Brew Frame

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspro

Reaction score
G day

Just started building my brew frame and was after some pictures and any advice
Its going to be a three tier gravity set up with a 55L esky mash tun

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks Aspro

There are few different approaches to constructing a rew frame.

- Weld a frame using angle or square hollow section.
- Bolt together a frame using dexion or similar
- Organise some steel shelving or other suitable furniture that is handy.

I personally went for welding a frame of square hollow section......

IMGP0834.JPG

have just painted mine, will take a pic once it's dry and I have my setup going.

Photo in a few hours

OK As promised, attached is my new brewstand.

I worked from warren's brewstand instructions I got from another thread and modified it a little to suit my situation.

Then I got a mate to build it for me, all he wanted was a bottle of jim beam for his trouble and the metal was 'borrowed' from his work.

STOKED!

Just a can of liquid crome and it's all done. Cannot wait til next weekends first brew on it.

my_stand.jpg

Get a 42U Comms or Computer 18" rack. Three tier gravity feed and no welding required.

Beers,
Doc

Nice one slugger.
Its always good to have a handy mate like that.
One of these years my slack arse mate will get of his butt and hopefully do something about mine.

johnno

johnno said:
Nice one slugger.
Its always good to have a handy mate like that.
One of these years my slack arse mate will get of his butt and hopefully do something about mine.

johnno
[post="86865"][/post]​

Yep, what are mates for? This one seems to do everything for me, he works at a wreckers so any time a VS commodore comes in he gets anythigng I might need for my car. Plus he does my servicing.. and now builds me brew stand :p He also supplied the liquid crome.. haha

I seem to buy him lots of jimmi cans but it's worth it. HE won't touch beer, hasn't tried a drop since 1999. :beer:

G'day Aspro,

Here's some pics of mine. I was in on the design, but my mate Mark from Mark's Homebrewing here in Newcastle did the welding/building. Couldn't have done it without his help :)

KIF_0285.JPGKIF_0300.JPG
KIF_0284.JPG

tangent said:
that's a really different setup Gough
Nice!
[post="86874"][/post]​

Thanks mate... Works like a charm :)

Shawn.

Gough,
Looks very high otherwise a nice setup. Did you need to have the HLT so high? I guess it is direct feed from the hot water service (good idea)
cheers
Darren

All I can say is I wish they had a drooling smilie on here. :wub:

It gorgeous, can't wait to see it in action sometime soon. ;)

Borret :wacko:

Thanks guys :)

Borret, we'll sort a day out shortly, no worries. Looking forward to it :)

Darren, you're right about the height. Those pics were taken on its first brewday a couple of months ago and I've since lowered it somewhat. I actually like it at a reasonable height though because I've no worries with the hot water access as you noted and because it puts all my gauges/thermostat dial/thermometer dial right at eye level and the tap at a good level to drain to underlet at mash in. I'm tallish and it works well for me. I'm just about to break in a new ss mash tun that is taller than my esky you see in the pics, so the extra height although lower than you can see here is also a good thing :)

Shawn.

Height for HLT is dangerous. It is full of scalding water. The lower it is the closer it is to the centre of gravity, the less likely it is to fall over.
Hope it is bolted to the wall.
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Height for HLT is dangerous. It is full of scalding water. The lower it is the closer it is to the centre of gravity, the less likely it is to fall over.
Hope it is bolted to the wall.
cheers
Darren
[post="86914"][/post]​

This is one of the reasons why I used warren's plans except I lowered the whole thing by 30 cms, leaving the nasa burner on the ground.

I found that this height is enough to fill the fermentor without having to tip the kettle...

Why bolt it to the wall. It's built like a brick dunny. I saw it when mark was building it in the shop and I also had mark show me himself (a BIG bloke) jumping up and down on one of the platforms. The span on the legs put's it more than inside the stability zone. I am afraid things built such as this one have about the same chance of falling over as you have falling off the floor. It's a damb well thought out and totally adjustable piece of kit.

Or is it just criticism for the sake of criticism.

Borret

Darren,

Can see where you are coming from given the height, but it is very strong and as Borret says would be very hard to knock over. I have two small daughters, and when designing it their safety was paramount. Given the size of my backyard I needed something to fit a very small space and it fits the bill. It is hard to see from a photo, but trust me it is very solid and very safe. Wouldn't have anything in my yard and around my girls that wasn't. :)

Shawn.

Shawn,
Yep, coming from the point of also two young daughters. Not a criticism, for critism sake. Judging my height aspect from the windows. Is the hot water feed coming the water heater on the wall? Bear in mind if it is light guage mild steel and the water is is going to contact rusting will be a problem in about 18 or so months. Bolting to the wall if it is a permanent rig should not be a problem.
cheers
darren

The hot water is coming from the instant HWS on the wall, but there isn't any water really directly contacting the stand. The tip of the stand is 180cm, and the HLT is mounted around 120mm lower than in the pic you see there. I'll keep an eye on the corrosion factor.

Thanks,

Shawn.

Gough said:
The hot water is coming from the instant HWS on the wall, but there isn't any water really directly contacting the stand. The tip of the stand is 180cm, and the HLT is mounted around 120mm lower than in the pic you see there. I'll keep an eye on the corrosion factor.

Thanks,

Shawn.
[post="86931"][/post]​
Bit of "galvabond" on the welds will help

Back