Brew Problems!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyG

Reaction score
I racked and dry hopped my Brew last night, and found that my wort was an unsual syrup texture :unsure:

The stat's off my beer are:

OG 1.041
Current SG 1.010

Igredients:

15L ESB American Pale Ale
5L Extra Water as specified
Wyeast 1056
300g Raw Sugar (to give my brew more bite)
30g Cascade Hop Pellets

Has anyone came across this type off syrup texture? If so what was your understanding of it? :blink:

My Brew start to bubble away again after racking which was a good sign, I'm thinking that maybe there might be alot off dead yeast in suspension of this brew!

Should I not worry about this, and hope that cold conditioning will thin out this brew some more <_<

Only thing I could think of is if you hadn't dissolved the malt extract well and the sample you drew was 'syruppy'?? If you racked and then sampled then it should have been mixed up more. Given that it appears to have fermented out nearly then this is a strange one. Perhaps a gentle stir if the thick stuff is at the bottom?

Are we talking full on honey consistancy here! :eek:

Sorry not a lot of good advise on this one. :blink:

Syruppy texture? Have read about this but tired brain can't pin down where or why that occurs. Bacterial infection??? doubt that

Hmmm the fresh wort kit does not contain any malt extract. 1041 to 1010 seems to indicate a complete ferment.

Wort when fermented into beer is supersturated with CO2, hence swirling the fermenter or racking causes a some CO2 to come out of solution, the inexperienced mistaking this for renewed fermentation. and yes very new beer will have a ton of suspended yeast in it.

I suggest secondary for a while, then have another look.

you never said what it tasted like

Jovial Monk

Thanks for the replies lads, the syruppy texture is like say a Guiness, the taste is very strong with a big aroma to it.

I'll leave it in the secondary for a while, then I'll cold condition it for a while aswell and see whether or not it makes any improvement. <_<

Hey Barney, I bet it is the fact that it's not carbonated and cold yet. I made a similar mistake on a Dunkel weizen I produced (first all grain), had me wondering if I had made a dextrin poridge. I described it as really thick tasting and syrupy, but when it carbonated it was fine and is actually quite light on in mouthfeel, far from my first impressions.

Hope it works out anyway.

JD

BarneyG said:
Thanks for the replies lads, the syruppy texture is like say a Guiness, the taste is very strong with a big aroma to it.

I'll leave it in the secondary for a while, then I'll cold condition it for a while aswell and see whether or not it makes any improvement. <_<
What temp did you ferment at?

You may have a partial fermentation if it was high (26C plus). That may also explain why you got action in the secondary. If so, you may still have a lot of dormant yeast, but at 1.010 I'd say they have had their share of fun.

You could go berserk and pitch another lot of yeast into the secondary fermenter, but it's unlikely you will lower the FG by anything more than about 2 degrees.

Cold conditioning may be of help - have a look at the recipe - did you add enough water to dilute the original wort or should this have made, say, 30L?

Good Luck,
TL

Latest posts

Back