Brew Stand Choices, To Tun Or Not Totun?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
I have an electric boiling bucket that I can either just use for making mash and strike water. Or I could get a cake rack and put some stand offs on it and do BIAB. I'm still at the partial phase in my hobby skill. My Red Ale I made recently had more grain in it than I want to handle BIAB style again (3Kg). I am sure i was doing something wrong. It tastes good. It cleared nicely. I haven't become ill from drinking it. I must have done fine. I'm saying the process was bulky. The Mash Tun looks much easier. I drew a couple drawing of what I determined from reading a few threads here. I'm not an astute reader. Diagrams work best for me. Please tell me if I have these correct.

brewrigs.jpg

Your 3V setup looks fine.

However, most BIABers use only a single vessel.
It is the HLT, MashTun and Boil-Kettle all in one.
So I'm not sure of the reason you have two pictured in your diagram.

As to what is best, that depends on your preferences, equipment and setup.

Your 3V setup looks fine.

However, most BIABers use only a single vessel.
It is the HLT, MashTun and Boil-Kettle all in one.
So I'm not sure of the reason you have two pictured in your diagram.

As to what is best, that depends on your preferences, equipment and setup.

where does the strike water come from in a single vessel setup?

you do a full volume mash or if you have a small pot a MAXI BIAB.

So for full volume you add the mash and sparge water (or you can do a mini sparge in a bucket or something) you mash in the full volume pull the bag out and hang it over the bucket (or put it in the bucket and run a few lts of water over it to do a mini sparge) then you boil in the same pot you mashed in, Add your drainings in the bucket when it starts to boil.

MAXI BIAB is when you have a smaller pot so you mash in to the pot with as much water as you can then drain (prob best to sparge this with enough water to top the kettle back up again) and drain and boil like normal but you will have to add water to the fermenter to your desired volume. I think efficiency drops a fair bit doing it this way.

I have 3v as I always got bad efficiency with BIAB. I get alot better efficiency now and alot clearer wort into the kettle, also doing step mashes are possible (prob are with BIAB but I had gas so wasnt going to try it lol). You have to look at what you want to do and what you want to spend. BIAB is good to start as you can buy a pot that you can use later on if you chose to go 3v so its not a big waste. Again make sure the pots big enough and the burner or elements will be big enough for further plans.

you do a full volume mash or if you have a small pot a MAXI BIAB.

So for full volume you add the mash and sparge water (or you can do a mini sparge in a bucket or something) you mash in the full volume pull the bag out and hang it over the bucket (or put it in the bucket and run a few lts of water over it to do a mini sparge) then you boil in the same pot you mashed in, Add your drainings in the bucket when it starts to boil.

MAXI BIAB is when you have a smaller pot so you mash in to the pot with as much water as you can then drain (prob best to sparge this with enough water to top the kettle back up again) and drain and boil like normal but you will have to add water to the fermenter to your desired volume. I think efficiency drops a fair bit doing it this way.

I have 3v as I always got bad efficiency with BIAB. I get alot better efficiency now and alot clearer wort into the kettle, also doing step mashes are possible (prob are with BIAB but I had gas so wasnt going to try it lol). You have to look at what you want to do and what you want to spend. BIAB is good to start as you can buy a pot that you can use later on if you chose to go 3v so its not a big waste. Again make sure the pots big enough and the burner or elements will be big enough for further plans.

How cold outside will a mash tun still work? It's Winter here now. Temperature today 1C and that is above average. We own snowmobiles.

I only have access to 220v out in my shed for my so-to-speak HLT.

My turkey fryer is hot enough no matter how cold it gets. Could I use the basket as a false bottom?

5Q25Ff5S03n73F13p1bcha3833a724313186a.jpg

How cold outside will a mash tun still work? It's Winter here now. Temperature today 1C and that is above average. We own snowmobiles.

My turkey fryer is hot enough no matter how cold it gets. Could I use the basket as a false bottom?

Snowmobiles... AWESOME!!

MT would be better in a warmer environment as you want to hold a steady temp.

The basket to my eye look like the holes are too big for a false bottom. maybe line it with fly screen sort of fine mesh?

Stay warm

I have an electric boiling bucket that I can either just use for making mash and strike water. Or I could get a cake rack and put some stand offs on it and do BIAB. I'm still at the partial phase in my hobby skill. My Red Ale I made recently had more grain in it than I want to handle BIAB style again (3Kg). I am sure i was doing something wrong. It tastes good. It cleared nicely. I haven't become ill from drinking it. I must have done fine. I'm saying the process was bulky. The Mash Tun looks much easier. I drew a couple drawing of what I determined from reading a few threads here. I'm not an astute reader. Diagrams work best for me. Please tell me if I have these correct.

Don Osborne in the USA keeps it nice & simple, minimal setup costs too.
I would seriously consider something like

Last edited by a moderator:
The top option in your drawing looks like the best option for producing reproducible beers.

cheers

tnd

The top option in your drawing looks like the best option for producing reproducible beers.

cheers

tnd
I suppose I could just use my canning pot on the stove and move the MLT inside during the cold months... to my wife's dismay.

Thank you gents

Cheers

Bob

going by your drawing you have an element in your HLT/MT/kettle (whatever...it is for BIAB so it is all 3 in one!) lag it with some insulation. it will be fine

i have a budget version of this (we call them crab cookers over & up here) and had great success lining the inner basket with voile (BIABIAB?), but if you are going to push it to the limits you need to add some height to the inner basket otherwise grains will overflow and you'll have a moment (i used s/s shoulder bolts to raise the basket 24.5mm above the pot)

after mashing you just lift the basket up and slide a dish rack or fridge shelf or something similar inbetween the pot and the basket. now the basket full of grains just drains into the pot...too easy

like this http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=668141

heh, who gave that child fire!? i still only know enough to be dangerous though

Latest posts

Back