Brew Rig Burner Height

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
when building a brew rig, how does one determine the height needed for a gas burner?

just tack it in place and do a few brews? make a fully adjustable height gizmo for the burner?

if adjustable anyone care to show pics....

have a look in the gallery i think a rig is pictured in there with what your after (about 3 yrs ago).
also lookup sqyres brew rig, adjustable burners on it (could be wrong but i reckon its his rig).

...........cheers...........spog.....

when building a brew rig, how does one determine the height needed for a gas burner?

just tack it in place and do a few brews? make a fully adjustable height gizmo for the burner?

I had Mongolian 23jet burners & the bottom of my pot was 100mm to the tips of the jets on the burners. The height will really depend on the width of your pot & the regulator you are using. If possible, set it up on some bricks & use some scrap ply to play around with the height to see what works best. On my old ghetto 3V system, I used some threaded rod to mount the burner with nuts on either end. You could simply unscrew one side & lower or increase the height of the burner & tighten the other side up.

i dont think you will need to adjust them after you find the 'right height' for your burner and kettle combination

i had my mongolian burners originally mounted at a gap of 110mm between tip of jet and base of pot and found this was not ideal, ended up using a 32mm square tube spacer which made the gap about 80mm, this has worked well

IMG_1244.JPG
IMG_1245.JPG
IMG_1246.JPG

awesome thanks donburke.

do the ball valves control flame level well? or are they just isolation/shut off valves? with fine control from the regulator?

for some reason i have it in my head ball valves aren't great at flow control, more just on/off but happy to be corrected.

awesome thanks donburke.

do the ball valves control flame level well? or are they just isolation/shut off valves? with fine control from the regulator?

for some reason i have it in my head ball valves aren't great at flow control, more just on/off but happy to be corrected.

they certainly have flow control, i believe this is the case because its a low pressure system (2.75kPa)

having said that, if you turn them down too low they soot (effective control is maybe 30% to 100% output), so choose the right size burner for your system

23 jet is just about perfect for a 90 odd litre boil, usually throttle back a little to maintain a rolling boil so it could do more

i have a 32 jet under the hlt so i can heat sparge water quickly, but it would be overkill for my kettle

they certainly have flow control, i believe this is the case because its a low pressure system (2.75kPa)

having said that, if you turn them down too low they soot (effective control is maybe 30% to 100% output), so choose the right size burner for your system

23 jet is just about perfect for a 90 odd litre boil, usually throttle back a little to maintain a rolling boil so it could do more

i have a 32 jet under the hlt so i can heat sparge water quickly, but it would be overkill for my kettle

doh!

I just ordered a 32 jet cos it was the same price as a 23... (i usually go overkill option if it's available!) currently i've got a 75litre kettle to build my rig with and learn the craft.. i guess if i want to upgrade later i've got plenty of room for expansion on kettle size.. hopefully i can throttle back the 32 enough with a ball valve without sooting for my 'little' kettle!

doh!

I just ordered a 32 jet cos it was the same price as a 23... (i usually go overkill option if it's available!) currently i've got a 75litre kettle to build my rig with and learn the craft.. i guess if i want to upgrade later i've got plenty of room for expansion on kettle size.. hopefully i can throttle back the 32 enough with a ball valve without sooting for my 'little' kettle!

if its not too late to change it to a 23 jet, i would

if it is too late, i would remove some of the jets and replace them with bolts, search on this forum for the thread size

keep the jets and then swap them back in when you start doing 150 l batches :D

if its not too late to change it to a 23 jet, i would

if it is too late, i would remove some of the jets and replace them with bolts, search on this forum for the thread size

keep the jets and then swap them back in when you start doing 150 l batches :D

too late to change but i like the plugging up idea... but i'm sure by the time i'm ready to upgrade to 150L batches they'd be siezed in there good and proper! :p

maybe i'll just use the 32 jet for my ghetto gas fired pizza oven ...

Latest posts

Back