Brew House Control Unit Build...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psytramp

Reaction score
Hey AHB,

Check out my new brewery control unit build, just finished it today and tested, all working perfectly. I was looking for better control over my 4 pot system.

Here are some pics of the build:

The unit enclosure:

20121026_180752.jpg

Installing the heat syncs for the SSR's:

20121026_190523.jpg

Power Outputs:

20121028_161920.jpg

PID Installation:

20121030_181406.jpg

Final Product:

20121102_195321.jpg

Cheers man, I'm stoked with the finished result.

This is my second unit, you get better each time...

This maybe a stupid question but why have a pid for mash tun & herms?I thought you would only have one or the other. :unsure: Eg direct fired mash tun or recirculate wort through the herms?
Help me to understand.

Looks awesome btw.I like the labels and the input/output plug layout

This maybe a stupid question but why have a pid for mash tun & herms?I thought you would only have one or the other. :unsure: Eg direct fired mash tun or recirculate wort through the herms?
Help me to understand.

If it is anything like the one I have built then you set your HX at a sensible temp like 70C or so and then set you mash tun PID to the temp you want your mash at. The mash PID needs to be set to an on/off state to work. The mash PID turns the pump and HX on to bring the mash up to temp, the HX PID stops the wort getting too hot in the HX. He may just be using it as a fancy temp guage.

Help me to understand.

Good question. I run a 4 vessel system, the 4th vessel being a separate HERMS vessel to my HLT. It give me better control and ramp times.

Cheers!!

Is the timer used as a switch or is it purely there as a timer for hop additions and mash time?

Looks sweet but the heat sinks seem to be arse about, they should protrude outside the enclosure so that heat is carried away by convection and radiation.
Has your sparkie had a look inside yet? Should go without saying that it is vital to get a professional to assess, test and approve mains equipment.

Great looking setup mate. Seen one just like it on facebook under the name of "The Homebrewers Society" B)

Looks sweet but the heat sinks seem to be arse about, they should protrude outside the enclosure so that heat is carried away by convection and radiation.
Has your sparkie had a look inside yet? Should go without saying that it is vital to get a professional to assess, test and approve mains equipment.

This was my thought too.
To dissipate the heat properly, they should be installed the other way round so the heat can exit the enclosure.
I had a single heat sink in my control box but the enclosure was fairly large.
Top work though, looks the goods.

This was my thought too.
To dissipate the heat properly, they should be installed the other way round so the heat can exit the enclosure.
I had a single heat sink in my control box but the enclosure was fairly large.
Top work though, looks the goods.
Cheers mate.

The syncs are installed correctly, they are actually internal mount syncs. The SSR's have a specific mount on the inside which won't allow for them to be reversed. I though the same thing, however, after running them for some time, the heat does move to the outer edge as the back of the SSR is flush mounted directly behind what you can see. I want the SSR's to be mounted internally and this is the only way that can happen.

Thanks though for the feedback mate, much appreciated!!

Latest posts

Back