Brew Related Injuries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelbrau

Reaction score
I was bottling up a batch of my own kit creation (cerveza with willamette @ 60 and Amarillo @ 15, 10 and 0), the plan was to get a few labels off quick each time I bottle a few.
As I was scraping the labels off with a scraper, one was a bit stuck (soaked them in iodophor so most just slid off) and I cut a slit in my thumb! Felt like the biggest dickhead!
Some pics are attached - what have you guys had happen?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

At least you had the right shorts (last pic) on for it! :p

Nothing for me personally, but read on another forum about some guy getting a pot load of hot water in the groin area...fortunately it was at mashing temp, not boiling.

I was bottling up a batch of my own kit creation (cerveza with willamette @ 60 and Amarillo @ 15, 10 and 0), the plan was to get a few labels off quick each time I bottle a few.
As I was scraping the labels off with a scraper, one was a bit stuck (soaked them in iodophor so most just slid off) and I cut a slit in my thumb! Felt like the biggest dickhead!
Some pics are attached - what have you guys had happen?

Its only a flesh wound!

I've had a headache after brew days sometimes.

headache_bulldog.jpg

As the handle implys, 'Labels' I run a label business.

The best way to remove labels, either wet gum or self adhesive is to soak the bottles in a mild solution of caustic soda.

The manufaturers of self adhesive base stocks design most adhesives to be removed in an alkaline solution (for professional recycling purposes)

And you get to keep your fingers!

Steve

As the handle implys, 'Labels' I run a label business.

The best way to remove labels, either wet gum or self adhesive is to soak the bottles in a mild solution of caustic soda.

The manufaturers of self adhesive base stocks design most adhesives to be removed in an alkaline solution (for professional recycling purposes)

And you get to keep your fingers!

Steve

I soak my bottles in hot water for 20 mins then use a light scourer to take them off works a treat...

However im a sheety by trade and anything under 5 stiches only needs a bandaid and a beer.......

my best is 28 stiches from slpping with a stainless deburrer.... not brew related :p

I soak my bottles in hot water for 20 mins then use a light scourer to take them off works a treat...

However im a sheety by trade and anything under 5 stiches only needs a bandaid and a beer.......

my best is 28 stiches from slpping with a stainless deburrer.... not brew related :p

I would have said "obviously not an aircraft sheet metal worker then" but I see you are from Point Cook. The mind boggles.

I dropped a glass jar (yeast container) into a sink, had it break and bounce back up to slice into my middle finger (dominant hand) leaving a small part of it numb to this day...sucks, my hands are my livelihood - be careful

Topical, I dropped my urn my foot yesterday afternoon - opened up my big toe, 3 stitches across the top. A pain in the arse more than anything.

Topical, I dropped my urn my foot yesterday afternoon - opened up my big toe, 3 stitches across the top. A pain in the arse more than anything.

Chinese safety boots not what they cracked up to be?

The worst I've had in over 20 all grain batches is a burnt eyebrow from lighting the gas burner.

Chinese safety boots not what they cracked up to be?

The worst I've had in over 20 all grain batches is a burnt eyebrow from lighting the gas burner.

Haha, I wasn't wearing any shoes at all! It was raining and I was out in the yard hosing out the urn after a brew. It only had about 2 litres of water in it and dropped from only about 30cm.

Now with pic!

2012-11-11%2007.17.52.jpg

I have been fortunate to some extent. My biggest injury was emptying my wallet on brew stuff and the occassional sore ear from SWMBO.

Latest posts

Back