Brew Kettle And Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayo

Reaction score
Hey

I'v been thinking of stepping up my brews into double batch territory. Currently iv been using a 40L Urn to do my boils, and a 55L esky for mashing.

Im thinking of subbing out my 30L HLT for my 40L Urn and obtaining a new kettle and a burner to go for a more ferocious boil.
Just want to get a feel for what others have done regarding size of the kettle, etc. I looked at G+G's website, but it doesnt appear as though they have any plain kettles on there.

As for a burner, whats the best option to go for to get a solid boil going in, say, a 40L boil.

Lastly is the mill. Iv been ordering my grains pre-crushed up until now because the price tag on the Mills is kinda on the expensive side (>$200). Are there many cheaper options that are effective?

Regards
Mayo

hey Mayo,

Something you should consider is the fact you may want to do double batches in the future, craftbrewer has heavy duty SS pots for $150 ( not sure about postage).

Cheers BDB

Hey Mayo,

I use a 40L urn for my HLT and have a 40L gatorade esky for a mash tun. I have a 50L kettle but find it too small for double batches after evaporation. Doesn't bother me, I just top up with some cold water at the end, but if I was doing it over, I'd go 60L+ for the kettle.

Burner? I use a 3-ring with an adjustable med pressure regulator and it does just fine. Boilovers can definitely (an do) occur. <_<

As far as the mill goes, the old Carona mills or the marga are probably the cheapest option. You can motorise either and add a hopper. Both are available on ebay sub $200... Carona, Marga

I have a 50L HLT and wish it was bigger when doing double batches. 70 L would be ideal. Forgetting to top up and turn the HLT back on after mash in is a pain in the arse.
55 L esky mash tun. Does the job but no room for step mashing...
70L kettle. Perfect size for a 46 l batch.
3 ring with medium pressure reg will get you there easily.

Cheers.

I use a 45L Mash and HLT, 98L Boiler.

Can easily do double batches with the occasional medium gravity triple.

As for a burner, whats the best option to go for to get a solid boil going in, say, a 40L boil.

Lastly is the mill.

gday mayo,

there are a few options for burners but imo you cant go past a heating torch similar to this one http://www.blackwoods.com.au/PartDetail.as...art_no=08201657

6.jpg

I've normally got a rolling boil going by the time the MLT has been dumped and rinsed.

Mill here is a MM2 with a home-made hopper

000_0075.jpg

and lastly the kettle is one of the old 18 gallon jobs, hard to find but worth the look :icon_cheers:

3.jpg

Yard

The trouble is Yardy you have to be a handy prick to put together shit like that. I'm a fuking numke at that sort of stuff. Looks great though..............its the bag for me for the rest of my brewing days I fear ;)

I use a 70lt MLT and a 80lt kettle easy to do doubles oh and a italian spiral burner with BOC 6000 reg

I use a 70lt MLT and a 80lt kettle easy to do doubles oh and a italian spiral burner with BOC 6000 reg

I'm buying a 70l pot this Thursday. Already have a great burner. Moving from stovetop double BIAB to straight out. At least with the 70lt pot if I move to 3v down the track it won't go astray.

I have a 50L HLT and wish it was bigger when doing double batches. 70 L would be ideal. Forgetting to top up and turn the HLT back on after mash in is a pain in the arse.

Cheers.
So jyo do you think if at the very most I'm going to do double batches then a three ring burner is fine and I shouldnt bother working out for something like the Italian spiral from beer belly?
Cheers,
Hopie

So jyo do you think if at the very most I'm going to do double batches then a three ring burner is fine and I shouldnt bother working out for something like the Italian spiral from beer belly?
Cheers,
Hopie

I think the trick with jyo's tip is the medium pressure reg in tow.... a 3 ring on a double batch with a standard reg would suck hole, it might get there but it would take a long long time...

So, if you are thinking 3 ring, cost in the reg too! Otherwise, an Italian Spiral from BB would rock it...

Worst part of brew day - waiting for the boil...

Think it will just do you now, hmm.... buy right, buy once.

2c.

I did a few double batches with a 3 ring burner and standard barbie reg. I was new at the game so didn't mind an 8 hour brewday. HOwever once i saved the cash i upgraded to a 32 jet mongolian, that thing can boil anything :)

I think the trick with jyo's tip is the medium pressure reg in tow.... a 3 ring on a double batch with a standard reg would suck hole, it might get there but it would take a long long time...

So, if you are thinking 3 ring, cost in the reg too! Otherwise, an Italian Spiral from BB would rock it...

2c.
Yeah I was definitely thinking the med pressure regs aswell but hey I guess I should just save.my pennies and get it right straight up.
Cheers,
Hopie

Cheers.

John .. I may be able to help u out there ... give me a bit of time and I reckon I could be dropping a 100 lt HLT off at cost if keen ...

Matt

I'v been thinking of stepping up my brews into double batch territory.

Regards
Mayo

You'll be boiling more than 40L to get a double batch. I recently got an 80L keg for boiling doubles, now just looking at burners. The Italian Spiral with stand from Beerbelly is looking like the right equipment for the job, and also the best value. You'll also save on gas/elec and time doing doubles.

Bowie

Yeah I was definitely thinking the med pressure regs aswell but hey I guess I should just save.my pennies and get it right straight up.
Cheers,
Hopie

Hopie, i have a 3 ring and a standard reg. i have only boiled max 42L thus far but i use the 3 ring and an OTS immersion heater @ 2400W.

Together it gets from mash temp to boiling at a resonable rate. For the boil you can run immersion element and turn off middle and inner ring of the burner.

to heat up to mash temp i just use the element ahead of time, or both if in a hurry.

last brew i used 550 grams of gas only for a 60 min boil and the mins it took to get a good rolling boil on. Next brew i will time it from mash to boil. Should get a fair few brews out of a bottle at that rate!

Cheers
D80

2c.

Cocko's on the money with the reg. I like my 3 ring yet I would love an Italian spiral. The control of heat on those things looks awesome.

John .. I may be able to help u out there ... give me a bit of time and I reckon I could be dropping a 100 lt HLT off at cost if keen ...

Matt

If in a few months time to get my funds up I would be keen as, Matt. I will give you man loving! Cheers, mate.

gday mayo,

there are a few options for burners but imo you cant go past a heating torch similar to this one http://www.blackwoods.com.au/PartDetail.as...art_no=08201657

6.jpg

I've normally got a rolling boil going by the time the MLT has been dumped and rinsed.

Yard

Ok seriously yardy that thing is nuts (just checked the specs). Would that burn a whole right through my Aluminium pot? Looks insane but so very tempting.

Looks like your brew rig is about to enter hyperspace.

D80

Hopie, i have a 3 ring and a standard reg. i have only boiled max 42L thus far but i use the 3 ring and an OTS immersion heater @ 2400W.

Together it gets from mash temp to boiling at a resonable rate. For the boil you can run immersion element and turn off middle and inner ring of the burner.

to heat up to mash temp i just use the element ahead of time, or both if in a hurry.

last brew i used 550 grams of gas only for a 60 min boil and the mins it took to get a good rolling boil on. Next brew i will time it from mash to boil. Should get a fair few brews out of a bottle at that rate!

Cheers
D80
Ok so just a quick calc, by the time I've bought a 3 ring, med pressure reg and an immersion heater aswell, I may aswell just buy a spiral burner.
Cheers,
Hopie

Latest posts

Back