Brew Day Stuff Ups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spinniker

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Did my first partial / Extract on the weekend and it was the worst brew day yet.

Let me know how badly you think I stuffed it all up:

I did 2 batches so lets start with the first:

Centennial Ale 21Ltrs

2.6kg DME Light
500g Dextrose (10% wheat)
20g Centennial @ 30 min
40g Amarillo @ 20 min
40g Amarillo @ 10 min

Boil was 6L with 600g of DME. Boil went great, nailed the times and got a great boil. Smelled great. Added all the DME at the end of boil and straight in to 10Ltrs of 4deg water that was in the cube topped up to 21Ltrts. Pitched nottingham at 25deg, and then into the fridge for 16Deg.

This is where it is interesting. I forgot the Dex. So I opened up the cube and starting adding through a funnel. Great fun took ages. SG was 1.070@25deg which must be way wrong, using online sheets I should have gotten around 1.045.

I gladwrap and this has bubbled out everywhere.

Next brew:
Fat Yak.
1.7kg Blackrock Indian Pale Ale
1kg Light Dry Malt
250 grams Dextrose (10% Wheat)
15g Cascade hops @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops @0min
15g Cascade hops dry hop 2nd Day
US-05 Yeast

Again boil was great, it except I forgot to add the can to the cube. This was after I had topped off to 21Ltrs and pitched US05. Opened it back up and added the can. Had to remove 700ml to get it to fit. Then realise I had forgotton the Dex. Open back up and added this. Didnt get an SG but should be around 1.040. Kept at 16Deg

Gladwrap on this on too, but has not bubbled over.

Cubes were wash and sanitised with 100% sodium perc. Starsan was sparyed around the openings everytime I had to do something to the cube.

So will either be drinkable? And what is the best way too get an accurate SG when all the sugar is at the bottom?

Sodium Perc is not a sanitiser. Its great for cleaning off gunk and residue, but you really still need to sanitise 'everything' that comes in contact with the wort using star-san or another no rinse sanitiser.

This is where it is interesting. I forgot the Dex. So I opened up the cube and starting adding through a funnel. Great fun took ages. SG was 1.070@25deg which must be way wrong, using online sheets I should have gotten around 1.045.

How did you take the SG sample? I'm thinking if you just poured the dex into the fermentor than its probably not mixed well and you got a concentrated solution of wort into your SG sample?

On my first brew i didint understand the instructions and only boiled with the dex and added the tin to the cold fermenter and stirred it until totally dissolved. That is my furst beer and to be honest it turned out pretty good...by my total noob standards...i can drink it and friends drink and think its pretty good too :)

How did you take the SG sample? I'm thinking if you just poured the dex into the fermentor than its probably not mixed well and you got a concentrated solution of wort into your SG sample?

Yeah, I just took it from the bottom tap. Next time I will shake it all up some more. Whats the best method? Shake and then take some wort from the tap?

I normally do rinse will starsan, but I got distracted and forgot. Hopefully this wont cause a problem. The cube was sealed with the perc water inside, and still pressurised.

Yeah, I just took it from the bottom tap. Next time I will shake it all up some more. Whats the best method? Shake and then take some wort from the tap?

I normally do rinse will starsan, but I got distracted and forgot. Hopefully this wont cause a problem. The cube was sealed with the perc water inside, and still pressurised.

Taps fine, as long as everything is well mixed before you take your first sample. Once fermentation kicks off the yeasties should churn it up pretty well so your next readings should be more accurate.

Looks like you "forgot" a lot of things. This happens sometimes, most of us have probably forgotten something at some point or another.
It's a good idea to write yourself some instructions to follow before you start the day.
Just itemise each step of your recipe and follow your steps religiously.
Try not to get too pissed before you start.

Looks like you "forgot" a lot of things. This happens sometimes, most of us have probably forgotten something at some point or another.
It's a good idea to write yourself some instructions to follow before you start the day.
Or use IanH's spreadsheet and print out the BREWDAY sheet - it's step by step and have a good look at it before you start.

Stupid thing was I had it all written down in a book, next to me the whole time. Should have waited as it was a very distracting night.

Latest posts

Back