Brew Shed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bridges

Reaction score
G'day all on AHB,

I'm very new to all this and after a couple of K n' K brews, and many hours on here soaking up the collective knowledge, my better half after smelling a great sulfur lager yeast smell has given me tentative permission to build a small brew shed. (Get the smell out of the house!) Of course I'll be doing it on the cheap, so no the sky isn't the limit but I'm thinking room for a couple of full size fridges, a laundry trough with hot/cold water. Some bench space and storage space. Question being, as a complete noob. Is there any other things I should allow for or include in my plans?

Thanks in advance
Bridges

Try THIS thread on Brew Caves.

Might give some inspiration!

Cheers

Most important advice is to make it twice as big as you think you will need, then make it bigger again.

Build it out of cool room panel if you can. That way when it gets stinking hot in there in summer and you decide you want to air condition it, it won't cost you a fortune to run your fridge plant.

Thanks Nick,

Have sussed out that thread already. Awesome setups but not sure I could get away with some of the set ups... Wish I could... Probably won't get it past the minister for finance and war! Dreams are free though...

Assuming you make it out of colourbond panel / steel. Insulate it with some Aircell reflective insulation directly under the roof sheeting.
I have not done this and i am regretting it like you would not believe. Make sure you select the correct insulation, if i can dig up the spec sheet i filed away i will link it.

I do live in Perth though and we are currently dying over here.

Second tip, if installing skylights do not choose the clear ones, i did and i also regret this. Stacks of light but also heaps of heat. Making fridge work really hard.

Cheers,
D80

Thanks for all your replies,

I have access to some colourbond panels at the best price (free) so was planning a timber frame, with insulation and no sky light. Sky light would involve me paying for the laser light or similar, where as being a sparky installing a light is free! Keeping build cost down will let me spend more on brew gear

I suppose what I wanted to know what would be more useful, single trough or double sink, things like that, I know also that I will fill any space I have. No matter how big a toolbox is I will fill it with tools, I suppose its a bit like Parkinson's law "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion" Lets call it Home brewers law "Brew gear will fill the space availiable for its storage" Size wise I'm not sure yet how big it will be. Probably governed by the amount of colourbond I can obtain.

If you're a sparky like me, lots of lighting, lots of GPO's for fridges etc, and a dedicated brewery circuit like I have.

That being said, I am moving soon, so my fermenting fridges etc will be in the 3x3m shed, and I will install 32A outlets for the brewery both on the outside of the shed, and on the outside of the patio area so I can brew wherever I want depending on the weather!

Cheers

Yeah, Outdoor sounds nice, nice day nice beer, very pleasant... Patio on brewshed... Dart board... Tunes... Could see myself not being in the house much!

Yeah, Outdoor sounds nice, nice day nice beer, very pleasant... Patio on brewshed... Dart board... Tunes... Could see myself not being in the house much!

build a pergola then build the brew shed under it,or vise versa,the pergola roofing (shade cloth?) will act as extra protection from the elements,cut down on the heat and help keep the brew shed cooler....cheers...spog.........

Although overlooked often (I believe), drainage is sooo important. Perhaps a grill above a drain(floor level) so you can easily scrub out large pots. It would be even better if it included one of those sediment catchers to prevent blockages.

I would be adding a wet area... not as in an area for a piss up but somewhere with a drain and running water. (Maybe a shower even?)
A lot easier to rinse kegs and clean things up then. Could even have the same stuff meat rooms use for floor cover.

Back