Brew Enhancer Problems - Brigalow & Coopers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterlonz

Reaction score
I have picked up over the last year or two quite a few of these sealed mixtures of dextrose, maltodextrin & light dry malt.
I think the ratios are about the same regardless of brand.
My problem is this: despite all coming as near white powders in sealed packages, they inevitably tun to a light brown colour & set rock hard.
Coopers advised me a year or so ago that was no problem "just break up with a hammer & they will then readily disolve" without any adverse impact on flavour.
Well yes sometimes the hammer break up works but other times the hammer just bounces off!
So what's the score & why are these products sold without any use by date?
Do I need to discard the severa packages I have?
BTW there is no breach in the plastic bag so I don't know how the setting process is occurring.
Advice please.

Don't think I can help much, but I've noticed a few boxes like that at BigW with a squeeze test - chose a different one. I'm guessing that there must be moisture entering the bag somehow? I think if I was gonna try to salvage it, and the hammer failed, I'd probably just soak it for a while in water just off the boil.

Back