Brew ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Nagy

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm after ideas for a brew with leftovers.
Ive got a Coopers lager can
Brew enhancer 2
250 Galaxy malt
Amarillo, cascade, pride of Ringwood and hersenbrucker hops.

I'm not a massive fan of over the top hops type of beer, but definitely beer with flavour.

Ive done searches but haven't found anything that grabs me.

Any ideas appreciated

How old is the galaxy malt? Is it cracked?

Add the brew enhancer to ~ 4L boiling water, bring to boil, add 15g POR + 15g Cacade and boil for further 10 mins.

Dry hop if you want a bit of aroma, depends what sort of beer you want to make though.

How old is the galaxy malt? Is it cracked?

Add the brew enhancer to ~ 4L boiling water, bring to boil, add 15g POR + 15g Cacade and boil for further 10 mins.

Dry hop if you want a bit of aroma, depends what sort of beer you want to make though.

The Malt is cracked in a sealed bag and less than a week old.
What's POR

Ok so i went with this
Coopers Aust. pale ale can
Brew enhanser 2
2 packets of kit ale yeast
30g amirillo hops
I boiled 3 liters of water added brew answer and hops and steeped for 20 min
Added the rest of the kit with the hops and enhancer to fermentor and pitched at about 25deg.
Fermented at 18.
OG 1042 and five days later tested its 1010

Problem is tastes bitter. It may just be that its the test im tasting and might get better with bubbles and cooldnes.
Probably to much of one hop.
What could i do.

How big a batch did you do? The aust pale ale has the least ibu of all cooper cans. Pushed out to 23 littes shouldnt be overly bitter. Personally i would have dry hopoed the amarillo.

Problem is tastes bitter. It may just be that its the test im tasting and might get better with bubbles and cooldnes.
Probably to much of one hop.
What could i do.

Taste is very subjective - so what may appear overly bitter to someone, wouldn't be as much to another.
Just grab Ian's Calculator and play around with it - it will give you an IBU estimate, so you can "dial in" your hops type / amount / boil time / batch size to suit your liking.
Just search for "extract-beer-designer-v4-2-xls". I think this is the latest revision?

Fermented and cold crashing at the moment.

Will report back with the taste test.

Was smashing it last night watching the world cup.
Its good.
Plenty of amarillo hop flavor.
The bitterness dissipated.
I can see this being a regular in the keg fridge.

Now its been scrutinized over the weekend.
I would like to get a little more head retention and back end body.
It heads and pours fine with plenty of bubbles through the whole drink but the head just kinda disperses.

Any ideas?

Back