Brew day variations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugcra

Reaction score
Started a batch an hour ago, my original plan was:
24L batch size
OG 1.053 FG 1.013
5.21% ABV
IBU 39.2
Pale malt 4kg
Munich 1kg
Crystal 10 .350g
Wheat .350g
Chinook 5g+ek goldings 10g 60m
Chinook 10g + cascade 10g 20min
Chinook 10g + cascade 10g
10min
Chinook 15g + cascade 15g
Dry hop.

When I was crushing my grain I ran out of pale. I managed to get 3.5kg. I replaced the .500g short fall with Vienna, as that's all I had. The rest of the grain bill stayed the same. When measuring out the hops I ran out of ek goldings, I managed to get 5g, so I set that aside for another day and replaced the whole 10g with hellertau.

I still expect good results. Are there any similar stories out there?

Yeah not my first time either. I wonder if the 'purists' despise such...

An apa. With chinook and cascade, I would not expect either ekg nor hallertauer to make much of an appearance that early and that amount.

Ekg is common for bittering in apa's. Hallertaur and Vienna shouldn't be there though

It will still be beer though
That's the main thing

I did the little fella pale ale last week but used pride of ringwood and cascade, just wanted to try that combination and it tastes really good.

I've been substituting ekg bittering additions with pride of ringwood a lot lately as I've run out and have a freezer full of por flowers

Yeah looking forward to this beer, the whole brew day went smooth. Hit all targets etc. I used p.o.r. in a wheat beer a few weeks ago. Nice drop

Vienna in an apa is fine. I would have just used chinook - nothing wrong with ekg, it's just chinook is very dominant. Don't worry about it.

Not worried about the beer at all, it'll be sweet. I was trying to say that Vienna and hallertau arnt typically in apa's

Latest posts

Back