Brew Sculpture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Next in line as aqusitions for my brewery will be a pump and brew sculpture. I've been checking out many links and other brewers kit.
The one I like the most at the moment is this one.
Very similar is style to a brew tree, I think my version will be two tier with the aid of a pump.
Anyone else already built something similar to this ?

Beers,
Doc

sculpture_9.jpg

I'm looking into doing something similar too Doc.

I plan to buy all the parts slowly (mainly from the US) and ship them home. It should be reasonably economical if I look at it from a point of view rather than an AU$ point of view.

Doc,

I have been slowly putting together just such a "sculpture". For what its worth, I recently bought a stand (which looks similiar to your pic) to hold the 3 tiers for $160. The stand actually is supposed to suspend a boxing bag and speedball but is easily converted to hold the HLT, mash tun and kettle. Also, I just ordered a couple of 50l SS pot and picked up a 37l esky. Hopefully I can start puting my sculpture together over the next couple of week and will post the pics when I do so.

Does anyone know where I can pick up some 3' Dial bulkhead type thermometers here in Sydney?

Cheers

SF

Anyone who currently has a sculpture setup, how do you clear out your mash tun?

Do you have a tipping system similar to the MoreBeer design? Or just disconnect everything from the tun and lift it down?

Nice one SF. The ingenuity of some homebrewers never fails to amaze. I would never have thought of a boxing bag frame.

I've got my own "Tower" set-up ready and waiting for me. HLT on top of the brewery fridge, mash tun on an old chest of drawers, kettle on a NASA burner stand. Works fine for me.

Locost,

That is what I'm trying to get away from.
Old set of bedside drawers on top of the bbq with HLT on top.
Old bedside drawers with an old tvchair side table on top with telephone books on top of that with finally the MLT on top.
Old tvchair side table with burner stand on top and then the kettle.

UGLY UGLY UGLY, but it works. Need to do something better as the bedside drawers are getting a bit past it ;)

Doc

"Need to do something better as the bedside drawers are getting a bit past it"

Paint them!

No seriously, I visited the Black Sheep Brewery last year and figure that "agricultural" is the way to go! Much more traditional that these stainless steel brewtowers!

Who am I kidding, upgradeatis will kick in at any moment

hahahaha, yeah. By getting a bit past it I mean the MDF board they are built out of is absorbing moisture and starting to warp and come apart.
There are only so many screws you can put it them to hold it all together before it no longer handles the load. :(

Doc

Yeah that kind of past it :D
Although the current system is an upgrade from the laundry basket trolley that the MLT used to sit on :lol:
I believe the yanks call it Ghetto Brewing :p

Doc

Hi Doc

I made a stand out of angle iron and had my HLT on top above the kettle. This setup worked well until I turned it on its side and went two tier (because I got a pump).

Cheers
Pedro

Stand.JPG

i'm about to try out the 4 shelf unit from bunnings. seems to be the right size and by splitting it i've got two - 2 tier benchs. will try it out soon and see how it goes. buti would love one of those flash ones :)

Hi Doc,

Like Pedro I have a 3 tier [only much prettier SS :)] which has found a new life on it's side as a 2 tier with a march pump.

Think about the design carefully and 3 can become 2 quite easily.

Steve.

PS I have some pics in the gallery.

Dont go past the "Dexion" Tower of Terror!!!!!. It only cost me $70(inc GST) for all I needed to build it to a 3 tier. I can also strip it down and reconfigure it to a 2 tier when the time comes, too.

I knew that "Mecano" set would bring benefits later in life

Slightly different slant on this idea.

My neigbours brick garage forms part of our fence line.

Has anyone mounted brackets onto a brick wall to act like a brew tree? I figure dynabolting these on would make them nice and strong. Drilling and dynabolts I can deal with, welding on the other hand.......

If so did it work? I'd love to see some pictures if any are out there.

Thanks

Fish

Do you trust the brick work? I remember seeing in the news recently a number of stories where people have mounted basketbal rings to a brick wall. Someone has done a Shaquille O'Neal impersenation and hung from the ring, next thing the whole wall collapses on them.

Cheers
Mark

The latest shaquille chopped off both of his a hands and a foot! poor little bugger

Fish - I would be extremely cautious of applying lateral (horizontal) loads to brickwork which is what the pivot action of a gallows type bracket would apply to the wall. The weight of 30L of (hot) wort + burners + structure etc etc is a recipe for disaster, not good beer. You would be much better off building from the ground.

Also dynabolts won't work well into cored brickwork - there's nothing for the spreading parts of the bracket to hold onto and you are reducing the strength of the brick you penetrate. I you HAD to fix to the brick, use chemical anchors.

I'm quite partial to all my extremities so I will give it a miss.

We have some odds and ends in the Dexion type shelving here at work - I'll use some of that I think.

Thanks for the advise.

Fish

Back