecting it up.

I've had my eye on that rack it setup for a while. The price seems right for what I'm after.
How easy is it to assemble & pull apart? I'm thinking of using it for a temporary setup & stack away when not in use.
it shouldnt be too hard to pull apart you would need a mallet to knock it apart, my only thought would be that it could get a bit sloppy after a few times made and unmade

I'm considering that I will have to change the shelves for some marine ply at some point (given MDF doesn't stand up to water too well), but for the moment it works well.
my thoughts too mate i was just lazy and got everything at once but if i thought about it i would have probably looked around for something different for the shelves. how have you gone with the heat from the burners? i was thinking of a piece of stainless sheet over the wood?

and yeah would love to see some photos of your wheels setup

Mic

and yeah would love to see some photos of your wheels setup

Excuse the quality of the photo's:
IMG_0911.JPG
Bottom
IMG_0913.JPG

I haven't bolted them on yet (its heavy enough not to be a problem) but you easily could.

Cheers
Sam

Was at my friends place on the weekend testing out his new rig, I believe that it is made of the same stuff with timber shelves painted in a slick black.

PHOTO!
damo_3V.jpg

Just realised that it is slightly different... :( I can ask where he got it though.

that is the same stuff mate just a couple of taller end pieces they come in a few heights. thats a nice neat setup too

actually i think they are the 900mm ends just the shelving has been set up a little lower

View attachment 55974

OT - Is that MkII cortina in the background?

Back