Brew Rig Control Panel Enclosures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazfletch3

Reaction score
Hi all

Just chasing some feedback and experiences from those who have put together their own control panels in terms of the actual enclosures they have used.

From my searching around I've narrowed my options so far down to 3.....

Obviously the best option is the most expensive (do it once, do it right). But in an effort to save some cash I walked up and down every ailse at Bunnings yesterday looking at anything else that might be a cheaper option. Id be interested to know from the guys that have used a first aid box, or tool box, whether the whole enclosure ends up "stiff" enough, as they are made out of pretty thin steel. Ive thought of perhaps reinforcing the "door" of these with some ply or something to stiffen them up, given I'll be swiss cheesing them with holes, but then I finaly stopped and wondered whether Im looking at the wrong aspect in trying to save coin, and that Id be better off just buying the damn electrical enclusure thats built for this purpose!

Cheers

Baz

Personally I wouldn't use the bunnings options, I got the bottom tool box because I was going to make into a control panel.. once I started working with it I knew I was going to kill myself if I put electronics inside this and turned it on near any water.
the first aid cabinet I'm not sure if that'd be sealed either, I'd just pony up the buck and get the eBay enclosure. Although I'd recommend getting a good step drill or hole punch because its pretty tough. Don't even try and use a cheap step bit on it..

I purchase one of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00125IYPA?ie=UTF8&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00125IYPA cost a bit but I'm so happy I did.
I'll send it to you as long as you send it back when your done :)

Making a electric enclosure isn't cheap and If I was you I wouldn't skim on the bits.. Do it right the first time..

The way I see it, You might pay $59 for the first aid enclosure but spend 15hrs getting it shipshape ready to use, OR buy a $130 enclosure and spend 2hrs getting it ready.. whats that 13hrs worth to you?

Cheers
Gavin

I've just been trawling the 'net looking for good options recently and I eventually settled on a Kinchrome rip off of a Pelican case. (Apologies if these links don't work). It was about 80 something dollars at Bunnings, craftech or craftright do similar as does super cheap autos but I liked the yellow as it will be easy to find in the shed. I plan to insert a stainless plate to mount the gizmos to. A mate will laser cut the steel for me. Maybe ally sheet - whatever leftovers we can scrounge.

I can't link to other forums but if you Google "One more brew controller" it'll be the second hit on a rival forum. It's a nice one.

Only one PID to start for me but I'm looking towards expanding it's capability in the future. I want something portable and stackable so I want disconnects on all the leads which is why I'm pestering people all over the electronics threads for information.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers Guys

Gav, I think Im leaning to your way of thinking. $130, I get a box desinged for that purpose - done. From reading some of your other posts I think the box I linked to is the exact one your got?? And thanks very much for the offer of you punch, but Ive actualy got serious and spent some money on punches - I figured there wasnt much option there. Although I bought some Q-Max punches (Big Red Toolbox on Ebay), which are all around $20ish. I imagine they're a steap down in quality from the GreenLee but so far they seem perfect for what I need.

431neb - great info, I never thought of using one of those boxes. I think Im going to stay with a permanent ficture wall/stand mountable type box, rather than a portable unit, but they look great - and by the looks you can get the cheaper pelican ripoffs for around $40. As an aside, have you checked out the PowerCon connecters that Neutrix make (not sure on some spelling there). Although the IP rating isnt quite up there, I think they still look a reasonable option......

Cheers

Baz

If you want to save a few dollars, if you have a sparky mate they should probably be able to get you one of the metal enclosures for a little cheaper

Where are you located Baz? I scored a 316 ss enclosure roughly 500x400x200 for $50 from a local bargain centre. It's a quality unit and way heavier than what I need but has the room to expand if I add an extra PID. Unfortunately I grabbed the last one (lucky for me though) and I don't know whether he'll be getting more. It's bloody thick and drilling was a beeatch but looks shiny aside from all the scratches I put in it. It might pay to visit any trade bargain centres in your area.

Camo6 said:
Where are you located Baz? I scored a 316 ss enclosure roughly 500x400x200 for $50 from a local bargain centre. It's a quality unit and way heavier than what I need but has the room to expand if I add an extra PID. Unfortunately I grabbed the last one (lucky for me though) and I don't know whether he'll be getting more. It's bloody thick and drilling was a beeatch but looks shiny aside from all the scratches I put in it. It might pay to visit any trade bargain centres in your area.
Sounds like a real score! Would be perfect if I could fluke one. Where'd you find it? Im in the Nth Wst suburbs, but get around a fair bit during the day through work

I went the bunnings large first aid box option...

Pro's: It was cheap, about the right size for what I wanted to cram into it, and easy to obtain. A bit of rubber tape seals the front panel door edges.

Con's: It is flimsy thin powder coated steel, I used a piece of wood behind the box to screw the internal rails and bits to it securely. The front panel once all the holes were drilled and cut from it was pretty warped. It took a lot of time to get back to a respectable looking panel (and flat).

Once it was all finished and mounted to the brew stand, it is pretty solid (due to the 16mm wood backing).

gallery_28051_1075_1181063.jpg

gallery_28051_1075_1482209.jpg

TL:DR The next time I build one I would definitely go the better more expensive electrical enclosure.

bazfletch3 said:
Sounds like a real score! Would be perfect if I could fluke one. Where'd you find it? Im in the Nth Wst suburbs, but get around a fair bit during the day through work
Pete's Bargain Centre in chirnside park. I'd been eyeing them off for ages and he had two pallets of them. I procrastinated for ages and luckily martinoc passed through there and gave me the heads up there was only one left.

HardEight said:
The next time I build one I would definitely go the better more expensive electrical enclosure.
Thats the personal experience Im after! All things considered, very neat job mate; wiring especially has come up nice.

Camo6 said:
Pete's Bargain Centre in chirnside park. I'd been eyeing them off for ages and he had two pallets of them. I procrastinated for ages and luckily martinoc passed through there and gave me the heads up there was only one left.
Thanks, if I get out that way I'll check it out. I think theres a similar sort of place in Foorscray on Ballarat Rd which I drive past fairly often.

Cheers

Baz

If I go there soon I'll report back if there's any more. Prob not likely as I think a lot of his stock is randomly aquired. Pete never turns down a bargain!20140503_095938-1.jpg Here's a reduced pic as I'm on the phone.

Jealous of awesome wiring and buttons.

When I come to doing my controller I will add at least one button that goes beep and maybe one that makes some lights flash….. What problem ?

PS Riggers Black IPA - Pretty Good. Nicely balanced IMO. I dunno if it's true to style (and don't care much) but I'm enjoying it a lot.

here is a finished cabinet from eBay with all controls installed (minus good labels)
wettest1.jpg

sp0rk said:
If you want to save a few dollars, if you have a sparky mate they should probably be able to get you one of the metal enclosures for a little cheaper
I actually have a mate who works at middys, but when he checked his buy price was actually dearer than the 130 I can get one delivered from Adelaide for!

I've been trying to come across a second hand one through some contacts, but no luck so far!

gava said:
here is a finished cabinet from eBay with all controls installed (minus good labels)
wettest1.jpg
You've gotta get some fancy labels happening- a box that flash needs fancy labels!

^ Was weighing up my options for these last night. Soo many choices.

bazfletch3 said:
You've gotta get some fancy labels happening- a box that flash needs fancy labels!
I had looked around for labels, budget ran dry though will have to see what I can find later on.
Although it does hurt when I look at it with those labels on it..

Back