Brew Frame Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtrekker

Reaction score
This is Brew Frame 1.0 design on Sketchup for my single tier herms electro/gas pilot brewery build. I got my pots etc, steel is ordered now this design is nearly complete. You will notice some nubs at the end of the frame so I can stand it up in a corner when its not being used. Wish I could keep it all assembled at all times but where I brew and where I store my brewery are two different places unfortunately. hense the need for portability.

Beer Frame 1.jpg

Beer Frame 2.jpg

TBH, I don't see the point in a burner for your MLT...
Either insulate it or go a rims/herms if you want to step mash

sp0rk said:
TBH, I don't see the point in a burner for your MLT...
Either insulate it or go a rims/herms if you want to step mash
Well as I stated in the original post this is going to be a herms brewery. The nice thing about having a small burner for your MLT is to bring your strike water up to temp without out having to transfer it from the HLT. Just convience really. Not much more expensive to go with three.

gas plumbing, shroud for the burner, the burner, mounting hardware
You'd be looking at around at least $100 (with a mong/3 ring/rambo burner)
Not exactly "not much more expensive"...

If you have a HERMS you won't need to transfer from your HLT. Just set the HERMS to strike temp, fill your MT up and turn on the pump and element.
I echo sp0rk's thoughts, I can't see a need for the middle burner.

Frame othewise looks robust and I like the idea of standing it on its end. If I were you I'd put another two leg 'stubs' in the middle for some additional stiffness and to address sag. How long and high is it?

Yes I know this but this is the difference between my design and other herms. I will use gas to bring up to strike temp and boil in the BK and a element in the HLT to maintain temp for recycling the wort. This way I dont need to rewire my house for two 5500w elements. Gas does the heavy heating. See ???

It will be about 2.5 meters long. It is all square tube I doubt there will be sag maybe one in the middle in case.

I built a very similar frame. I offset the wheels along the frame so I didn't have to have the nubs for storing it while standing up.

An additional consideration I should have looked at when building:

Consider making the space inside the frame (while in storage) large enough to stack your brew pots. I didn't and everytime I walk past it I wish I had....

Thanks Frag Dog ! I have to keep the frame a bit low profile as I have to walk it past a narrow patio door and the wheel it down to our underground garage. I need big wheels with plenty on clearance as I also have to hop it down some steps so the wheels will probably work best where they are. You cant tell from the views I posted but I want the front legs to have 100mm or more short as the feet will wind down for clearance.

brewtrekker said:
Yes I know this but this is the difference between my design and other herms. I will use gas to bring up to strike temp and boil in the BK and a element in the HLT to maintain temp for recycling the wort. This way I dont need to rewire my house for two 5500w elements. Gas does the heavy heating. See ???
Unless you've got a 25A outlet, you're probably going to have to rewire anyway...

brewtrekker said:
I have had a mate use a 2500w element on a 10a outlet with no problem. The pump will be on a different circuit.
Ahh, By you saying "This way I dont need to rewire my house for two 5500w elements", I was assuming you'd be using 1 x 5500W element instead (which would need a 25A phase)

Looks great brewtrekker. What size SHS are you going with?

Looks like you have a bit more of a handle of Sketchup than I did.

hey, I like it. I myself have had the thought of using a gas ramp/RIMS mash tun and kettle (element kettle) to provide good ramp speeds and good control.

screw these non-burner-MLT guys, do what you want. :)

I like the push up against the wall concept too.

Camo6 said:
Looks great brewtrekker. What size SHS are you going with?

Looks like you have a bit more of a handle of Sketchup than I did.
Adr_0 said:
hey, I like it. I myself have had the thought of using a gas ramp/RIMS mash tun and kettle (element kettle) to provide good ramp speeds and good control.

screw these non-burner-MLT guys, do what you want. :)

I like the push up against the wall concept too.
Thanks guys
Camo6 I am using 40 x 40 shs. Sketchup does take a bit of a learners curve but once you get it you have one of easiest CAD programs for us normal people.
Adr_o as you know these building of brew rigs are all diy and someone way that work for some doesnt work for everyone. We all have to build what works for us and our brewing needs and or limltations of where we brew too !!

brewtrekker said:
Thanks Frag Dog ! I have to keep the frame a bit low profile as I have to walk it past a narrow patio door and the wheel it down to our underground garage. I need big wheels with plenty on clearance as I also have to hop it down some steps so the wheels will probably work best where they are. You cant tell from the views I posted but I want the front legs to have 100mm or more short as the feet will wind down for clearance.
When I was building mine, I didn't want it resting on the wheels when it was stored, I thought it would be a bit more stable if it was resting on just the flat steel on the end of the frame. One downside of the way I did it, there is a clearance issue when I lift it up high on the non wheeled end.

I welded some nuts into the legs at the non wheeled end so I have height adjustment on that end, which is handy for leveling on my patio...

One mistake I made, was welding some try-hard heat shielding around the boil kettle. I had some spare ~1mm sheet and the thought was it could shield the Mash Tun so I could start the boil with the mash tun in place. Turns out my mongolian burner puts out too much heat. All it does it just radiate the heat around. Probibly something specific to my build, but maybe something to think about...

Good luck with the build - always a bit of fun cutting and welding.

Hey Frag Dog
All good suggestions. I think I will try to make long threaded feet for the front legs so I can wind them all the way up when transporting the stand and for leveling the front. Plus if I should ever have to replace the back wheels it will give me space to adjust to higher or lower wheel sizes. Thats the thing with these builds you invest alot of money so I dont mind taking the time to get everything right and how I want it.

The upright storage is a fantastic idea, very clever, storage space is my biggest consideration when planning any upgrades, when I get around to designing a 1 tier rig I'll definitely incorporate something similar.

Latest posts

Back