Brew pot from keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangover68

Reaction score
Looking for a brew pot and started thinking that a cheap keg with the top cut out is going to be cheaper than a thin s/steel pot, any tips for modding a keg into a brew pot ?

Looking for a brew pot and started thinking that a cheap keg with the top cut out is going to be cheaper than a thin s/steel pot, any tips for modding a keg into a brew pot ?
Yep google poping spigot i cant remember now i now it involved vice grips and d#$king around with pliers. Remove dip tube fill with water grab your grinder use guard against metal rim as guide and slowly carefully remove top. Sand her smooth till no rip de fingers can happen. Then bung a two piece ball valve in her available from one of the many HB stores round. Youll need at 21mm hole bore (from memory) to cut out your hole for ball valve. Bung that in with a 90 degree stainless 1/2 " BSB elbow your choice if you want to then pick up from center or off to the edge with some bent copper piping. Sight glass is optional as well as thermowell ect ect.

Heres a pic of my Biab rig with 19lt Big W pot as sparge cylinder in top. 3 ring BCF burner underneath on a cheapo stand with aluminium foil a wind block its crude but effective. I try and keep it simple less parts =less stuff to clean up afterwards:).​

Attachments

• 20180617_082901.jpg
    20180617_082901.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 144
Just in case you hadn't thought of it another cheap option is a thick ally stockpot. easy to drill with Bunnings holesaws and a better base to height ratio.
I bought both mine from these guys, heres a 50L at $109 suitable for single batches:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stockpo...380229&hash=item464b4463cd:g:ob0AAOSwkChaoIkf

Mine are the same, had since about 2012. Nice thick 4 mm aluminium, good boil, easy to drill, no corrosion issues, close fitting lid. You may get some grey oxidation inside, but this is aluminium oxide - a diamond hard layer.

I have a 60L HLT and 80L kettle. With the benefit of hindsight I would have gone both 80L for double batches, though I use the HERMS to heat strike liquor in the MT for double batches with the 60L HLT for sparging.

What you have planned will work too of course.

Back