Brew shed flooring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OneEye said:
Thanks for all the idea guys. Am definitely considering a floor drain. I'm plumbing in a sink so I might as well... Just wasn't sure what flooring option I'd end up going for. In regards to the rats or insects, I'm filling in the frame with crushed rock. Haven't got loads to spend on this so I'm thinking the compressed sheet with some vinyl for now, then I can look at tiling it later.
You could have a look on building sites or suppliers yards for the pallets the Scyon comes on.
They have a sheet nailed on them , you may get lucky in scoring some for nicks as you may be doing them a favour by taking the whole pallet.
That's how I got 2 sheets to use for my GrandDaughters cubby house,I bogged the wholes crash patch and painted it to seal.

Yob said:
can confirm that putting some thoughts into drainage is a good idea.
That is the FIRST thing to do before you worry about finishing the floor

Use a center drain and make sure you have fall in to the drain, otherwise it is just a hole in the floor

So many people forget to get the fall of the floor right before adding a drain

OneEye said:
Thanks for all the idea guys. Am definitely considering a floor drain. I'm plumbing in a sink so I might as well... Just wasn't sure what flooring option I'd end up going for. In regards to the rats or insects, I'm filling in the frame with crushed rock. Haven't got loads to spend on this so I'm thinking the compressed sheet with some vinyl for now, then I can look at tiling it later.
Whatever you decide on, install one of these. Its called a leak control flange or puddle flange. Countersink the flange bit flush into the flooring with a 4'' grinder, slap on some silicone and fix it with appropriate countersunk screws.
It lets you adjust the height of the waste grate to suit the finished floor and you can glue your pipe or four way junction straight in from underneath. Piece of piss.

tfwpost.png

If you're plumbing in a sink, consider going out through the wall after the trap or for a neater job, down through the frame. Saves another penetration in the floor and frees up a little space.One more thing, I'd recommend leaving the floor waste 'dry' - throwing a 90 deg bend off the bottom and exiting the pipe over the garden or somewhere suitable with a vermin flap on the end. Its just easier, and quite legal.

Dave70 said:
If you're plumbing in a sink, consider going out through the wall after the trap or for a neater job, down through the frame. Saves another penetration in the floor and frees up a little space.
Its suprising just how much easier life is when you do that so you dont have a pipe running thru your under sink space

Ducatiboy stu said:
That is the FIRST thing to do before you worry about finishing the floor

Use a center drain and make sure you have fall in to the drain, otherwise it is just a hole in the floor

So many people forget to get the fall of the floor right before adding a drain
Getting fall to the drain and on a budget won't happen given the OPs posts.
Getting fall in the floor will require topping = $, a simple floor drain using what Dave 70 has suggested will do fine as its basically for major spills.
Old towels etc during brewing/ cleaning will do the job and they're cheap.

Come on think about it, look at the houses being built these days, they wack down the flooring down let it sit in the elements until the lazy arsed roofer comes around to try and cover it, then you wait until the spoon fed bricky decides ok you talked me into it i'll put the walls up next week ( which is code for when there is no surf). Put down the cheapest flooring you can get you hands on, seal it with what ever takes your fancy and get on with the job. Sure you will get some water on the floor but its not like a shower recess where it gets flooded every day. Ive just noticed the date that you posted this inquiry, if you hav'nt finished this project and not into your 10th brew save your money and buy a carton.

Whoa, whoa. We're not just building a house to live in for 30 years. He's building a BREW house. These things take time and thought. I'd be a bit disappointed if he wasn't still researching his options.

That's right we are not building a house to last 30 years, sorry if I sounded abrupt, but put the floor down and seal it and get on with it. the most important and the hardest part is getting the perfect brew.

Back